main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Whats the deal with Tatooine & hiding Luke there?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Because the first thing you do when looking for someone is look into their family backround, their friends, and their connections. It's literally the first step. So, Luke would die at literally the first step.

True believers here, this is something.

Either they are hiding this kid or they aren't.

2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    But if Anakin never told Obi-Wan about the Larses, he would have no reason to think Obi-Wan would take Luke there. Since he would believe that Obi-Wan didn't know about them. And, again, there's the issue of the fact that the Larses are aren't Anakin's friends or family. He barely knew them and has only the most superficial of ties to them. Plus, with the Jedi's doctrine of detachment and lack of family, I don't think that this would be the first place that anyone (but particularly Sith familiar with Jedi doctrine) would look for Luke.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Obviously they knew about the Lars's or they would not have known to take him there in the first place, come on now. You're just grasping at straws now. Which is the point that I'm making about true believers, you guys are working very hard to make this fit.

If this plot point actually made any real sense, it would not require this much work from all of you.

4. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Not necessarily. Don't forget -- C3PO was with them. He may have heard them talking about the twins and told them about the Larses right after the birth, saying Owen and Beru couldn't have children (or something like that) and would be willing to take Luke in. And then Obi-Wan and Yoda would have gone from there.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Really, that's what you are going to go with to defend this? Grasping at straws.

6. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Padme and her "child" died, Tom. This is what Vader and the Emperor believed for twenty years.

It feels strange to me explaining this since I have it on good authority that you have seen the films.

7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Then what are they hiding the kids from?

8. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Proximity, mate. Use the Force, Tom.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    You really think Anakin would have wanted to talk about his mother's death? Particularly since the circumstances were so problematic for him. But, again, it's only a possibility. The films don't establish anything one way or another. I do think C3PO would have had some input, though, since he was with the Larses for a time and knew them well.

If that's "grasping at straws" to you, well, so be it. But there's nothing in the films that contradicts this possibility, regardless.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    OK, here is my answer. They are hiding these kids. But apparently that strategy is based soley on the hope that their ruse holds. And if for any one of a thousand reasons that ruse fails, Luke is dead before Kenobi even knows what happened. And why? Because they didn't bother to hide him. They put him in the most idiotic place they could think of

11. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    What you should be baffled by is why Vader sensed the Force strongly in Luke but not in Senator Leia Organa.

Except that maybe this time it was the Dark Side of the Force that was clouded.

"Our ability to use the Force has been diminished" but this time for the Sith. A New Hope, baby!

Andy Wylde and SithStarSlayer like this.
  12. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Oh yes, it is absolutely grasping at straws. It's paper thin. The possibility of C-3PO being the one to tell Kenobi that the Lars homestead exists does not begin to take away from the stupidity of hiding that kid there.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The lesson today is, if your life is ever put in danger, do not go to a Star Wars fan for help. They don't know how to hide people

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  14. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    This is the biggest non plothole I have ever seen in my 40 years of movie watching. The fact that it's also in a space opera makes it even more confounding.

Andy Wylde and JoshieHewls like this.
  15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Sure. Hiding a character from his father at his father's mother's house with his fathers last name is rock solid logic. Rock solid. Best writing in 40 years of film history!

If I was only half kidding about true believers before, I'm not kidding at all now

16. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Personally, I think the ruse works well in this case for several reasons:

1. The Larses aren't really Anakin's family. They were Shmi's, but she's dead and thus Anakin has no ties himself to the place
    2. Tatooine is not directly under the stranglehold of Imperial control
    3. The Larses would care about Luke due to their emotional connection with Shmi
    4. It's not clear that Anakin ever told Obi-Wan about the Larses -- so he wouldn't necessarily even think that Obi-Wan could take him there
    5. Given that the Jedi separated him from his family, I would imagine that the last thing Anakin would expect them to do is to place Luke with a family --> it would seem anathema in regards to their teachings

For most "normal" situations in our world, yes, family would be looked at first. But the Jedi do not have families and thus, expectations of their actions would, I imagine, be different.

Andy Wylde and SithStarSlayer like this.
  17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

And given the importance of any possible offspring of Anakin Skywalker, any possible familiar connection, including that house, would be overturned the second the Emperor had any inkling to look for a child.

dead in an hour

18. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    They had no inklings to look for dead people, Tom.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    When did Obi-Wan use his lightsaber on Tatooine? And you know that Owen and Beru actually had no relation to Luke right? Why would dead children cross the Emperor's mind? He doesn't seem like a very sentimental guy.

Andy Wylde and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Or you could just completely ignore the fact that everyone thought the children died with Padme, and that the Emperor never had the inkling to look for a child--until it was too late.

[​IMG]

Looks like she's got one or two dead fetuses in her to me.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Once again, Owen and Beru were not related to Luke. SO according to your logic someone looking for Luke would go to Naboo.

Andy Wylde and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Why? Because Anakin's mother once lived there?

Are you saying it's more dangerous for Luke to live in the protective isolation of Tatooine than with an anonymous family in the Empire? An anonymous family which may or may not turn him in and/or may be targeted for not having proper documentation of a child? In which case, Luke is one blood test away from being outed as Anakin's son anyway.

Keeping him as far away from the Empire, with people who won't need documents and who have a reason to not betray him, would I feel, counterbalance any possible connection that Anakin has with that house. Given that his ties to it are so fragile, I would say it's not nearly as huge of an obstacle as you are making it out to be. Particularly since the film is silent on whether Anakin ever told the Jedi about the Larses or not. Because if he didn't (which I think is the case) then Anakin has no reason to believe they would take him there -- even if they wanted to.

And given the traumatic events that occurred on that farm, Anakin's not going to be strolling over there on vacation. He'd avoid it like the plague.

23. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    And because of sand in his suit, Hat.

Andy Wylde and PiettsHat like this.
  24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Well, we're just going around in circles.

As far as I'm concerned, prolonged exposure to the force gave Yoda and Kenobi severe brain damage.

And if I ever need to hide, I'm not asking a Star Wars fan for help, because they don't understand hiding

25. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    So what if Vader decides to completely erase all links of Anakin Skywalkers past and just mysteriously appear with no history or backstory?

Emperor is safe.
    A bunch of storm troopers have to be killed. The ones in the raid on the temple and the ones who bring him to coruscant.
    Padme is dead but only 2nd hand info, not investigated.
    Obi wan goes into hiding, not investigated.
    Yoda, ditto.

Next step, the Larses. Not hiding, address known.

Next up watto