main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Congratulations, Punisher. You've taken your first step into a much larger world :)

2. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well for some reason I am able to look past all the little things and really enjoy the big picture. I love the childish fun of Star Wars. I love the little things, how the prequels will change the originals and the whole waiting and speculation of the whole thing. Besides the original films really are NOT much different and this has been proven over and over. But for some reason the public is more interested in other types of films these days. The Matrix and LotR are very different types of films as far as tone. Star Wars with the tone of either one of these movies would not be Star Wars and I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

I've heard people say "I want Star WArs to be more like LotR" and that is a STUPID reason because you've already got LotR.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    "It was shot in digital."

This gem comes courtesy of Roger Ebert.

4. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    actually that guy's point of view is indeed valid. I don't like movies shot in digital format either, they look too clean and look like somebody's home video of their wedding (See 28 Days later and many BBC Digital programmes). However this doesn't apply to AOTC where I think the digital process makes sense since there's so much CGI and digital matte work that it's appropriate to use this process. But "normal" films (i.e. films with less than 10 Billion CGI shots) in my eyes suffer greatly from digital cameras.

5. DarthPelvis

DarthPelvis Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2003
    Is it possible that the BBC or the filmmakers behind 28 days later used Digital Camera equipment that was far inferior to What Lucasfilm had Sony design for them personally?

Yes, yes it would.

It's not the medium, it usually the operator that causes poor image quality, and then the equipment.

Both Ep. 2 and the Spy Kids movies are completely digital and they look fantastic, but if you use some crappy budget cameras that the BBC bought, well, what do you expect?

What's a programme? is that a program with an ego? A "Program-ME".

6. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    Programme is the English spelling, program is the American spelling

7. DarthPelvis

Mar 6, 2003
    I see you left your sense of "humour" at home. Thank you for being painfully obvious.

Too bad you didn't "recognise" my sarcasm.

Is it too "colourful"?

It was a play on words, not the ignorance you assumed it was.

8. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    I didn't assume "ignorance" I simply answered your question.

9. DarthPelvis

Mar 6, 2003
  10. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    "Samuel L Jackson should have quoted the bible"

I'm not joking. Someone actually said that to me.

11. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I hate Computer Generated Graphics. [face_plain]

12. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    No Han Solo is pretty dumb.

13. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    some trekkie was acutally crying about padmes midriff in the arena

14. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I agree with Durwood. I think even most of AOTC's bashers would admit it's a better film than TPM; yet, while TPM was given a thumbs up by Ebert and put on his list of films he admired most from 1999, he gave AOTC a thumbs down, solely because it was shot on digital instead of film.

He wasn't judging the movie: he was judging the way it was made.

15. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    But from what I remember, Ebert also said AOTC lacks "the juice and delight" of the past films. I don't think it was only the digital quality because he mentions acting and dialogue ("flat utilitarian dialogue", etc)

Technically and thematically, I will concede that AOTC is more mature and strives for better character development than its predecessor. But in terms of enjoyment, I would have to agree with Ebert that TPM would more enjoyable than AOTC.

I suspect Ebert (like me) was turned off by the many of the political/Jedi Council scenes. (Whereas in TPM, these scenes were minimal and straight to the point) And, like Ebert, I was also turned off by the way the actors dealt with their lines. Of course, one may say they were meant to be that way, but I personally did not enjoy it.

16. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Well, when AOTC came out, the governer of the backward, redneck infested state I live in was invited to one of the first showings. When asked if she thought it was good, she replied "No, I didn't see Captain Kirk in it."

17. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Dumbest reason I've heard is, "It was too long". That's just being lazy.

18. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    one critic, in the Australian newspaper,'The Daily Telegraph,' said it had too many references to other films (i am presuming he meant TPM etc).

Do some critics just not get STARWARS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.