main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the "official" story on Darth Vader anyway?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Quiet_Mandalorian, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think Vader was supposed to be someone's father because Vader means 'father' in Dutch (I think). Whether or not it was Luke and Leia's father or Han's or Chewie's or whatever.

As for his title within the Empire, I think he was just Dark Lord of the Sith, which, assuming people also knew Palpatine was a Sith, would elevate him to a level just under Palpatine in the eyes of everyone (except the Imperial higher-ups like Tarkin who seemed to know/think he wasn't all that)

2. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    Vader is Palpatine's apprentice and right-hand man, his "enforcer" as well. Aside from that, he is a ruthlessly ambitious individual - that much did not change with his transformation from Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader. His goal is to destory Palps and rule the Empire. Until he can make that happen, his role is to help Palps cement his authority.

I am sure that Vader, in addition to roaming around the galaxy laying down the law, also appears at sessions of the Imperial senate, military functions, and even social affairs presided over by the Emperor. He has to know everything inside and out, not only to fulfill his role as enforce but also to observe and learn averything he possibly can. Therefore, I am sure that he is quite well-known to Leia. They have probably met in person more than once. Vader, unaware that this is his daughter, considers her a liberal nut-job and a pain in the arse. Leia considers Vader a fascist hegemonist warmonger and a pain in the arse. They have contempt for one another which is clear from their meeting aboard the Tantive IV (in the novelization she spits on him.)I don't think she really fears him as such until he tortures her, and even then she doesn't fear for herself so much as for Luke and Han. She's actually pretty selfless. He is selfish, looking inward, focused on his own ambitions, believing there is nothing else for him.

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Leia and Palpy met in EU. :D Leia s aunties went to one of his dinner parties, dragging her along. She was faced with some of Palp s mistresses then!

4. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    Yeah, arielthalandra, I think you pretty much nailed that one! I don't really see Vader doing a lot of fighting inbetween Episodes III and IV, and I imagine him in the senate more than on the battlefield. The scene where Vader is arguing with the imperials on the Death Star or when he has a verbal fight with Leia is probably how he acted on Coruscant. He might occationally choke someone, but he tried to intimidate people more than he tries arguing with a lightsaber. Many in the empire view Vader to be more Bark than he is Bite, he talks more than he comes to blows, and many consider him to be a freak in a mask full of hot air. I imagine Vader is more of a very iritated diplomat or representative for the Emperor than a real military commander.

I can imagine Vader getting uncomfortably close to a senator and waving his finger in the senator's face, saying something like "It is fortunate you have diplomatic immunity, or at this moment you would no longer be breathing." At that point, the senator would make a witty remark and Vader would stomp off angrily unable to do anything, given he doesn't have the permission and\or political power to kill this particular person.

In episode IV, Vader isn't really fearsome, he's just kind of a jerk, like all the other imperial leaders on the Death Star. It isn't until ep 5 where he seems to get true military power in Tarkin's absence, and in that film, he truly shows his power, and goes from a mere jerk in ep 4 to someone who seems truly scary and powerful in ep5. Before Tarkin's death, Vader didn't really have to power to do very much, he's just an underling, at least in ep 4. But post-Tarkin, Vader gains three things: power over everyone in the empire except Palpatine, respect and the ability to truly impose fear. Between two films, Vader's character changes massively.

5. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Yes,Vader never liked politicians already in his earlier life as Anakin ;) I'm sure he would love to choke some of those annoying rebelling senators...But unfortunately that would be a crime at that time :(So he's all frustrated and annoyed with the senate and the bureaucrats but can't really do much except try to scare them...until in ANH :D
    He sure seemed very pleased when he could boss Leia around."You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!Take her away!" He's probably been waiting to do something like that for a looong time.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    No. The name "Vader" was chosen long before he was anyone's dad, and it was picked simply because it sounds cool.
    Read GL's comments about it in The Annottated Screenplays.

7. muTron

muTron Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    Maybe at least part of the answer depends on if there are any surviving Jedi after ROTS. I have heard the arguements both ways and I am not sure if there are or not. But consider this: In some EU sources by the end of the Clone Wars the Jedi were sort of falling from grace in the eyes of the public and the clones were seen as the new heroes. If that is the case, and there were some straggling remaining Jedi that Vader hunted down and destroyed I could see that being really useful propaganda for the Empire. Vader would mirror Anakin in that way - as Anakin was the posterboy for the Clone War - Vader is the posterboy for the Empire.

If that's not the case I see him as military advisor / muscle for the Boss Man - I suspect it is known in the militar ranks he is a fallen Jedi, but the average person on the street might have more apocalyptic intrepretations of Vader.
    I just can't see Vader being satisfied with senatorial duties in any fashion. He is not cut out for that.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, someone needs to do a fanfic where Palpatine is personified by Mr Burns, and Vader is Smithers.

"Before I get dressed, what do you think Lord Vader? Red or black robe today?"--Palps

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."-- [face_love]--Vader

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Wait a minute, why is Vader in Palpy's bedroom before Palpy has gotten dressed in the morning? :eek:

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    [Bad pun] Because he's lookin' for love in Alderaan places! [/Bad pun]

11. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    Okay,that's really creepy :eek: I wonder if their private life really is like that [face_worried]

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I can picture that.[face_laugh]

Good point.=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.