main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by seasider, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    the PT equivalent of this scene, which attempts to show the connection between anakin and obi wan, amounts to some lines of dialogue in an elevator. they "say" they are close, that anakin considers obi wan to be a father, yet in this VISUAL STORYTELLING, we never get to SEE that they are close, they just talk about it in expository dialogue.

DrE, did you see how worried Obi-Wan looked when he couldn't contact Anakin on Naboo. Or the part where Anakin risked his life to go to Geonosis to rescue Obi-Wan? Or when Anakin leapt in front of Dooku's saber just as he was about to strike Obi-Wan?
    If that isn't showing their friendship in a VISUAL way, I don't know what is.

Anyway, I thought this thread was meant to discuss dumb reasons people hate AOTC, not whether the film was any good or not?

2. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    stupidist complaint about AOTC- DR E using a thread to discuss the stupidist complaints about ATOC instead using it as a forum to bash every single aspect of the movie and not talking about the stupidist complianits he heard, rather talking about how stupid it is not to complain about it.

3. yoda900

Apr 28, 2002
    OH, and one more thing.

This thing about the PT being bad because you don't have people lining up to see them any more, and they don't play very long. hmm vey interesting.

TPM- had fans lined up just like ANH did, it played from May til February, that is quite long, about 9-10 monhts, and in the regualr theater it played til The end of October and then a coule weeks again in December thourgh early Jan once they did the special charity thingy.

AOTC, it started in May too, it is now the middle of August and is still playing in main theaters not many mind you, but it has not been in the dollar shows yet except maby a few places here and there. it is still in the top 15 afte 3 fullm onths, and I am sre it will last at least til December or Jan once it does hit the dollar theaters. Most movies dont lst 6 weeks or more in the main theaters.

Now, also, TPM made $431 million
    AOTC is right at around $300 million
    both are in the top 13 all time.
    Fans are not seeing them ?????

I must be completely delusional I guess.

4. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm glad so many of you here agree with me. It's nice to see people back up what they say with intellegent responses when people like DrEvazan post unintellegent responses. He couldn't respond to my last post intellegently, and he hasn't been able to post intellegently to anyone else's either. He's consumed by his initial reactions and feelings and cannot accept anything else. Same goes for that Tokyo guy.

Oh well.

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    good one foxbat. next you should call me a baby and say im not allowed on your part of the playground.

Well you certainly do whine and cry like a baby...

6. Nephrite

Nephrite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    stupidist complaint about AOTC- DR E using a thread to discuss the stupidist complaints about ATOC instead using it as a forum to bash every single aspect of the movie and not talking about the stupidist complianits he heard, rather talking about how stupid it is not to complain about it,

Yeah, he has the ability to make any thread a personal GL attack front.

7. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    Sometimes I wonder if DrE has even seen attack of the clones. He's just so far off!!

8. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    because i have complaints i am characterized as a whiny baby.

the title of this thread is clearly biased and one-sided. i was under the impression this sort of thing wasnt allowed on this forum. since its here i will feel free to dsicuss and give my views on the topic. if you dont like it, dont read it. but try and show the maturity that a few of the posters here have shown, and avoid personal attacks in the future. it only serves to make you look childish and ill-equipped to respond to points you disagree with.

9. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Dumbest reason I've heard for not liking AOTC:

"There was too much BATTLE in the final act. I wanted to see more character development, not a bunch of clones fighting and ships exploding."

To which I reply that the title of the series is Star WARS. The name of the film is ATTACK of the Clones. Things are going to explode, and clones are going to attack! Why go see it if you don't like battle scenes? Gee whiz.

10. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    re: lines at the theater for the OT v. no lines for AOTC.

yes people waited in line for AOTC, but the lines left once the film opened. the people were in line to see it first, not again and again. the difference is with the films of the OT, they were in theaters longer and had lines for them almost the entire time, not lines that dissappeared after the first few showings.
    i saw TPM for the second time on the sixth day of its run. there were about 10 people in the theater, this was a major multiplex, early evening. that would have been unheard of in the days of the OT.

