main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA What's up LA?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Rokangus, Dec 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi Paula!

I know exactly where you're going for the Star Trek meeting - the convention center is right behind the building where I work.

But I won't be going to the Star Trek convention -- I've got my hands full with my Star Wars collecting! LOL

We can see the attendees from my office. Everybody always looks like they're having a great time.

If you want to know anything about Pasadena, let me know.

Helen

2. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    the 501st will be there on Saturday. I can assure you, the power of the Dark Side will tremble through the convention center.

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Hey PaulaK. I'm a San Franciscan that just moved down here about 4 months ago. Just got established with a new pad in West Hollywood about two weeks ago.

What part of SF are you from? God I miss that City.

I've got to get into that 501st racket. need a costume first though.... My buddy is SL-0401 or 0410, I always forget.

4. PaulaK

PaulaK Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2000
    I live near the Zoo and the Pacific. It's a shame you moved to LA. People aren't posting on the SF cite, and the South Bay folks are an hour away.

In response to a previous poster, I find I can afford to go to Star Trek conventions because I don't collect Star Trek stuff. They only have a little Star Wars stuff, so expenses stay down. I don't think I could afford to go to a Star Wars convention because I would be tempted to buy everything under the sun.

I am thinking now I won't make it down for the convention in Pasadena, but I'll check in on your forum to see what is happening, and if anyone else is going.

If any Star Wars fans from LA area come coming up north, post on the South Bay site and see if anything is happening up here.

5. Kahunna

Kahunna Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 1999
    PaulaK wrote:

>I don't think I could afford to go to a
    >Star Wars convention because I would be
    >tempted to buy everything under the sun.

Hey Paula-

I know exactly what you mean. I walked into my favorite collectibles store and walked out with abt. $50 bucks in SW stuff! I HATE IT when that happens! :p

Anyone know anything about SW scripts? I picked up a few for dirt cheap and I'm curious on how much they're worth. Some of them have red "CONFIDENTIAL" stamped all over them.

Kahunna

6. t65flyer

t65flyer Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    hmmmm...lotsa people in Pasadena. (including me) :)

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    t65flyer -- do you live in Pasadena, or just work here?

My building was in the news a coupla of weeks ago -- we had a jumper off the top, unfortunately. Not the way I'd want to go.

I'm off to Anchorage, Alaska on Wednesday for a mystery writers conference -- think good thoughts for me! (Like, "may it be just warm enough to get out and about.") It probably will be my only trip up there, so I'm hoping to make the most of it.

Helen

8. t65flyer

t65flyer Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    worse...i'm a PCC student (who used to live here)

9. sharukin

sharukin Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 1999
    Hello!!!, I'm hailing from east of downtown L.A. I love visiting Vroman's in Pasadena.

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Sharukin -- I go down there all the time. It's a great bookstore. A friend of mine is signing her new mystery book there on April 5, actually.

11. StarfleetUFP

StarfleetUFP Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2001
    I am Going to the Star Trek Convention, but I am More of a Star Trek Fan then a Star Wars Fan If you still want to meet reply to this message

12. sharukin

sharukin Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 1999
    I've been to two of those Pasadena Star Trek Conventions.....er, one of those was actually a Star Trek/Babylon 5 convention. Interesting anecdote: At my first "Star Trek Con" I had along with me my four-year old son. Now, he's seen many Star Trek episodes (he was a Trekker when he was still a crawler, but that's another story) with Klingons. Well, when he laid his eyes on some Klingon-costumed fans waiting in line, he let out a blood-curdling scream that just about brought that entire waiting line looking my way. All that you could see was a red-faced parent trying to calm down an impressionable offspring telling him "They're not real, they're not real". Needless to say, my now 10-year old son is thoroughly (sp?) a "Star Warrior".

13. PaulaK

Dec 7, 2000
    If I go to the Star Trek convention, I definately would like to meet up with you (even though you are more a Trekkie than a Star Wars fan). I think it would be fun for those folks who follow TheForce.net and log onto the star wars forums, to meet if they are interested. That way we'll have someone to hang out with who shares our interests in both Star Trek and Star Wars, and we won't feel like a pariah if we mention Star Wars. As more folks express an interest in meeting and make plans to go, we can make plans on the how and the when to meet. I still haven't decided if I am going, but I am definately interested. It will depend, in part, on the cost.

For anyone who has gone before to this convention, if you buy general unreserved seating, as opposed to preferred or gold seating, it is too far back to see and hear well? Is it a zoo trying to get good seats with 5000-6000 folks attending? The Sacramento convention I attended was pretty small, only about 1000 people.

If some of us meet up and we can get there early each day, we can grab some good seats and hold them for each other while we wander around looking at the exhibits.

For out of towners, I found a Best Western not far from the convention where I got a rate of about $75 with tax. Better than the convention rate of $125. Any other ideas?

What say you Trekkies out there?

14. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    At the last convention, Emperor Palpatine, several Royal Guards, and stormtroopers put in an appearance, along with some Imperial Politicians. What's the 501st, and what are they doing?

15. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    You saw the 501st.

I was the Royal Guard with the Emperor at last year's convention. We will be back this year in greater numbers.

http://www.501st.com

16. StarfleetUFP

StarfleetUFP Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2001
    I believe I am going on the firat day (friday) with my Star Trek Club (which is composed of Star Trek and Star Wars Fans). if you still wish to meet up reply to this message

17. PaulaK

Dec 7, 2000
    If I go, I definately want to meet up with your group. I just won't be able to make a final decision for about 2 weeks. But it sounds like there are a few other Star Wars fans who are interested in going. Am I right? If so, so why not plan a time and place and then announce it for everyone who is interested. So if you are interested, log on and let Rokangus know. I'll let you know my plans by mid-March. Thanks.

18. Jedi Speewwy

Jedi Speewwy Jedi Master star 5

Dec 24, 1999
    *timid*

I live in L.A.

19. Azeem

Apr 12, 1999
    Don't be timid. Be proud!

20. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    what part of LA Spewwy?

I live here but I'm not from here. I'm a San Franciscan recently transplanted. Currently living in West Hollywood'ish areas.

21. JohnnyTheClone

JohnnyTheClone Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2001
    Hey is anyone out there? I am looking to hook up with LA collectors it seems so hard to find other SW fans out here.
    ~Johnny~

22. Queen_Tofuti

Queen_Tofuti Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 18, 2000
    We are here. Nice to meetcha. Ya know we should set up some kind of meeting since I see that there are a lot of people posting. We could kick some serious booty with the line because after all THIS IS LA.:D

23. Kahunna

Kahunna Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 1999
    :::ears perk up:::

Line? someone say line? :)

It's getting pretty busy over at the starwarsline.com messageboards.

24. JohnnyTheClone

JohnnyTheClone Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2001
    I think it would be cool to have a meeting. I don't know any other Star Wars fans like myself. It would be great to know that in the US's second largest city there are people like me.

25. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    JohnnyTheClone writes:

<I think it would be cool to have a meeting. I don't know any other Star Wars fans like myself. It would be great to know that in the US's second largest city there are people like me.>

We're out here, Johnny, just scattered all about the place!

Don't know if you're anywhere near the South Bay area, but I know they have an active Star Wars club. You can find information about it when their meeting notices are posted on the TFN.net home page.

In any event, a meeting someplace in this area would not be a bad idea. And BTW, is anyone going to Comic-Con in San Diego in July?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.