main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the point of cheats?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Mastadge, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I mean, it's one thing to go back after you've played a game and cheat to get cool weapons in an early level, but why would anybody spend $50+ on a game which is probably short anyway, and then use cheat codes and blow through it in an hour? It's kind of like buying a movie and then just fast-forwarding through the whole thing instead of watching it.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeh, I know. I still don't use cheats all that often on games I've had for a long time, it's just not fun.

I know friends who do what you describe- use cheats on their first time through. :(

3. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    Cheats are for those times when you want to wuss out and take it easy.

I dont cheat anymore but i used too, found that they took alot of achievement out of the game.

when i play through a game for fun though, cheats are good sometimes. like in half-life, whats more fun then shooting up scientists in the very begining? i know that sounds demented but sometimes they just have a little .357 magnum with there name on it, and you need to use a cheat to get the weapon at that point.

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, I usually do not use cheats the first time I play a game, unless I want to go quickly through it (usually games I borrowed from a friend, for example) - sometimes I don't really enjoy the gameplay, but I like the storyline and the graphics. I cheat when I get very frustrated (which really ain't pretty :p ), too.

EDIT : Yeah, I never cheat in MP, it's really unfair to other people.

5. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    I really don't understand cheaters. Cheating in single player removes all the challenge from a game, and just makes it get boring that much faster. I like to be challenged, and enjoy the games I play as long as possible.

Cheating in multiplayer though... :mad: that's not just stupid and wasteful, it's downright mean. Ruining other people's gaming experience by giving yourself an unfair advantage is terrible.

6. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I used to cheat on every game i had, then they just got boring. Now i've tride replaying them and beating them. Like starcraft. I was about 11 when I got the game and cheated through the game, now I 'm trying to beat it without cheats, and I've found out it is really hard. Im barly half-way through the Zerg campign after a month.

Cheating on Multiplayer is down-right stupid. Why would you cheat on Multi-player when it would take away the fun?

7. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I rarely, if ever cheat in SP and I never have in MP. But I can understand the SP cheaters to some degree.

Why spend $50 on a game but not be able to beat it because you don't have the skill to get past one small part of the game? Cheat in that one particular area so you can experience the rest. That is considering you've tried it numerous times (like 25+ for me would be when I'd consider this) and there is no other possible way.

8. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I love cheating.

9. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I cheat for one of three reasons:

1. I've already beaten the game without cheats and want to replay it quickly,

2. I'm stuck at once spot, and can't get past it no matter how hard I try,

3. It's a game with a story, and I realllllly want to find out what happens at the end RIGHT NOW.

10. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've used cheat codes for a variety of reasons.

First, I have to admit that I'm not great at video games, despite the fact that I've been an avid gamer since the early days of the NES. I'm probably at the low end of the "Intermediate" skill level (which Super Metroid was ranked at). If I play a game and play it and keep playing it, but can never progress any further, I'm either going to give up or cheat. Given the investment I've already put into the game (even if it's just a rental), I feel the latter option is more palatable.

Second, if I'm replaying a game and would rather breeze through a particular section, sometimes I'll just use a cheat code (assuming there's one available).

Third, cheat codes can provide new experiences for subsequent play-throughs.

Fourth, cheat codes can often be fun. Look at some of Grand Theft Auto III's codes: increased gore, pedestrian riots, flying tanks!! Sometimes cheats actually add to a game's life.

For the record, I do try to beat games without cheating. A great feeling of accomplishment comes from that. But if faced with the options of either cheating or quitting, I'll choose to cheat.

11. RedSaberWarrior

RedSaberWarrior Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Im a very lazy person. I will play without cheats for about 5 minutes then eather cheat the first time i get stuck or grab a players guide

12. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    "they make me feel like a big man"

I only use them on rare occasions. Most times even if they're out there I won't use them because once you've used the cheats the game just isn't as fun (the gameshark sucked all the fun out of GTA3, cause once you've had all weapons at unlimited ammo, it's just not as fun to drudge your way through with a bat and a gat). However games like Turok:Evolution that're a rental game, those I'll cheat just because the game sucked to begin with.

13. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    FOr me, the only time I cheat is To get to the end, to see the end credit... unless there is a separate way to see the end credit.

I love Spoilers :p

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    i will only ever cheat after i finish the game... just for fun/// i will, however, cheat during a game i havn't finished, if i only play the game for things like gore and explosions and all that.

For example, when i got MOH Allied Assault, i only got the game for the D-Day landings, i was gonna cheat to that level so i could quickly play it, but i held on and finished the game with out cheating..... makes you feel good

15. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    The same could be said about someone who uses a walkthrough/spoiler.

I don't see the point of cheaters (as it pertains to single player). It boggles my mind why they do it. I had a room mate who refused to play any game without using some sort of "God mode" and "infinite ammo" cheat. He said it wasn't fun for him any other way. I could not understand that at all.

But I then realized that despite my thoughts on how lame and unsatisfying that must be, it wasn't my place to tell him how to play HIS game that he paid HIS own money for. All I could do was tell him the benefits of not cheating and leave it at that.

I'll my play my games my way, and he can play his games his way.

-Jomero

16. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I only use cheats on a game that I have already beaten, using cheats before you beat the game is a waste of money.

17. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I use cheats on almost every rental game.

Some games are just pure crud and I want to get through with them as soon as possible. Others have a great story but the gameplay stinks. And then there's GTA3, I mean, a friggin' flying tank! :D

Cheating isn't bad if:
    1)You hate the game
    2)You're renting the game and want to finish it or test some features that aren't readily available
    3)You've already beaten the game

Of course, MP cheating is an entirely different game. Don't do it, or I'll come over there and break your legs.

18. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't normally use cheats on the first time through a game, but in games like
    Goldeneye, cheats make that game even more fun than it already is.

19. Str8JaktJim

Str8JaktJim Jedi Master star 1

Oct 9, 2002
    Games have cheat codes originally for the game testers to help them test all aspects of a game. Trying to test out some parts of a game without an invincibility code would be imposible.

I do understand what you're saying about gamers that use codes to pass the game are pretty weak. Codes should be used for a bit of fun, like using the tank missle in GoldenEye 64 without a tank :)

20. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    I love cheat codes. Usually I won't cheat the first time through. I will though, when the cheat enhances the fun factor. They are games, and games are supposed to be fun. For example, I have beaten JKII without cheats on every difficulty. But now I cheat like crazy because it is fun. I wish I had used some of the cheats when I was playing the first time because the make me love the game so much more.

21. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I will admit that realistic saber combat and dismemberment does make JK2 much more fun, but far too easy (but I guess all cheats do that). :D

-Jomero

22. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i love playing JK2 with dismemberment. so what if you set realsim to 2 ten the game will actually reflect the overpoweringly powerful ubersaber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.