"And since you believe that the PT is not necessary to know what happened, I want you, using only evidence from the OT, to tell me the following things:

How did Palpatine become Emperor?
    How did Anakin become Vader?
    How were the Jedi killed?
    What was the Old Republic like?
    Who was Luke and Leia's mother?
    What were the Clone Wars?"

i think i have somewhat answered these questions, but ill gladly rephrase my take
    on it since you dont seem to be satisfied.

why is it important to know these things? what is it that these answers provide that adds anything to the saga?

in the PT, it is my opinion that answers to questions like "how were the jedi killed" are handled in such a sloppy and meaningless manner that it would have served the story better to leave us wondering, as evidenced by threads which ask "which jedi were killed?" and "which jedi are left after the arena battle?".

all in all i think the answers provided to these questions are so unremarkable and unsatisfying that they end up hurting the saga more than they help it.

at last we know who luke and leias mother is, barring a surprise turn in episode III. are you happy with this? are you happy that you now know that the mother of the twins was a stiffly acted, unemotional and one dimensional character? do you see traits inherited by luke and leia from her? i certainly do not, as i can barely determine what kind of person she is even after two films.

if you really dont think these things could have been done better and more faithful to the spirit of the saga, very well. i disagree. and that is why i think "we know what the ending is" is a reasonable complaint about AOTC and the PT in general.

11. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Here I am butting into someone else's discussion, but I would like to opine that the answers to the above-listed queries are answered quite satisfactorily in the OT. The PT, in my opinion, is not essential viewing in order to understand the OT's plot, or its issues of loyalty, friendship, love, sacrifice, and family ...

... but it sure is fun to watch the details unfold!

12. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    To wit:

"How did Palpatine become Emperor?"

Without reading the novelizations, our best guess is that he used his darkside powers. Do we really need to know more than that for the purposes of the OT?

"How did Anakin become Vader?"

Consumed by the dark side, he betrayed and murdered himself. The good man who had been a clone war hero died, becoming the twisted and evil machine.

"How were the Jedi killed?"

By Darth Vader! He helped the Emp. hunt them down and kill them.

"What was the Old Republic like?"

More civilized than in the later, dark times.

"Who was Luke and Leia's mother?"

Sad and beautiful. What else do you need?

"What were the Clone Wars?"

Apparently the wars that led to the Empire taking over the galaxy. Again, what else do you need for the purposes of the OT's plot?

I think Dr Evazan makes a good case for the PT's lack of necessity. But I still love TPM and AOTC!

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    EDIT: Oops, double post!

14. Gaudior

Gaudior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002
    The dumbest reason? "Anakin is whiny."

...they act like it's a blunder...

15. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Right, Gaudior! As if the man who will be Darth Vader should be constantly cheerful, and have gleaming teeth. I have a friend who claims:

"Anakin is unlikeable. We never see him do anything overtly heroic, in a self-sacrificing way. He's selfish and morose and brooding!"

To which I reply, did you see Ep.I? I know you did 'cause you were sitting right next to me in the theater! Anakin was once an unselfish child; now he's a power-hungry adolescent. Let's try to keep up with the plot points, people! He's supposed to be a grumbly, dissatisfied teenager. Like every single teenager in the known world!

16. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    yes people waited in line for AOTC, but the lines left once the film opened. the people were in line to see it first, not again and again. the difference is with the films of the OT, they were in theaters longer and had lines for them almost the entire time, not lines that dissappeared after the first few showings.
    i saw TPM for the second time on the sixth day of its run. there were about 10 people in the theater, this was a major multiplex, early evening. that would have been unheard of in the days of the OT.

How many screens did the OT open on compared to the PT? Back in 1977-1983, if a theater had more than 5 screens it was huge. I don't remember any of the OT movies playing on more than 1 screen at a theater. And even if one of the early 10 screen multiplexs had it, it was on 2 screens for 2-3 weeks, not 12 like they are now.

AOTC was playing on 3 screens at 5 different theaters all within 20 miles of each other here in Boston.

Ask again where the lines were, stupid.

What's the dumbest excuse for hating AOTC?

"Hi, I'm DrEvazan."

