main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's, uh... the deal?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by logray_is_a_quack, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Its nice to hace the option if completion is your thing. Chances are in about two generations time some kid will ask you what a VHS is...

Heh, in two generations the VHS tape will be so brittle it will turn to flakes when you play it. Ever time a VHS tape is played, it rubs on the heads and the quality is reduced. DVDs on the other hand, dont touch anything while playing, so they dont have that problem. Of course in two generations theyll be asking what a DVD is also. :p

2. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Hey, I also noticed the Pink Floyd reference, didn't bring it up though. Love Floyd, wearing my The Wall shirt now, hehe.

3. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    Wow, times have changed. When Phantom Menace was first released released I was part of a rather vocal minority of DVD player owners who refused to buy the film because it was only on VHS.

4. BountyHunter7

BountyHunter7 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    Dont know about the VHS but is nice to see there are other Pink Floyd fans on the star wars boards!

two of my favorite things in life (PF and SW) [face_peace]

5. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Same thing here, maybe we should stop hijacking the thread and move Pink Floyd stuff, here

6. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I've seen ROTS on VHS here in the UK in ASDA.

Only seen fullscreen versions so don't know if widescreen is available.

Anyway with £19.99 DVD players only an aisle away in ASDA whats the point in VHS releases these days? Especially when they are often as expensive/more expensive than 2 disc DVD versions (And I won't listen to fullscreen fans who think that widescreen versions cut off the top and bottom of the picture, and yes I do know about Super 35 so don't start about that either widescreen buffs).

7. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm a completist and all, but I would hate to see Rots corrupted on VHS, plus ive had countless SW tapes eated by various VCRs. Use this as an impetus to bash in the old machine. "The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime, shuffle in the gloom of a sick room, and talk to yourself as you die...." Pink Floyd

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Okay so there is no North American release but it seems there is many European releases and elsewhere. My question is-- is there any NTSC release anywhere?? I dont want a PAL video. I know there must be NTSC bootlegs out there but what is the status on official release? Is NTSC exclusive to just north america?

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why on earth do they sell fullscreen DVD's in the US?
    And who buys them?!

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Stupid people.

11. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I buy them. I am not stupid. The only TV we have is a 19" crappy Walmart $99 TV. Gasp! How can I live without a 52" widescreen HDTV? Do I live in a third world nation? No, actually I could afford a new TV, but my TV is turned on for Video games, an occasional movie, Football Games, and Jeopardy. Seriously, watching widescreen takes a few inches off the top and bottom of the picture making it very small. Can't kick back and cuddle on the couch with the wife while watching a movie that way, we have to lay on the floor. Fullscreen may cut off the edges of the movie, but at least we get more of the gist then not really being able to see anything at all. I pretty much enjoy the movie all the same as I would on a huge TV with a widescreen formatted DVD. Oh, and I get to save the $2000 to go and take a vacation and see the world instead of a part of the movie that is outside my periphery anyway. Idiot.

Carnage

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You don't have to be an idiot to buy full screen. It's a matter of preference. Those who buy full screen or pan & scan do so because they detest the black boxes, which are necessary for widescreen viewing. They don't understand that widescreen is how movies are in theaters. Or if they do understand, just don't care to look at black boxes. I've grown to like widescreen, but other people I know still detest it.

13. TheReturnofKardarl

TheReturnofKardarl Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    One of the local shops here on the FOB have a box set that contains 3 trilogy DVDs, and 3 animated version DVD's. The box is still sealed in plastic. I haven't been in the states in a year, so I really don't know whats current. I've also read about some animated versions coming out. Has any offical box sets like this been released in the states yet?

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have a crappy, small TV as well, and more often - a crappy computer screen - but I don't see that as a reason to only watch half a movie.
    Cropping a movie is like cuting the head of the Mona Lisa - what's the point? It's ruining the art!

15. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well personally i find a 19" screen more than enough for a widescreen film, unless you are watching it from 25 feet away, in which case you should be sitting closer anyway. I find my 14 inch laptop display is great for widesreen too but of course i am right in front of it. Its all about screen distance--a 40 inch HDTV widescreen display viewed from 25 feet away is about equivalent to me watching a dvd on my comuter screen since it occupies the same field of view. Some people just have higher standards for when to give in to widescreen I guess, mostly due to the fact that they are far away from the TV, thus reducing the size of the screen. But i can understand that; after all, more important than preserving the actual composition is being able to follow the story and see what is happening. We got by for years like this. At least the aformentioned person knows what he is doing is wrong ;). Its the people that hate widescreen because "OMG teh black bars are so Stoopid!!1" that we must harass into conversion ;).

Regardless i would still watch widescreen even on a 9" display. I havent bought a pan n scan video since 1996 (and believe me it wasnt always easy back in the days of VHS).

16. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Um...my girlfriend. On accident though. The day it came out, she picked it up for me on the way home from work. We're all about letterbox, but she just didn't notice. I've been too lazy to take it back, and will probably just end up buying the widescreen version again and give GL more of my money because he owns me.

As for the DVD/VHS debate, as someone else mentioned, VHS sucks, but that's what we'll be saying about DVD's in the not-so-distant future.

17. blicknasty

blicknasty Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I have the DVD.

18. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    OMG ME TOO!

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
  20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Star Wars on Fullscreen VHS = Teh Devil.

21. Darth_Killer________

Darth_Killer________ Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    I do!
    :mad:

22. Darth_Killer________

Darth_Killer________ Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    I`m not stupid!
    :mad:

23. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    No offence to anyone but fullscreen is Poodoo when I had my OT VHS fullscreen it was crap I love widescreen it's the BEST DVD is the best but soon to be not the best becasue HD-DVD & Blue-Ray personally I won't be jumping to HD-DVD or Blue-Ray for a long time from now so long live DVD until HD-DVD is cheap of course.

24. cypher9000

cypher9000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, Fullscreen DVDs do suck.

Have fun when all TVs go widescreen and you pop your dvd in and are like, "Hey, why are there bars on the side?" Oh, right, because ITS NOT ACTUALLY FULLSCREEN.

Ah well. Soon they will all be gone anyways.

And as for the people wanting a VHS just so they have a full vhs collection, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU????????

Buy the movie on dvd, dvd players are like 20 bucks. It sounds better, looks better, isn't pan and scan crap (unless you buy an evil fullscreen dvd), and it will actually last and not degrade over time.

And if you want to buy a VHS just to have the collection, but plan on only watching the dvd, again, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU???

Watch the MOVIE, and stop obsessing over stupid things.

And yes, Lucasfilm made the right choice not to make VHSs. No one would have bought them accept for the few crazed SW fans on this site that wanted them (ok, that's about 12 people), and the few people living in the stone age but still are somewhat hip enough to folllow the new SW movies (ok, maybe that's another 100 or so).

So yeah, good move by Lucasfilm. I love SW as much as the next guy, and I know all about the movies, but jees, get your priorities straight. It's about THE MOVIES, not your dumb collections that mean nothing and are worth nothing.

I love these movies, but think rational for once. Tere are other things to fill up your life with other than worthless episode III VHS tapes.

P.S. Yes, anyone who buys a Fullscreen DVD is a moron, my step dad included. I love him, but yeah, dumb.

25. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    I won't cause my dad got it as I recieved the DVD!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.