main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Well although the PT isn't near as good as the OT, it still is bloody awsome. The worst reason iv'e heard would be possibly that Anikan was too childish when he confessed about his incident with the tuskens. How is that possible!!! What on earth could he have done in that scene to make him childish.

2. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    how yoda became the most powerful jedi was just an example. that still leaves an infinite number of other stories that could have been told INSTEAD of one we already know. IMO the backstory of anakin could easily have been told in one film, or even part of one film, much like the origin of indiana jones in "the last crusade".

i understand the point about historical continuity, but who says the prequels HAVE to be within the immediate historical continuity of the OT? its fiction, you can do anything you want. why limit the possibilities?

if you know your early star wars history, you know that lucas himself originally intended the first film, the original episode I, to be about the origins of the jedi and the sith. episode II was to be about yoda and his eventual training of obi wan, and episode III was to be about the rise of the sith and the rise and fall of anakin, up to the point he became darth vader. not that far from what they ended up being, but certainly the original plan was more epic, expansive, and had greater potential for depth and variety than the direction the PT has gone so far.

3. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    the argument "we know how the story turns out" is perfectly valid.

If you watch Titanic you might know beforehand that the ship's gonna sink and 1500 people are going to die. But there are several things you don't know yet: Will Leo survive? Will Kate survive? Will that nasty fiancee die? Where's the diamond? etc. etc. And as far as the sinking is concerned - you know it will sink but you haven't SEEN it yet - so you will wonder how Cameron will show this.

None of this applies to the PT. We have all the answers already
    What will happen to OB1, Anakin, Yoda, the twins, the rest of the Jedi, the Lars couple, Palpatine, the Death Star, the Republic etc.etc. We know it all, we heard it all a Million times. And the worst? We've SEEN it. It's one thing to KNOW that OB1 is going to be killed by Anakin but another to have SEEN it already 200 times.

4. BB15

BB15 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    I am brand new to theforce.net. I have just left the AOTC Board on imdb.com which is filled with hater trolls. My suggestion; Do not go there!

There are some pretty incredibly dumb reasons why some of the trolls don's like AOTC.

1. One didn't like TPM (this troll hasn't seen AOTC!)
    2. It's not as good as LOTR FOTR.
    3. Anakin talks about sand.
    4. It's not as good as ESB & ANH
    5. Because Lucas should not have made more than 3 SW movies and never should have changed one second of the originals.

I won't bore you with a list of suppossed plot problems that the trolls found which have all been explained.

I guess the dumbest reason to hate AOTC is that some people hate Lucas. Just that.

BB ;-)

5. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    Everybody's guilty of that to a certain degree. I have seen people on this board bashing other movies for the most ridiculous reasons. I can't remember who posted this originally but there was this guy who didn't like FOTR and wrote something like "The acting and dialogue are great and so is the cinematography but it's still the WORST film of ALL TIME because of that shot of Legolas on the cave troll and because it's never explained how Gandalf gets his second staff" Now that's surely the most ridiculous reason ever to call a film "the worst film ever made".
    Other people say SM is "utter crap" becasue they don't like the Goblin costume and the Matrix is "a POS" because the effects are "too much in your face"

Everybody is guilty of it

6. Nephrite

Nephrite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    a movie critic said "Be cause you knowwhick characters are good and which are bad, and only Anakin will maybe change while others will stay either good or bad."

7. Darth_Bendover

Darth_Bendover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I'd just like to comment on my families comments too for the value!

Father: Chrisopher Lee made that!

Brother: I'm not here to criticise. Star Wars is Star Wars and I loved it. It still **** on the first one though. Is Yoda claiming disability benefits fraudulently?

Seriously though, I think we stil have suspense. I would give you the example of American beauty. We all know from the very beginning that Kevin Spacey is going to die. What we don't know is how. Similarly in the PT we don't know how the events are going to unfold from how they were at the beginning of TPM. The argument is just for people trying to sound clever.

8. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002

1. "Leo wasn't Anakin"
    2. "I liked LOTR more"

9. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    1. Hayden Christensen acting sucked and he looks like a Backstreet Boy

2. GL sucks!

3. Samuel L. Jackson didn't have enough screen time

4. Because Dooku has lighting too, it use to be just the Emperor, now it sucks because someone else can do it too.

5. Padme and Anakin didn't have sex in the movie. (<--- I'm dead serious someone didn't like it because there was no sex!!! that is a very STUPID reason)

I could go on for days, i've heard so many considering I'm one of the few fans among my friends. Those are just some of the ones I like/hate.

10. Tukafo

Jan 18, 2002
    Darth Bendover, you can't compare that. Kevin Spacey's death in American Beauty is not what the story is about and not the "conclusion" of the narrative.

A good comparision is Citizen Kane. Kane dies in the first scene. Is that the ending of the story? no, it isn't. it's only chronologically the ending but it's not the ending of the narrative, it's not the conclusion of what the film is really about (unravelling of the mystery around Kane, meaning of the word Rosebud etc.). Spacey's death isn't the conclusion of the narrative of American Beauty, it's not what the film is about. Leonard Shelby killing Teddy in the first (or "last") scene of Memento is also not the conclusion of that narrative although chronologically the "last" scene.
    But Star Wars is different. The conclusion of the narrative of the SW saga is not "How did Anakin turn to the dark side?". The conclusion of the narrative is the destruction of the Empire and Anakin's redemption and we've seen that already. It's like starting an Agatha Christie novel with the revelation of the murderer.

11. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    nice! i agree completely Tukafo.

12. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    TPM and AOTC dont have to be a story we already know.

We may know a few things, but we certainly don't know the whole story. All we know from the OT is:

-Darth Vader was once Anakin Skywalker, a Jedi and a starpilot.

-Anakin and Obi-Wan fought in the Clone Wars.

-Anakin and Obi-Wan fought, and Anakin was severly injured.

-Anakin fathered 2 children.

Yep. We sure know everything that's happened in the prequels from the OT. [face_plain]

they could have just as easily been about the origins of the jedi, or the sith, or how yoda came to be the most powerful jedi or a million other stories we have NOT heard yet.

But that would change the focus of the series; like it or not the main characters of the SW saga are the Skywalker family, and the main focus are their trials and tribulations. Yoda, the Jedi, the Sith, etc are all just side characters and organizations.

I don't believe the "nothing is suspenseful in the PT" critque holds water because the logic of it is flawed; You know how about 99% of movies turn out anyway; the good guys will win, the bad guys will lose. So why bother seeing any movie? They'll all be boring; we all know the endings. So why do we watch? To see the struggles of the characters.

None of this applies to the PT. We have all the answers already...

Yes, it does. Do you know what will happen to Padme? Do you know how the clone wars will end? Do you know how the Jedi will fall? For that matter, do you know how Anakin will turn to the dark side? Do you know how Yoda arrives on Dagobah?

It's one thing to KNOW that OB1 is going to be killed by Anakin but another to have SEEN it already 200 times.

Perhaps you've seen in 200 times. Other people haven't. A lot of people are discovering SW through the PT. Others are just casual fans who probably don't remember Obi-Wan being killed by Vader, or even that Anakin IS Vader.

And, as I've said before: The important part of a story isn't that the main character reaches the conclusion; It's how he GETS to the conclusion that makes the story interesting.

The stupidest complaint I've heard from more than one person is the "cg sux" argument. IMO, to hate a movie because instead of using expensive (and time consuming!) masks, models and make-up, they use computers to generate cg. Oooh, yeah, there's a reason to hate a movie.

13. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    There are no smart reasons to hate AOTC. TPM, on the other hand . . . :)

And there are still plenty of surprizes in store, as the post above mine illustrates. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, bashers. You might like it.

14. hapless-sith

hapless-sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    As much as some people may have wanted a back-story on the history of the Sith and their conflict with the jedi, the whole point of these movies is Anakin Skywalker's story.
    This has always been the intended focus of these movies and follows the "feel" of the OT. In those movies, we followed the personal story of Luke Skywalker, set in the midst of a grand, epic saga. In the PT, we are similarily following the personal story of Anakin Skywalker, set in the midst of a grand, epic saga.
    Star Wars is not intended to be the history of a Galaxy Far, Far Away (as some of you seem to hope for), it is instead the intimate story of a family, their relationships and their ultimate effect on the galaxy at large.

15. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    The stupidest complaint I've heard from more than one person is the "cg sux" argument. IMO, to hate a movie because instead of using expensive (and time consuming!) masks, models and make-up, they use computers to generate cg. Oooh, yeah, there's a reason to hate a movie.

By that logic, they should have used cardboard masks from the back of a Denny's kid menu, as that would have been easiest and cheapest.

16. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    There wasn't enough Jar-Jar, there weren't enough slapstick jokes. That was a girl who liked TPM more.

Another one liked the love bits but the lightsabre fighting and the arena battle was too boring, it should have just been Padmé and Anakin having lovey scenes.

17. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    I agree with what Sophita and hapless-sith said.

About the backstory of the Sith and Yoda: I think Darth Maul represents in a way how the Sith used to be , so you get a bit of that in TPM.
    People were complaing that Yoda was shown as the greatest Jedi in AOTC , now a whole movie about it ? Times change fast.

One nice complaint about AOTC is that they supposedly created the mountains around Lake Como with CG. That shows people don´t know most of the time something´s CG or not , except it´s obvious it couldn´t be created by other means like the arena beasts or the spinning Yoda , or they´ve read an article about a particular scene being CG.

18. master-kevin

master-kevin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    The worst reason I ever herd was that when they saw it they said that the clones did not fight enough.

I litterally screamed at the kid because the whole end is basically the clone battle.
    Oh and onother person said Yoda looked a little to animated.

Then I said that that was as good as it can get. In my opinion Yoda looked cooler than all if the other ones.

19. BobaJangoRulz

BobaJangoRulz Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    My cousin told me he hates it just because I love it.

20. Mapper

Mapper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I have yet to actually meet anyone who did not like it. The only people who seem to hate it besides critics are people on these message boards. I beleive these are the same people asking me if I want fries with my hamburger.

21. Bariss_Coffee

Bariss_Coffee Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    My mom told me that she can't understand why Owen and Vader don't know who Threepio or Artoo are in the Original Trilogy. She's not a major fan, so she doesn't want to hear any theories or anything. She says until George Lucas explains the Threepio/Artoo problem, she hates Star Wars.

No logic there.

22. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I know one person who didn't like it because it 'had too many stupid looking aliens in it.'

23. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Plastiqphantom, I love number 5 (they did not have sex)

Does this person who said this have the slightest clue that this movie is rated PG?

24. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    "if you know your early star wars history, you know that lucas himself originally intended the first film, the original episode I, to be about the origins of the jedi and the sith. episode II was to be about yoda and his eventual training of obi wan, and episode III was to be about the rise of the sith and the rise and fall of anakin, up to the point he became darth vader."

PPOR

Thank you

25. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    PPOR

he he he! it'll never happen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.