main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX What's the deal!?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Genetic_Misfire, Mar 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Why, may I ask, was Stone's post deleted from the "The SW Quote of the day" thread? Is he not welcome to criticize http://www.petermayhew.com? Is he not at liberty to speak his mind on a PUBLIC forum regarding his thoughts of this website? Just so you know, I read the "rules" to this board and he not break any that I saw. Or is free speech and criticism against the rules here? This is nothing but a PATHETIC abuse of power.

James

And so you know, this message does not break any rules of this board either, so go ahead and delete it.

2. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Yes you may ask, because it appears that you already have. BTW I also removed the last thread by krwade as well, but I do not see you coming to his defense at all. Foment discord if you must. See you soon. If you anyone wishes to speak to me privately about the issue email or PM me. I will gladly address the issue then. BTW check out this thread as to the scope of what we can and cannot do, take special note of the first paragraph.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1622313&replies=0

3. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    OK. I'll come to krwade's defense. What happened to his post? What happened to Stone's post. I saw nothing "deemed offensive, harassing, baiting, or otherwise inappropriate". This is a "community first and foremost for Star Wars fans", everyone in here gives their opinion on all things SW, that includes the Peter Mayhew site. During my discussions with Peter, he has informed me of several of his ideas for the site that have yet to happen. This is by no means a bash against the makers of his current site but he has told me of his concerns. He is under the impression, as I was, that the Peter site was a community colaboration of all the DFW members. He has given me, as well as other members, his wishes for the site that have yet to come about. I have no power to act in the "creative process" so I cannot aid him or the group. I have never mentioned about having an open discussion with Peter directly because I know it wouldn't be deemed "appropriate" in the eyes of the "master's of this board".
    Why state that: "Yes you may ask, because it appears that you already have." to James when he objects to the deletetion of Stone's and krwade's posts. It's getting a little scarey in here. What's going on?

I'll use James' quote:
    "...this message does not break any rules of this board either, so go ahead and delete it."

Jeff

4. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    guys,

don't worry about it. it's no big deal.

.............................stone

5. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Hmmm. Okay. <inhale> Kenley aka krwade is truly a great friend and a cunning warrior, his is one the most important friendships I have made, and I can tell with 100% percent assurance he would have no problem with what I do to any of his posts. Perhaps you are misreading my reply to James, it is a tad sarcastic. Since he and I have had our share of a duel of wits, I with all of mine and he with half ;) especially in his mistaken belief that Aliens 3 is good (but that's for another time) Jeff we are all friends here, and we have to trust the fact the "masters of this board" have to look out not just the feelings of one or two members, but all of them.
    I once had my post deleted by Eric. He believed that leaving my post, while making me feel good, would create bad feelings between other members. We will never know if he was right, but I trusted him. He was and is my friend. As I hope that I have earned Kenley and Stone trust in me to do what I think is right for DFW Fanforce.
    I have been City Rep for DFW Fanforce for almost a year, sure I've have my share of mistakes and regrets. The one that comes to mind immediately is the many times I have been away from my kind and understanding wife. My position has not always been easy, and often times a pain in the behind(like now), but this labor of love has always been an interesting adventure. As you all know we will be holding elections at our next meeting, if you still think that this has been a "pathetic" abuse of power, I suggest that your vote is be venue to rectify the issue.

6. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Cant we all just get along???? :)

PS: Elections? Hmmmm...

7. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Well, I think that censorship in any form is wrong. I feel that its our right to criticize anything we don't like without repercussions. I'm not mad about this but I just wanted my opinion heard on this subject. I saw the post (Stones) and there was nothing 'flaming' or deleteable. He spoke his mind and wasn't ever out of line by doing so.

Like Eric said, We can all get along even if we don't agree with all opinions the others may have.

