main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whats this I hear a copy of the 1977. films in the hands of fans?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by THX1138_2004, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THX1138_2004

THX1138_2004 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    About oh 1986 or 1987 buddy siad wanna watch Star Wars i siad ok....i d never seen it before it was dark and bad looking he siad it was a copy of the moive film off the screen.. I siad coool about mmm 1990 or 1992 I got the orginal moives and when I watched it I siad to myself whats this A NEW HOPE thing.. it was not on thecopy i saw as a kid and I called him he had since taped over it (well his wife) and no longer had it but we found it odd...

My question is what did I see and also anyone know were I can find a copy i loved it as a kid

thank you

Chris

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    What you saw was the same movie. When it became apparent that Star Wars was going to be a huge success Lucas added the additional title of "A New Hope", so people could differentiate between the sequels he was now dreaming up.

Since the SEs did not come out until '97, ergo any version of SW (ANH, ESB, ROTJ) had to contained the original, unaltered movies. Well altered if you consider adding the "A New Hope" subtitle to the first Star Wars movie.

As for where you can find them, I'd suggest ebay. The unaltered original trilogy are very rare these days, very rare.

3. THX1138_2004

THX1138_2004 Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    thank you Errant_Venture man i wish icoulds find it..even if it carpy looking.....
    ifyou hear of it every please let me know

Chris

4. Darth_Orgazmo

Darth_Orgazmo Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    This version is commonly known as the "Pre-A New Hope Edit".
    Search that title in yahoo and you'll find plenty of info and faqs about it.
    I have this particular vhs in about a third gen copy.
    There are actually a lot of minor differences. Certain scenes are shorter. The audio mix is entirely different. There are a lot of alternate takes of lines and a few alternate lines all together.
    A different woman is also dubbed in as the voice of Beru (neither version uses the actress' actual voice).
    Also the picture is full frame. It doesn't pan & scan, it just sits on center frame.
    I ran it in to my computer and replaced the video in all shots with the original release pan & scan vhs, except the crawl which is different than the vhs one, and burned it to dvd-r.
    This way the image is much better, and the pan & scanning follows the action instead of losing events off to either side, but at the same time is pan & scan so that it doesn't clash with the footage of the crawl.
    I also tossed on a few vintage trailers and tv spots and the deleted scenes from the Behind the Magic cd-rom.
    If you want to check it out, drop me an email at magnoliafan78@hotmail.com.

5. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    I have an originally dubbed version on BetaMax, any takers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.