main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's the "essential checklist" for IX? (not what you want, but what it needs)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    - The events of TLJ being just a bad dream via Finn.
    - No Rose.
    - No porgs.
    - Rey actually 'learning' things instead of just doing them.
    - Poe returning to his canon self.
    - Finn being a character and not a caricature.
    - An actual hero trio to care about.
    - Kyle Ron actually dying like a villain.

ChildOfWinds and CaptainEO like this.
  2. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    - Can't believe I forgot about Chewie. Thanks TLJ.
    -- Was there even any grievance for Han?
    - Less big war moments and instead more character moments.
    - We still have no idea what the purpose of both facions -FO/TR] is.

3. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Updated (and final)
    1. Ben Solo/Kylo Ren must cemment himself as the greatest antagonist in Star Wars and not be redeemed and killed.
    2. The new Republic/Resistance must learn from previous mistakes.
    3. Rey must evolve, grow and finish this part of arc in a manner of the spirit of her character.
    4. Poe Dameron and Hux's next confrontation needs to have more development and be the (war of wars) and carry out through most of the film in some manner.
    5. Their needs to be closure for Luke, Leia and Han Solo.

4. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    Anakin force ghost to appear to his grandson Ben, show him Anakin's true self and urge him not to give up love for power like he did.

Ben and Rey meet in the middle and find that balance together.

5. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Long live the Supreme Leader!! :kylo::kylosaber:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    1. Force Ghost Luke mentoring/guiding Rey as she becomes a full-fledged Jedi and restores the Order in some shape.
    2. A galaxy under the control of the First Order, but factional turmoil within threatening it.
    3. Death of Leia off-screen; no recast.
    4. Knights of Ren.
    5. Decisive and total victory over the First Order achieved by learning from the mistakes that allowed the First Order to rise.
    6. Meaningful screen time and banter for R2 and C-3PO.
    7. Finn should grow into a hero's role and Poe into that of a leader.
    8. Last and most importantly, a fun story that resolves all of the questions/conflicts set up in the previous two movies.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why do you think an off-screen death for Leia is "needed" for IX?

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Why Kylo was susceptible to Snoke in the first place. Don’t leave it to us to come up with a head cannon reason for how the son of Han and Leia fell in with Supreme Leader Snoke. They have to tell us.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    An Ithorian.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Proper closure to the Kylo/Leia relationship or even a moment together.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    1- An appropriately climactic and resonant conflict that feels connected to everything we've seen before; the heroes side needs to feel like they're preserving the victory from ROTJ, and the villains need to be on par with the Empire.
    2 - Good use of Rey and Finn as our main heroes. This is, ultimately, *their* movie, and *their* trilogy. There must be no shortchanging of their roles as the primary protagonists; Rey needs to be the main hero that TLJ delayed her from being, and Finn can't be wasted in some BS side plot.
    3 - Kylo Ren living up to the villain role TFA and TLJ have groomed him into. They didn't have him kill Han and usurp Snoke just to have him be an incompetent non-threat or anti-hero in the final film. He should die evil, because that's boring, he shouldn't get redemption than death, because that's been done, and he can't get a happy ending, because that's just not possible. Something tragic but righteous should be his end.
    4 - A happy ending. This ST existed to overturn the victory of ROTJ. That needs to be undone and peace restored, or else this will mostly just feel like a resting of the board for endless, banal spinoffs.

12. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    If the hutt rumors are true, the film needs Poe in a slave outfit. Everyone knows they want it.

I’m sure Oscar would do it and Carrie would’ve loved it.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Now that you've pointed it out, it has become essential to me.

14. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    And he should dance too. He can move...

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Rey Skywalker

16. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    Actual closure for the Skywalkers.

17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    -Knights of Ren
    -The seeds of a definitively different, more stable Jedi Order by the end of the movie (and so a different ending from ROTJ)
    -Not diluating the themes of TFA and TLJ in favor of spectacle only
    -Poe+Finn
    -Bring Kylo Ren's arc to an exciting and powerful conclusion
    -A sense of closure for the whole saga, from episode I to IX. The Skywalkers? The Empire/FO? The repeating cycles of history? The fall of the Jedi? Legacy? Rey's view on the Jedi and being one? wrap all the story and themes.
    -Don't listen to the fans, do something unique and personal (a bit unsure about this one, i mean, not sure JJ will go that way...)
    -Form AND substance, and a lot of fun. and heart.
    -Don't over-explain -midichlorians), don't under-explain (TFA)
    -I wouldn't mind some "politics" this time (republic senators? important city à la coruscant? FO ambassadors? I don't think they're going to do that but i'd like it)
    -Force ghost Luke "tormenting" his nephew. A light side force ghost appearing before a dark side user would be something new and a very intriguing prospect
    -gigantic space war with FO fleet vs Resistance/Pirates/Republic remnants fleet would be cool
    -Ren/Hux rivalry with Hux being more of a competent/serious character than he was in TLJ
    -originality, originality, originality, originality. Think outside the box. Do something exciting in terms of character dynamics, themes, camera work and editing, story, world building & lore, adventures, plot, mysteries and so on....
    -DONT: don't involve Anakin, don't make Rey a legacy character, don't bring Luke back to life, don't bring Snoke back to life, don't kill Leia

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand and Jo Lucas like this.
  18. ioioos

ioioos Jedi Knight

Apr 17, 2015
    We know JJ (and George) love parallels, we know JJ has spoken about tying up 9 films and we know they are calling it a closure of the Skywalker saga. With that in mind, I'd like to see...

