main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's up with the prequel scores?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by batvader, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I was always wondering, why they keep mislabelling the tracks of the scores. They did it with TPM, they did it again with AOTC. For example, track 13 is blatantly mislabelled, not to mention Ambush at Coruscant in track 1. Is it some sort of game by Lucas?

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, all of the original soundtracks have tracks that are "mislabelled" as you put it. Tracks often contain cues from different scenes in the movie, and sometimes parts that are edited from the movie version. The SE soundtracks are arranged in a more chronological order, and hence are more "accurately" titled.

The highlights of AOTC Track 13, Confrontation With Count Dooku and Finale, mostly follow the actual "confrontation" in the film. I guess "Finale" is meant to include the final scenes (Dawn Of The Empire, wedding) as well as the End Title.

Hope this helps. If you listen to them enough, you'll probably feel less of a need to have such specifically descriptive titles. :)

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The king of all mislabeled Star Wars tracks is the infamous "Inner City." This horrid edit was from the original soundtrack in 1977 and can be found on the 1994 boxed set as well. It contains music from three completely different places in the film and includes a title that does not fit any of them. Where in A New Hope do we see an Inner City?

So as Ken stated, this has been an issue with John Williams ever since day one. It's not a prequel thing.

4. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, that's a good example, stri, The one that always bugged me was Rebel Briefing on the ROTJ OS. The last half is really from the funeral pyre scene (Light Of The Force). After an award-winning soundtrack for ANH and a top-ten double alubum release for ESB in 1980, this was a very disappointing effort from RSO in 1983. [face_plain]

5. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Ken Wannberg titles the tracks for the CD after he's edited them and JW's approved his edits. As someone already said, most of the tracks are compiled of cues from multiple scenes in the movie, so Wannberg just tries to pick a title that he feels is appropriate.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ken needs to think before he edits, IMO. I nwant to get the music for the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Dooku duel now...and that track fades off just as we get there!

I HATE THEM!

7. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    "Leia breaks the news" was originally titled "Rebel Briefing" to avoid spoilers.

8. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    >"Leia breaks the news" was originally titled "Rebel Briefing" to avoid spoilers.<

but there no spoilers in the title...

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Exactly. Not really any spoilers in that. "Ben's Death / TIE Fighter Attack" on the other hand... :D

10. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    Dont forget about "Qui-Gons Funeral",no spoilers at all ;)

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was making a point that track name spoilers are not new to Episodes I and II.

12. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    I know I was just adding a prequel example.

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I find it silly to have a soundtrack released before a film.

Release them concurrently. There's enough other ways to generate interest in a new film, especially Star Wars.

But anyhow, don't buy a soundtrack until you have seen the film. Problem solved. (I rushed down to the music store on my lunch the day after seeing the midnight AOTC. :)).

14. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Geez guys, let's not be so nitpicky here.

The ESB cue named "The Asteroid Field" goes with the scene - amazingly enough - the asteroid field chase in the film!

It's not like they took the music from the scene where Anakin starts his podracer in TPM and called it "The Dark Side Beckons." ;)

15. Joukahainen

Joukahainen Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2001
    Where in A New Hope do we see an Inner City?

Mos Eisley?

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    And the other two cues that make up Inner City that have nothing to do with Mos Eisley?

17. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    We could chalk that up to the "horrible editing of JW music" that everyone keeps complaining about in AOTC. It was probably for the scenes of Mos Eisley that they could never get to look good, so they cut (consequently, if you want to see that footage, check out the christmas special. They have shots of Mos Eisley streets that match the sets in ANH and the quality looks like non-tv film...probably the footage that was cut).

Anywho, they probably cut that part out of the movie, but then used the cues as filler for other sections. And we, having always heard them with the other sections, never would have know that they were originally intended for the Inner City.

18. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    As something of a tangent, when I first got the ANH soundtrack, I didn't know the term "inner city" (I was ten) so I thought that track title was referring to the inside of the Death Star.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually no don't blame this on George Lucas. This is something John Williams has done his whole career. He has resequenced music from the film into a nice listening experience with no regard for where in the film it occurs. This happens on John Williams scores for non-George Lucas films as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.