:cool:

8. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    This will be my last response on the matter. The fact of the matter is this: One of the folks who worked on the web page is under severe stress, due to the fact that this past FRIDAY his mother underwent triple heart bypass surgery. I think that a person in that situation should be cut some slack. I'm sorry I have to betray a trust to even have to devulge that much. Those are the facts, now those of you who have a problem with what I did put yourself in his position, and to get your mind off of your mom's illness you drop into your city boards, and find your work is the butt of a joke. Totally un-cool, and under my watch it "ain't" gonna happen. Now you all will say "gosh we didn't know", and that is exactly my point, you have to trust your city rep to make judgements on the things you don't know. These great ideals of an open and uncensored would be wonderful in a perfect world , but it is not and they remain great ideals. Surely you have the right to speak ill of anyone you wish in regards to race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, but that does not make it right. If you were to try to do so on this board, you would have to suffer the consequences. To my knowledge these have been the only two threads I have personally removed, so as you can see, it isn't exactly a habit. I'm done with it.

I'm so sorry Ricky, my wife and I send you and your family our prayers.

9. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    First off, let me say that I am not going to make comment on the nature of this thread, because of something about beating a dead horse.

I just wanted to make mention that the bypass was downgraded to a double, and Ricky's (and my "adopted") mom is doing fine, and resting comfortably. Thank you, Tim, for the kind words for her.

10. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    I think everyone knows we are all friends here. Many of us go WAAAYYYY back. (by weathering storms and camping out in the mud waiting for Episode I, and other types of storms.) To those of you who are new and do not understand, there are times when we all get into really healthy discussions. Sometimes TOO healthy, but in the end we are always friends first and for most. DFW is a great club ? one of the first and founding organizations and the birthplace of FanForce (for those of you who didn?t know that.) We think enough about this topic has been said on this forum, and we have all aired our opinions on the matter, some here in public, and others in private. This is why this thread is locked. Not closed or deleted just locked. You obviously can still read it; nothing censored. Feel free to continue discussing in emails and private message like you have been

So, let us all just move on. These aren?t the droids you?re looking for. Move along. Move along. :)

11. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Ricky has posted a great message under another thread that addresses his side of the story. He initialy ment to post it here but found the thread locked. I'm moving it here so it can stay part of this dicussion. Thanks for you posting Ricky. We all hope things are going well with your mother.

ORIGINALLY POSTED AS TOPIC: "www.petermayhew.com"

BY: Ricky (chewtabacca)

=============
    Hello everybody.

Rob asked me to check out the 'whats the deal' thread, so I did. It was locked as I was writing this reply, but since I feel that I what I have to say is relevant, I am creating this new thread. Please forgive me.

Tim and Rob, thank you for your kinds words, my mom is doing as well as can be expected, and should be released from the hospital at the end of the week.

Now, to beat the dead horse,

If the issue of that thread is censorship, then I will say that I am against it, and that although I did not get to see Stones original post, the odds are that he was very much in the right to express his opinions of www.petermayhew.com, just like he would be about any other 'Star Wars' website he found searching the web. He should not have to curtail his opinion just because the designers of the site are members of this forum. I would have no more right to be offended by his post than if I had produced a movie and he posted up a bad review. However, not everyone handles criticism as well as I do, and it is in the larger publics interest that I think board moderators sometimes choose to remove a post so as to perserve the community nature of the board. I think Tim has done a wondeful job as City rep, and I hope that he continues to do what he feels is best to put out fires before they get a chance to burn out of control.

Now, for those of you that are unhappy with the site, let me first gently remind you that it is not your site, it is the Mayhews. They have the final say in what the page looks like. No matter what your opinion is, if they are happy with the look and layout of the site, then we cant change it. I am sure you all understand that. What we can do is give them more options! Please feel free to talk to me about ways that you think the page would look better. I welcome your suggestions and will do my best to work them in and present them to Peter and Angie. For those of you with HTML knowledge, if you would like to help implement and design new and different layouts, I am sure that the Mayhews would be glad to check them out. If they find one they like better, then we all win, don't we?

Jeff, as far as the conversation that you had with Peter, maybe you could communicate toh me what 'wishes for the site he has asked for that have never come about'. I talk with the Mayhews frequently and so far they have not expressed any concerns over their wishes not being fulfilled. If you let me know what he told you I will do what I can to implement the changes as soon as possible.

Thank you
    Rick
    ==============

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.