17. dash101

dash101 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    [image=http://www.datecc.de/bilder/woag/bilder/browser/browser05d.gif]

For me, the -Evil Blink- was still the worse excuse I've ever heard....

I mean really people...

Blaim it on the Blink...
    [face_plain]

-dash101

18. yoda900

Apr 28, 2002
    Dr. E

You have not really answered that girl's questions. you are twisting words to sound like you are answering them. In fact your answer for who is the mother you said Padme. interesting, you are referring to the PT, not the OT, thus that proves your answer is incorrect on that one.

The reason this girl asked about the questions is becuase the point of the PT is to show HOW everything in the OT came to be, yes, we had some idea of what may have happened based on all the referecnes, which I clearly listed just about all of them albiet i may have missed 2 or 3, but none of those answer her questions. One of the reasons she is asking you is becuase I believe you said in an earilier post that you thought the PT should be something else, that it should have surprises, or that possibly it should focus on another period like 1000 years ago when the sith were last around.
    Again, GL said the back story to the OT is what he is basing the prequels on, he had to know how the emporor came to power, how vader went bad etc..

And by the way, I disagree with you on Padme. Padme is a very excellent character to be the mother of luke and leia. She is not a damsel in distress, she hold her own, she is courageous and she is pretty, caring and very strong.
    You may try to argue otherwise, but it is impossilbe to agree with those characteristics of her, but I think you just think Portman is not a good actress or something. If she sounds stale, it is becuase she is talking like a queen is supposed to talk, or a senator. She sounded fine in the meadow scene, which she was free to talk normally.

also, the one person is correct, the OT started out in a few theaters and built up and up. As I have already stated, I have done some investigating and found that if you compare the first run of ANH with TPM, TPM did rougly 93% of the tickets sold that ANH did. AOTC at 300 mil is close to 90% of what ESB did in its initial run. I found the numbres a long long time ago, but nonetheless I did this research once and found this to be true. So just as many people almost are seeing these.

NO, I do not believe that is against the forum's rules to have a thread title that is one sided, it is however against the rules I think to not allow opposition of sides throughout the entire overall forum. There are 1 sided forums that attack AOTC as well, but most of those are shut down becuase htis is not an attack board. It shows signs of aggression.

From reading your posts, I think you are bitter at Geogre lUcas. You saw the the OT when you were a child and you loved it, now you are an adult and more sophisticated and so the new movies, while very closely following what a SW movie should be, is something thta you can not see or appreciate. That is why you do not get that same magic you did as a kid.

I don't hate you or anything, and I am sorry if I offended you by using your name as stupidist complaint, I do not ever single out anyone on these boards hardly ever, but the things I said were complaints I thought were stupid were by some o f my very best freinds, so if I used you, it is of no shame. In your mind, I probablyl just misunderstand you completely.

I don't think hardly any of the people on here understand you, that is part of the problem. the only people supporting you on this thread are people that are well established bashers anyway.

The reason I believe you are being somewhat irrationale is that even some bashers, will argue but sometimes tell us that they understand our differing viewpoints and can see where others are coming from, but simply defending thier opinion while seeing the others. You however, have not shown so far that you are doing this, you are arguing every single point that anyone says is good on here to a point of no return, there seems to be no good for you in this movie at all, you see only bad, all bad, and nothing but bad, so help you G-d.

If I am wrong about that, please point me to a post you wrote that shows I am wrong and I will go look at it.

that is all

19. The_JediOutcast

The_JediOutcast Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2002
    I've heard 2 extremely stupid ones.

"I didn't like AOTC because I couldn't understand it"

If you can comprehend 7th grade reading, you can at least get the basic idea of AOTC.

"AOTC is dumb, just like all StarWars movies. I'm not a fan"

Then why'd you see it?

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    why is it important to know these things? what is it that these answers provide that adds anything to the saga?

If you can't see for yourself what the prequel trilogy adds to the saga then there is simply no explaining it to you.

And taking your argument and attitude even further, you could argue that the only film you really need to watch is Return Of The Jedi since the rest of the films are nothing but a set up for the final chapter anyway.

