Whats with his face?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Yoda_Soda, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "it's an old Indian woman with Chimp eyes layered on in post production"

The dark side is weird man.
  2. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    They should really change it for the Dvd's it would be better for the six episodes.
  3. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    No, it wouldn't. You obviously don't understand what continuity is and is not. What it is is when all parts of the story agree. What it is not is whether or not the same actor plays the part in every episode. If you can put up with that apallingly fake beard that Ewan McGregor wore for reshoots, you can handle a few minutes of Palpatine not being McDiarmid. Deal with it. It's not a problem.

And when was Alec Guinness ever considered for Palpatine?
  4. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oooooh, what scenes are those? (missed 'em!)
  5. PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Knight

star 3
    "I think there might be a legal reason why they can't change the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back."

I will make it legal! -Sidious, pre-chimp eyes
  6. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The only reason I think it might not be able to change is because of the contract they had with the woman who played in that part. I think that would be a stretch, however.

I'm pretty sure this scene will be changed. It's a change that should be made and one I can deal with. BTW...I think this topic of discussion would be better in this thread since we're discussing changing the scene.

OT Changes/SE/Archival Editions thread

:)
  7. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas made all the changes he's going to make six years ago. If he wanted to replace that woman, he would have. And a contract probably would be binding. Even if he tried replacing the face of that ingrate Alec Guinness with Ewan McGregor, he'd be outside of his bounds. You don't just replace someone's performance twenty years after the film has been released. Like it or not, it's a part of the film.
  8. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "You don't just replace someone's performance twenty years after the film has been released. Like it or not, it's a part of the film."

Oh? And what of Luke's "you're lucky you don't taste good" line? While you or I wouldn't make these changes, I wouldn't put any bets on Lucas.

Jesus, look what he did to Han and Greedo?!?
  9. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    The proper analogy is more along the lines of replacing Harrison Ford's face with Ben Affleck's. An actor doesn't just get deleted and replaced years later. Not even Lucas does that. This is just wishful thinking--both in terms of McDiarmid being in ESB and the non-existant ultimate editions.
  10. PMT99 Force Ghost

star 4
    When I first saw the Emperor in ESB and again in ROTJ, I thought that was Ian Mcdiarmind with an evolving prune face.

The ESB Emperor has the exact same nose, mouth, and chin as the ROTJ Emperor but the only thing that is different is the eyes.
  11. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    " The proper analogy is more along the lines of replacing Harrison Ford's face with Ben Affleck's."

While not a proper analogy, I will show you proof that Lucas has an ability to do so, if he so chooses. Look at Count Dooku when he fights Anakin. The technology is there! I'm just saying that you shouldn't presume so much about what Lucas intends to change in his films.
  12. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    Replacing a stunt man's face with the actor's face is one thing. Taking an actor who has already played a part and essentially firing him years after the fact is different.

The old films are finished, and Lucas is finished with them.

And the Ben Affleck thing is the proper analogy. You're talking about taking away one actor's face and replacing it with another. How is that not the same as doing the same thing to Harrison Ford?
  13. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, let me type this a little slower for you..

" While not a proper analogy, I will show you proof that Lucas has an ability to do so, if he so chooses.

" And the Ben Affleck thing is the proper analogy."

I wasn't talking about yours, I was talking about mine. I was stating ahead of time that it was not meant as an counter-example to your point, but simply an example of Lucas being able to change faces if he so chooses!

"The old films are finished, and Lucas is finished with them. "

You are quite wrong there, sir. Otherwise, the SE's would be on DVD by now. It's been made very clear that Lucas intends to introduce more changes to the OT. What those changes might be is difficult to say. My only point was that you shouldn't assume what chanegs Lucas will or won't make.

"You're talking about taking away one actor's face and replacing it with another."

Exactly. So it wouldn't suprised me if Lucas were to do it again. Not saying it's probable, but I would certainly laugh if he did do it in the OT.
  14. Darth-Vengence Jedi Master

star 4
  15. Darth-Vengence Jedi Master

star 4
  16. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

I believe the EU reasoning for this is that that version of Palpatine was not as far along in life as the clone vessel seen in ROTJ, but I'll just keep that information to myself. Ooops.

~PAd

17. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    that's a good one, EU should give us a reason for those wacky eyes!

The other day we where discussing in ATOC forum some stuff about boba fett and a guy comes in and starts talking about how Boba was in ANH and that was his first apearance! lol. I really think it would help to future generations if GL fixes that ESB scene in the DVD version.
  18. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I feel confident Ian McDiarmid's face will be there when it's all said and done.
  19. Yoda_Soda Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's kinda weird knowing Ian did the OLD OlD Palpatine and also did the Senator/Chancellor Palpatine. Considering how many years it was between ROTJ and TPM, its just... weird.

I thought maybe the chimp eyes are like holo-goggles that let him see Vader or something...
  20. JediBeowulf Jedi Master

star 3
    You are correct sir!

It truly is one of the greatest connundrums the world has ever witnessed:

ROTJ -> Ian (who is young) plays an old emperor.

TPM -> Ian (who is older now) plays a younger emperor.

[face_shocked]

It boggles the mind!

And oh yeah - the "Chimp Emperor" will be gone. It makes no sense to retain it.
  21. WellKnownCharacter Jedi Knight

star 2
    Personally I think it would be amusing to replace Ian in Jedi with a CGI chimp.
    A chimp that merely sits there in a cloak that is far to big for it-soiling itself as the Luke-Vader duel reaches its climax. But thats just my opinion. In fact I also think that in Episode III Ian should wear 'ear prosthetics' to show Palpatines gradual descent in Monkey-dom.
  22. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, if Lucas changes this scene, and attempts to make it fit in with the PT, I would imagine we would see Palps as we did in the PT: hood only, no face. I can't imagine why he would do otherwise.
  23. Obi-Ewan Force Ghost

star 4
    You are quite wrong there, sir. Otherwise, the SE's would be on DVD by now. It's been made very clear that Lucas intends to introduce more changes to the OT. What those changes might be is difficult to say. My only point was that you shouldn't assume what chanegs Lucas will or won't make.

That they are not on DVD proves nothing about his intentions for them. Clive Revill and the monkey lady are there to stay. Deal with it. If you can't say exactly what changes he's making, and have no confirmation from him, then you have nothing.
  24. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So much for speculating :(
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I hope they don't change the ESB Emperor- he's creepy, ominous and subtle/smooth/calm in his voice, which works alot better for the scene than Ian's more creekier-sounding voice. And, c'mon, he doesn't look all that different from Ian to require a replacement- no more than Ewan and Alec do.

There's so much more important things they could focus their enhancment efforts on than the ESB Emperor.

>> Oh? And what of Luke's "you're lucky you don't taste good" line?<<

Result of using an audio master that contained the original line delivered on-set prior to ADR. So, in a way, he was actually restoring the performance ;;D
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.