main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the higher, Grand general or Grand admiral, or Grand moff

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by StarWarLover, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarLover

StarWarLover Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2017
    What's a higher rank

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Grand Moff is political chain of command, the other two are military.

Given that Tarkin issues orders to Thrawn, I'd say that, in practice, Grand Moffs have more clout than Grand Admirals.

Given that Grand General Tagge ended up in command of the Imperial Military for a short period - I'd say Grand Admirals and Grand Generals are top tier military (but not top tier political) and that the Head Of The Military is normally appointed from their ranks, when Vader's not holding that post.

3. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    Grand Admiral and Grand General are roughly equal. One is head of the Imperial Navy while the other the Army. Grand Moff’s are lower than the other two and are only in control of the region in which they are assigned to. The Supreme Moff would be in charge of the Grand Moffs and equal to the Grand Admiral/General. However, I would imagine that a Grand Moff would have intimate knowledge of the region they reside over so it would make sense that the military leaders listen/take orders from the political leader of that region.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Grand Moff isn't a military rank. They are the Imperial equivalent of a governor. Going off of Clone Wars-era metrics the rank which was later known as 'Grand Moff' was equivalent to a High General, which is obviously lower than a Grand General. I would only imagine Grand Generals and Grand Admirals were equal in power. In the absence of a Supreme Commander a Grand Admiral would be the de facto Supreme Commander. This, I believe, would place them as the second highest military rank. Again, I assume the same applies for Grand Generals.
    Iron_lord
    I've always assumed, with Tarkin's odd amount of power, (the way he bosses around people who you would think outrank him and how no other Grand Moffs exercise his amount of power.) that he was a special case. We don't really know who the Supreme Commander was during A New Hope. It surely isn't Vader. I believe Tarkin was the commander of the military. After his death Tagge took his place.

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd say Grand Moff ultimately because Grand Moff is a political rank.

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.