What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB15 Jedi Padawan

Hi DrEvazan; Your post at 4:31pm was pretty clear.

1. Dialogue problems

You said;

"if lucas is following a formula, hes not doing it well...badly written: woefully clunky and awkard dialogue that tries to sound heightened, but fails even on the level of basic grammar."

Every film maker, story teller, script writer, director has weaknesses. You have picked out what could be considered a weakness in SW though I consider it quirky.

What Lucas does IMHO is that he puts old fashioned dialogue that sounds a bit like Tolkien in SW.

Here are some examples from ROTJ which show that this is just how Lucas sometimes writes throughout SW.

Yoda in his death scene says; "Twilight is upon me!"

Ghost Obi Wan says the famous line;
    "So what I told you was true from a certain point of view"..."Luke you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view."
    Ghost Obi Wan continues;
    "Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down Luke!"

This is as stiff and wordy as anything in the new SW IMHO.

Luke and Lea in the forest where Lea asks;
    "Tell me, what's troubling you."
    Later Luke says; "There's more, it won't be easy to hear it but you must". They go on; "Yes, it's you Lea." "I know, somehow I've always known."

2. Acting problems

You also said;

"badly acted: the performances are wooden, non-convincing"

I thought Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor did fine in TPM. I thought McGregor did well in AOTC. Christopher Lee was also top notch. So a lot of the acting in the new SW is good IMHO.

Also, IMHO there is some poor acting in ROTJ. The worst scene is when Lea tells Solo that she is Luke?s sister. The Ford double take is so bad that I laugh every time I see it. The rest of the acting at the end by Fisher and Hamil in the forest is also pretty lame IMHO.

In ANH SW Hamil and Fischer were allowed to act like teenagers. In the new SW Lucas is expecting Portman and Christensen to act like adults in positions of power. That was a basic story decision which I believe was the right one. But a side effect is that often the dialogue was out of their range. But when Portman can play around with Christensen or when he gets to be evil they both really do much better.

3. Pacing

"badly directed...plus the pace is uneven and misused."

This is very subjective. I thought the editing in TPM was slow at times (mostly to do with too much time with minor characters) but at other times it was sharp and in AOTC it was always crisp. This is really about personal taste.

TO SUM IT UP; A film has many parts. You have IMHO sometimes picked out weaknesses in SW. But such weaknesses, acting (Ahnold & Keanu) or odd dialogue ("Hasta La Vista Baby" or "I love you Neo") are often part of good sci-fi/action films.

The question is do the parts of the new SW add up to an enjoyable film experience? It did for me. Why? The imaginary world of Lucas was technically very well done. The story of the main characters was intricate with some complexity especially with Palpatine. Palpatine is a smart villain. I like that. The action was crisp. And I felt pulled into the mystery of the Sith and wondering how the Jedi and Amidala would cope with this coming disaster.

Anyway, again let's agree to disagree. It's about personal taste after all.

BB ;-)

2. Darth_Tarpals Jedi Master

star 4
    Why do people starve so much for attention, as to come to the prequel forums, only to bash them?
  3. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    we can agree to disagree of course :)

i actually agree with you in the case of ROTJ, it had similar flaws and much of the dialogue was of the same below-par quality as AOTC. but it was not enough to ruin the whole film for me with ROTJ. in the case of AOTC i found the bad far outweighed the good to the point where i could not overlook it and enjoy the film. the same for TPM.

i also agree with you on ewan, christopher lee, and ill add ian mcdiarmid. they do an excellent job with what they are given.

thanks again for your thoughtful response(s).
  4. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Read Roger Ebert`s review of AOTC it is full of stupid reasons.Why he did`nt like the movie.
  5. CountBakufu Jedi Knight

star 2
    "That guy(Anakin)looked nothing like Luke"
  6. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    It wasn't as good as ROTJ or TPM.
  7. aotcfan Jedi Padawan

my friend said he didn't like AOTC because he didnt like the sounds that the lightsabers and blasters made!! he is such an idiot!
  8. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It has not even crossed $300m domestic.

Even at $300 million the film has made enough money to be considered a qualified blockbuster. Worldwide the film has cleared quite a bit more than that, so it's a fact that the prequel films are extraordinarily successful.
  9. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTJ and TPM were crap!
    AOTC was brilliant!

We all sense that, why can't you?
  10. TokyoXtreme Jedi Master

star 4
    You sure it wasn't actually "complete bollocks"?
  11. AL Chosen One

star 5

You got a problem with Lucas or Star Wars?
    Then you're gonna have to come through me.

Absolute Genius.
  12. Master_Perry Jedi Knight

My brother said that the love scenes took to much time. Without the love scenes, it would not have made half as much sense! I liked the movie except for 1 thing, in TPM, Obi wan and Qui Gon had no trouble fighting the battle droids. Now, all the jedi act like they are the hardest thing in the world.

Any thoughts?
  13. AL Chosen One

star 5

in TPM, Obi wan and Qui Gon had no trouble fighting the battle droids. Now, all the jedi act like they are the hardest thing in the world.

It was made clear in the film that the Jedi were tremendously outnumbered.
  14. TokyoXtreme Jedi Master

star 4
    This forum is a bonanza of "tough-guy" comments. Too bad Lucas isn't mining these posts and sig files for lines to use in the next Star Wars movie. We can only hope that maybe he really is.
  15. GRIFFON Jedi Knight

star 1
    I guarantee you that if a topic was posted about the BEST reasons that someone disliked AOTC the reasons would be the same as the one in this topic.

Duckman, how can you say that ROTJ(Blasphemy) and TPM are crap. I'm sick and tired of people bashing ROTJ, I really am.
  16. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ROTJ and TPM were crap!
    AOTC was brilliant!

Jedi_Learner: Do you still think their crap?

DuckMan: Yes, I do.

Jedi_Learner: Well GRIFFON you know the truth. You'll just have to tolerate his opinion. Arguing will not change it.

8-}
  17. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    I only consider them crap compared to the other Star Wars films. They're fine on their own.
    I'm a tolerant person, but I spit on anyone who thinks AOTC is worse than TPM or ROTJ! :p
  18. JediMaster41589 Jedi Master

star 3
    One person in the theatre said
    "too many clone troopers and jedi"
    hoe pathetic
  19. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was made clear in the film that the Jedi were tremendously outnumbered.

Don't forget that their ability to use the force was also impaired.

It's funny because people said that Lucas had written himself into a corner by making the Jedi too powerful in The Phantom Menace and they questioned his ability to come up with a plausible way for them to all be slaughtered by the end of Episode III. He didn't seem to have that much trouble getting out that particular "corner", eh?

Basher: I...I don't believe it!

Gusher: That is why you fail to enjoy Star Wars.
  20. Kyp-Frisco Jedi Padawan

A good friend of mine stated that the effects were too good. Yeah, thats right. He disliked the film due to near perfect CGI. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who absolutely dispised TPM. He also had this to say however;"When i'm watching Hayden, I don't feel like i'm watching someone's descent into darkness; but rather a kid who is more upset about having to work at the Gap." Once he made this statement I knew that he totally missed the point of what George is trying to do.
  21. darth_obawan Jedi Master

star 4
  22. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    "Because it's star wars"

"Midgets"
  23. darth_obawan Jedi Master

star 4
    JediKnightPasJoDacle-i know rite. i hate the ppl who have never SEEN star wars but critize (sp?) it so strongly. they need to be more OPEN-MINDED or @ least shutup.
  24. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

No flying monkeys [face_plain]
  25. JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya, we need to saber those types of people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.