main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's the Weirdest thing(s) in your Collection?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Aug 1, 2014.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    With Star Wars having been around for 37 years, many many things have been put on the market all in the glory of promoting our favorite movie franchise.

So what are the weirdest things that you own?

Top of my list is the old Sigma C-3PO tape dispenser. I got it for $40 back in the early '90's at an antique shop, before the resurgence of collectibles in the mid-later-90's. It's missing the actual tape holder. I still don't know how this got approved - 3PO just looks way too happy to have tape being pulled out from between his legs. :p

[​IMG]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I guess the weirdest is the Jango Fett Bubble Bath. It's on display in the bathroom, along with a similar Vader item. You can see a pic of Jango here. Not my specific Jango - I just found the pic online.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't have any weird items! All my items are mundane by comparison! D:

I guess the stormtrooper helmet coffee mug I use as a change jar would count as weird, but not really. Granted, some people I know think lots of my items are weird, but they're non-collectors who aren't into SW (or any of my interests, for that matter), so of course they'd think I collect odd things.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That tape dispenser is easily the weirdest thing I have ever seen next to that Mickey Mouse GOATSE camera and that Harry Potter vibrating broom. Bwahahahahahahaha. :D

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    A vibrating Harry Potter broom - hahaha! :) My tape dispenser ranks high in the weird category, I'm oh so proud of it!

Off of the top of my head these are the 2 weirdest things that I've heard of for collectibles (that I don't own.)

Ummmm who wants to suck on Jar-Jar's sweet, candy tongue?

[​IMG]

Grandpa - you're stealing all of the soy sauce!
    Am not!
    R2! It's there in your hand - the R2-D2 Soy Sauce dispenser! hand it over, I need it for my Sushi and Sashimi!

[​IMG]

Sgt Crowfield and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    TrakNar and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That JarJar is creepy. Not something I'd want..

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Well I certainly wouldn't want to eat it...ewwwwww....

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I should've asked Sansweet what it tasted like... XD

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is an actual wall decal. Darth Squid.

TrakNar and PadmeLeiaJaina like this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Cthulhu meets Vader,,

Juke Skywalker and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have that JarJar item somewhere lol. I have some pieces of original Ewok fur from EP VII.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha! Gotta love cheesy knock off stuff.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've got a similar item but it's legit - Star Wars Customs Boba Fett.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So...that one inspired this fascinating piece of art? Makes sense.

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Nothing of my own to contribute, but I like this thread.

That Jar Jar candy tongue just shows how over-merchandised Episode 1 was back in '99 - I remember reading somewhere that the studio?! was worried that the film wouldn't do well (not sure why, since everyone had been waiting for the movie for 16 years), so there was a huge plethora of the red Episode 1 product out there promoting the film, supposedly so the general public would want to really go see the movie (as if that wasn't already going to happen). In any case, most of this stuff ended up peg-warming on shelves for years afterwards...

I always though the food/soda items that came out for the OT & PT (primarily Episode 1) was all kind of interesting - i.e., how would a collector keep this stuff in good shape over the years?! I remember digging through my closet a while back and finding a pack of Mountain Dew soda cans, all with a b&w picture of Padme's face (this was from the Episode 1 days). One or more of the cans had started leaking, so I ended up emptying all of them (no way was I drinking 10-year old soda!) and recycling most of them; I kept one or two for collectible purposes. I remember back in '99, there was online article explaining how you could put a small pin-hole in the top of a can (in a certain place), and you could drain the can without opening it, thereby keeping it "intact". At the time, I thought, why bother?! Is this stuff going to be worth that much in the future that it's worth going to this much trouble?! :rolleyes:

Same with the shampoo/soap bath items. I.e., wouldn't the shampoo eventually leak from the containers?! And, wouldn't you want to eventually use the soap?! LOL...

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    You know, surprisingly soap doesn't overly go bad. But yeah, I don't see anything wrong w/ using the soap rather than trying to keep it for all time.

I never did the save the cans thing, mostly because other than Mt Dew I don't like Pepsi products. The cans were cool, I think I've still got some of the giant packs boxes out in storage w/ SW graphics all over them.

I have cereal boxes that I just keep as boxes. Back in the 90's they did this promotion w/ Fruit Loops where you could get free Stormtrooper Han Solos w/ PoPs. I can't even remember how many boxes I bought in order to get me a grand army of Han Solos. I finally got down to one box after I literally couldn't deal w/ eating any more Fruit Loops (I haven't eaten any since then either,) I put in on a shelf in the kitchen hoping maybe I'd be inspired to do something w/ the cereal - and the dog ate it, ripping the last box I had w/ the awesome graphic of Han on the back side. I wanted to kill that dog. He could've HAD the cereal....ggrrrrrr....

19. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

I remember that promotion well. IIRC, it was in Fall '95, right after the first POTF2 figures hit. The Han Strormtrooper wasn't available @ regular retail, so I did send away for the figure - and was very happy to get this. IIRC, the figure didn't come with a blaster, but I was so happy I didn't care. I don't think the Han Stormtrooper came out carded in the POTF2 3 3/4 line, though it did come in a pack with Luke Stormie & Chewie in '97....

I do remember eating a lot of Taco Bell/KFC fast food back in '99 to get a lot of those Episode 1 promotional toys.....IIRC, you could also get the toys separately without buying the food....Great memories - of the promotional toys, not the food!

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Yes - let's not talk about the number of Burger King kids meals that I've consumed over the years tracking down toys during the prequels either. Poor BK hasn't been a favorite of mine ever since.

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I always thought the Episode 1 "Battle bags" that came out back in '99 were somewhat strange, though I did get all of them. There were four sets in all -these were small plastic fish or animals from Naboo; each set was in a bag with a mixture that, when you added water to this, made some artificial "ooze". Apparently you then took the creatures out of the "ooze", even though something like this was never in the film. As it turned out, I opened all of these a while back, discarded the bag and the mixture, and kept the creatures - which are all fairly nice, if very small. I had read online years before that if you put the creatures & mixture in a sink & added water, once you drained the mixture into the sink it could clog up your pipes...No Thanks. Again, not sure why the "ooze" was necessary, though I guess it added play value for kids...Here is a link with pics.:

http://www.rebelscum.com/episodeIbattlebags.asp

And, though this wouldn't be classified as a strange SW "item", going along with my previous discussion re: certain collectibles deteriorating over time, something strange & unfortunate happened to my very nice full-head Darth Maul latex mask that I bought back in 1999. This was an an expensive mask, and was fine for years after I got this. However, circa 2009/2010, I noticed that pieces of the mask (initially from the bottom) were actually falling off of the mask and onto the floor. There was nothing I could do...shortly after the mask completely fell apart & I had to get rid of this. I later read that this is not unusual when it comes to latex masks, as they tend to deterioriate over time...Too bad, since it was a great collectible...Note that all of the SW helmets (hard plastic) that I've gotten over the years have been fine...

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I have an Illusive Concepts Yoda - he's the 3 1/2' life sized laytex model. I got him in the mid 90's? I've been pretty maniacal about keeping him out of extreme heat or cold, when he wasn't on display I kept his original box to be stored in, he's gone across country twice and still looks pretty good. His coloring has faded and he's rather like my dog and is getting a bit of white face going on, but thankfully his laytex still looks good and isn't dry. I don't know how long he'll last, but he's on about 20 years and he's not falling apart, although there are a few stress places because he has been moved to 6 different homes in his life time. I've seen others where that isn't the case - mostly if the laytex gets exposed to extreme temperatures it'll deteriorate at a faster rate than items that are in more temp controlled environments.

[​IMG]

I went to the "Star Wars Identities" exhibit up in Montreal 2 years back and they had Ponda Boda's mask. Next to it was a sign that said that his mask was the last remaining original mask from the Tatooine cantina scene in "A New Hope." All of the other masks have deteriorated and are gone.

[​IMG]

I do know that some people apply a lacquer type stuff over their laytex items to try to keep them from deteriorating, but all that usually ends up doing is make the items look freakishly wet and soggy. There used to be a show on Syfy called "Hollywood Treasures" - the series followed a guy Joe who ran an auction house for movie & TV memorabilia and his travels around the country to find original props often led him to finding very old, vintage laytex items - so many are just falling apart and it's really rare to find items in fantastic shape that are older than from the '70's. Whenever he came across like an original mask from "Star Trek" or "Planet of the Apes" and it still had the laytex on it he'd nearly jump out of his skin with excitement.

I'm sorry that your Darth Maul mask fell apart. I'm assuming it was a Don Post mask? Those are usually exceptionally well made.

23. Rupelone

Rupelone Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2014
    I've got the Javas action figure, my camere 's broken so I can't take picture, but it's here. I would really to find the Death Star Ice cube maker! :)
    And I've got the Lego Cwebie too! it's adorable.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I got the Fett Ice Cube Tray awhile back.

25. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have a Boba Fett cake pan that I got several years ago on EBay and paid a pretty penny for it after getting into a bidding war with someone.