So to answer the question, "What's the dumbest reason you've heard for someone hating AOTC?" Oh, that's easy: "It adds nothing to the saga."

21. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

"...lines that disappeared after a few showings."

If no one went to see TPM after the first few showings, how did it manage to stay in theaters through October, exactly?

Answer: The evil George Lucas *hypnotized* theater owners to keep renting the film --- at a high financial loss, of course --- along with the accountants who keep track of Box Office receipts...

How could I possibly have forgotten George Lucas's amazing hypnotizing abilities?

22. The_Film_Hippie

The_Film_Hippie Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2001
    Okay, we don't see Obi-Wan as Anakin's father? He harps at him: "Don't loose it again!" "What took you so long?" Tells him who he should and should not associate with: "She's a politican, and not to be trusted." "Palpatine is a politian as well." And runs him down for trying to help: "We came to rescue you." "Good job."

Sounds like my dad to me.

saw TPM for the second time on the sixth day of its run. there were about 10 people in the theater, this was a major multiplex, early evening. that would have been unheard of in the days of the OT.

Someone else mentioned the number of screens, also look at the fact that TPM was released in 1999.... major competition. Furthermore the Internet was just a fledgling idea, and home video hadn't taken off either so there was much less of a bootleg market in 77-83.

Ultimately DrE the "lack of suspense" argument falls flat and here's why... by that logic there's no point in watching ANY movie more than once because "we already know what's gonna happen."

Furthermore, what about movies like Clerks or Slacker or the best example, the play Waiting for Godot where nothing happens? What's the point of them? Nothing happens.

As for the dumbest reason... Dexster. This wasn't a complaint about the animation or the scene or anything. He just didn't like the character of Dexster, and thus hates the movies.

23. BB15

BB15 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    I think DrEvazan is doing us a service IMHO because he is illustrating some nit picking and irrational complaints about the new SW right here. No need to remember a lame complaint, just read this thread.

Weak complaint number 1; The length of lines at a theater determines how good a movie is;

"people waited in line for AOTC, but the lines left once the film opened...with the films of the OT, they were in theaters longer them almost the entire time"

Boy this has so many problems, such as comparing movies from the late 70's (a very different entertainment environment) with movies today. But the biggest problem is what does the length of a movie line have to do with the quality of a movie? Is Blade Runner bad because it had no lines? This is really sad. Or the flip side of this weak argument, a SW movie must have the biggest box office, it must be the hottest movie among everyone or it is bad. Pretty lame IMHO.

Weak complaint #2; Prequels are bad because they tell us things we already know such as that people were born and did things which go on in latter movies;

"why is it important to know these things? what is it that these answers provide that adds anything to the saga?...it is my opinion that answers to questions like "how were the jedi killed" are handled in such a sloppy and meaningless manner that it would have served the story better to leave us wondering"

So, by this "logic" all prequels are bad including the Silmarillion because they tell us things that we don't need to know. Let's continue, why do we need to know any history whether about the development of fantasy literature or political history? After all we know we exist and that stories exist, why find out where our society came from and how myths evolved? To the final conclusion, after all the Greek playwrights concluded that all stories in literature have basic patterns, so why read fiction if we pretty much know how a story will turn out? It's a logical dead end. Again pretty lame IMHO.

BB ;-)

24. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I think the crybabies in this forum are doing me a service too. Shovelling through and analyzing all of these false analogies, false dilemmas, straw man attacks, and -- certainly most popular -- ad hominem attacks will make it very easy for me to become captain of the debate club.

So thank you crybabies for all of your stupid posts!
    (^_^)

25. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "And taking your argument and attitude even further, you could argue that the only film you really need to watch is Return Of The Jedi since the rest of the films are nothing but a set up for the final chapter anyway."

not at all... the films of the OT are a completely different case because it was a story that was unfolding, not one that had already been told. with the films of the PT, its been COVERED. with the films of the OT each film added a new part of the story as it unfolded.

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED wrote:

"Ask again where the lines were, stupid.

What's the dumbest excuse for hating AOTC?

"Hi, I'm DrEvazan."

i have a feeling you will have to change your name to I_WAS_JUST_BANNED_AGAIN any day now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.