What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasider Force Ghost

star 1
    I don't mind people not liking AOTC as long as they're reasons are good and they provide a good argument. I hear some people talk about why the didn't like the movie and it irritates me to no end. My brother-in-law saw it a month ago and he hated it worse than TPM. His reason? Padame's costumes were too revealing! His other reason was that Jar Jar got more screen time than Yoda with a lightsaber! Arrggh! Make me wonder what people expect to get out of these movies when they go to see it.
  2. Icebreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    I dont like Star Trek!
    [face_plain]

~ICeBReaKeR
  3. SWfan2002 Force Ghost

star 4
    My brother didn't like AOTC because Zam's speeder sounded "too high pitched" and it should have been "lower". I couldn't beleive it!
  4. star_wars_is_good Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I had a friend who said he didn't like the movie because Yoda fought with a lightsaber.

-SWIG
  5. Executor_Anor Jedi Padawan

One of my freinds said he thought it was stupid that Anakin cried...
  6. Ground_Crew Jedi Padawan

"because of its fans"
  7. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have yet to hear a smart one.
  8. MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Master

star 4
    The same here, SWIG. My friend thought Yoda's lightsaber duel was "too over the top." :confused:
  9. Lord_Homer Jedi Master

star 4
    My brother said he didn't like it because all it did was set up the Original Trilogy. [face_plain]
  10. zeekveerko Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    swfan2002 - i thought that was an electric guitar!
  11. Twelve_Motion Jedi Master

star 4
    I was talking to a 40 year old fan in this comic book store (where I found dooku, and yoda figs) and he said he didn't like the PT because there is no suspense because we already know what's going to happen!
  12. yoda900 Force Ghost

star 4
    OK, first off, one person did not like TPM becuase he said it was "too forced" becuase it did not make sense for 3p0 to have been built by anikin. He said nothing about Jar jar, in fact he actauly liked Jar jar. odd eh.

Now for AOTC, same person, he had a problem with 3p0 again, not becuase he was built by anikin, but becuase in the OT he says to Owen "sir, my first job was loading lifters very similar to yours in most respects" He said, they are EXACTLY the same, they are the same ones. I tried expalinging that I am sure Owen and other mositure farmers updated the technology on their evaporators over 30 years, plus I notieced that Watto had a n evaporator, perhpas Watto was his first job, not even Owen. He also did not like the fact that R2 could fly, becuase why did he not fly in the original (well this was a case where he had absoulty no choice, ther was nowhere for him to walk)

Another person gave me what I consider even weaker argurement than that.
    He said first off that he did not like it because it spent too much time correcting the continuity errors of Episode 1, or that it did othing but show continuity, somethinnig like that. And even worse, he said Anikin and Padme did not have to get married in order to have the kids, and this is what established that they were going to have kids, but he took it further, he said "Getting married the way they did was a very catholic idea and I am not catholic" What the F### is he talking about. First off there is no continuity errors in episode 1. 2nd, the whole point of the entire pt is to have continuity with the originals, number 3, last time I checked every faith accept possibly al-quida says it is better to marry before having a family. Besides this is a PG movie, not X.

Some explinations. where do they come from. I really think some people need to realize we live in a real world and come back to it.

But the worse one of all was those morons in the panel that the Detroit News intereviewed a few weeks ago trying to prove why AOTC is a racist movie, just please go into the detroit news website or tfn archives or one of the other threads, it would tke too long to restate it here, but I am sure most of you know what I am talking about.
  13. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Actually, I think the only smart reasons I've heard have come from some bashers. Not all mind you, but some.
    Doesn't mean I agree with them though.
  14. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My favorite is the one the movie critics like to use: we already know how the story turns out.

Yeah. I thought JFK and Titanic were also a bit lacking in the element of surprise department.
  15. AttackoftheCorn Jedi Knight

star 2
    I only know of funny reasons/anecdotes that I heard for LIKING Episode 2. And they both come from my folks...

Mother - I liked Natalie's costumes. At first I thought the idea of Yoda fighting was weird, but then I realized thats kind of the point, that hes so little but can still fight.

Father - That Count Dooku, Christopher Plummer, stole the show. The battle scenes were amazing.

16. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The worst I've heard is from a friend of mine who said he went to see it and wanted to walk out of the theater because it was "so gay".

My roomate went to see it, and said it was worse than TPM. He thought Old Man Dooku looked goofy fighting the young Jedi. They should have brought back Darth Maul. He also thought the romance scenes were "gay", especially the rolling around in the grass.
  17. shogun_1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Anakin's a pretty-boy!"
    - My dumbass classmate
  18. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "My favorite is the one the movie critics like to use: we already know how the story turns out.

Yeah. I thought JFK and Titanic were also a bit lacking in the element of surprise department."

its a perfectly reasonable critcism. JFK and Titanic are based on actual events. what else are you going to tell but the real story (though for some reason titanic had to add the jewel heist caper).

TPM and AOTC dont have to be a story we already know. they could have just as easily been about the origins of the jedi, or the sith, or how yoda came to be the most powerful jedi or a million other stories we have NOT heard yet. with fantasy fiction the imagination and possibilities are limitless. why limit the saga by filling in unimportant details, when you could use all that time and energy to expand instead of stagnate?

can anyone here say that they were worried for Obi-Wan's safety in his fight with Jango? were any of you thinking maybe anakin would not go to the dark side?

yes "AOTC sucked" or "AOTC was gay" are dumb reasons to hate AOTC. the opinion that the movie lacked suspense because we know the story already is a valid critisism to me and many other star wars fans.
  19. ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  20. KosmicKnine Jedi Master

star 4
    or how yoda came to be the most powerful jedi

How odd that you listed this as one of your alternative stories in regards to the complaint that we already know the ending to the prequels. What would be the point in having a movie about how Yoda became the most powerful Jedi when we already know the end of that one too: he becomes a powerful Jedi. It's the "how" he became a powerful Jedi that would be the story? But wait: TPM, AOTC, and Episode III are the "how" Anakin became Darth Vader. Your suggestion is the same formula that the prequels are following. We may know the ending of the prequel trilogy, but we don't know the how. It's the how that makes the story.
  21. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hey, my old pal drevazan is in this thread! in honor of his presense, this post will be all lower case.

seriously, though, the only alternative to "we already know how the story turns out" would be "lets destroy all continuity and kill off obi-wan" or "lets have anakin become a shoe salesman on cloud city."

moreover, just as jfk and titanic were based on historical events, the prequel trilogy likewise takes place within the historic continuity of the (admittedly fictional) star wars universe.

by the way, drevazan, i've been wondering something. what kind of peanut butter do you like? creamy or crunchy? you strike me as a crunchy. i like the whipped peanut butter that peter pan makes, personally.
  22. Red-Talon Jedi Knight

star 3
    I visited my Dad a couple months ago when it was playing, I convinced him to go see it with me (my 6th viewing, his 1st).

He said the "good job" and "wanna buy some deathsticks?" lines ruined it for him. He said the humor was in the wrong places. *shrug*

He loved TPM, and all of the OT, just not AOTC.

Oh, and he hated Hayden, that added to his dislike to the film.
  23. jedimaster5615 Jedi Master

star 2
    "The special effects sucked."
  24. Charlie_Martel Jedi Master

star 4
    My sister told me that "It would have been pretty cool if I was high." [face_plain]
  25. iron_fist0 Jedi Padawan

because it tried to steal spider-man's spotlight
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.