1. In the 3rd act, when it looks like the First order will win, we will see the galaxy rise up; whole species, with the wookies (maybe led by Chewie and Lando) leading the charge to parallel the original idea before the ewoks. Maybe a type of 'I'm Spartacus', with wookies wanting to be Chewie, Mon Calamari wanting to be Akbar, humans from Corellia wanting to be Solo, humans from Alderaan wanting to be Bale etc etc. Slaves breaking out everywhere; Tatooine, Canto Bight, Corellia. I can even envisage Finn leading leading a cause where he releases the historic data files to First Order troops, who start to take of their helmets and become individuals, from a thousand home planets. They can take down the First Order hardware and forces, culminating in the destruction of Hux.
    2. A tie up/reveal of how Anakin was 'created' as part of a bigger plan, that culminates in Rey's existence / purpose and finally delivers a balance of the force; revealed by a council of Force ghosts. I'd prefer one dramatic scene with the likes of Obi, Yoda, Qui Gon, Anakin (maybe Leia) and Luke, as opposed to a 'hands on' Luke throughout. Ultimately, Luke is the one from the 'council' that gives the right advice to Rey; cementing his legacy.
    3. Rey and Kylo ultimately sacrifice themselves to bring balance, concluding the Skywalker saga and leave the door wide open for the future. Rey leads the sacrifice and Kylo's redemption only comes through a final decision, much like Vader's; maybe having a last line like 'I've got a good feeling about this'.
    4. Chewie and Lando survive and go off in the Falcon.
    5. Poe becomes the leader of the new order.
    6. Finn stops running and finds 'home'
    7. R2 & C3PO get commissioned to a new ship and 3PO has to have have his memory wiped, signing of with a 'Oh my, here we go again' leaving their appearance open to any future saga.
    8. Without wanting to parallel too much, could the last shot be the modern cast celebrating, with force ghosts of the past looking on with approval?
    9. I could also see JJ doing little things to snuff out continuity issues, like an opening battle scene where a rebel ship tries to pull 'The Holdo Maneuver' and hyperspace ram the first order and smug Hux proclaims upgraded shields saying 'we won't fall for than one again'. Its very much his style.
    10. I can see JJ paralleling at least the structure of ROTJ. Act 1, a stand alone adventure with all of our heroes. A last hurrah. Act 2, the historical characters explain the overarching issues and set up impending doom. Act 3, a mega non-force battle for the galaxy, intercut with conclusion of the family/force saga and ultimate redemption.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    DARTH_BELO and Jo Lucas like this.
  19. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I thought it was needed back in January (the date of my post) before we knew they had footage to include her in 9. My point was I didn't want anyone else playing Leia. Very excited she's going to be back.

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Agree with all of these points. On a related note, did you think Force Yoda was overpowered?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    1. Luke appearing as force ghost, either to Rey or Kylo Ren-each for obvious reasons. (Preferably Rey-IMO there's unfinished business there)
    2. Backstory on the state of the galaxy-especially if it takes place several years after TLJ.
    3. Some sort of satisfying send off for Leia (hopefully the footage they're using works for this).
    4. A considerably stronger, more resolute Kylo Ren (not unsure of himself and what he wants-that's all we've gotten so far).
    5. More clarification on Rey's history and a meaningful story arc for her character.
    6. Full on lightsaber duels. Not just amateurish fumbling around (like TFA) or stabbing guards (like TLJ).
    7. A story arc that gives Finn actual substance and value in the plot.
    8. A massive final space battle (preferably space AND ground simultaneously)-including at least one "@#$% YEEEAAAHHH!!!" moment throughout.
    9. Details on intentions and a sense of hope for the future of the Jedi Order.
    10. A fully-resolved ending which ties up loose ends and leaves no questions.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  22. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Rey has an identity.

DARTH_BELO and SKYGUY23 like this.
  23. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    Rey with a double blade saber...
    1.Connects the PT
    2. makes logical sense. Fighting with her staff most of her life.
    4. We know a new one is coming bc Luke's is destroyed.
    3. Toy sells
    4. Have the one up on Kylo's crossgaurd.
    5. Badass
    6. Toy sells

I know toy sells is on there twice:D Tell me you wouldn't go straight out and get the Black series ForceFX double bladed GREEN lightsaber!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  24. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    R2D2 saves the day! This is a must. R2D2 does things his way and C3PO is his hapless, clumsly sidekick. What happened in Episodes 8 and 9?! BB-8 is great, no doubt, but this solo act just isn't the same. I was heartily disappointed by the almost absence of the original two droids in the last two saga films. Their integral perspective in the film is of paramount importance!

DARTH_BELO and GregMcP like this.
  25. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    The only real musts for me are:
    1) An ending to Leia's story that pays respect to her contributions to the story and to the character.
    2) It needs to fit into the same universe as 7 of the other 8 movies. (You can't undo the past)
    Honorable mention:
    3) Try to tie all the out of character stuff from TLJ back into the saga in a meaningful way.
    4) Answer a good bit of the questions that were set up in TFA.

If 1 & 2 are executed successfully, I can enjoy this movie
    If JJ can pull off 3 & 4 I will be ecstatic.

I'm not expecting a whole lot from this movie, but what I do expect is going a difficult task.