main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada What's with the "new" anthem?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Anyone know what this is about? Sometimes at hockey games, and at my graduation last year, I've noticed that they sing a stanza in English, then a stanza in French, then a stanza in English. This "new" anthem is an abomination. The anthem should be sung in its entirity in both official languages. Breaking it up like that is just unexcuseable laziness. Does anyone know why it has been sung this way lately, and whether or not the federal government has approved this?

2. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I've been hearing it sung this way for years... And personally i like it like this. It combines both aspects of Canadian languages and it does flow together really well.

I actually remember getting upset when i heard it only sung in English at one point.

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, I think it's a perversion. I can just imagine what the Americans in those arenas are thinking. "What the hell is this? They can't seem to decide on a language!"

For hockey, I think if VAN, OTT, CGY, EDM, or TOR are playing, it should be sung entirely in English, and if MTL is playing, it should be sung entirely in French. If both teams are playing, it should be sung entirely in both languages (because obviously you won't be singing "The Star Spangled Banner" as well).

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Umm, speaking as the old guy around here.. I've heard the mixed language version for at least 20 years... its not a new idea.

5. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I remember hearing the mixed version as a child at school. (At least 12+ years ago) so I don't think it's all that new a concept. I personally think its a good idea and have always liked it. It incorporates both official languages and singing it twice in both languages would be impractical in most situations.

6. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Dude, there are two languages in Canada. Anyway did you ever realise that Oh Canada is nationaliste quebecer anthem ?

7. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    The mixed version was the way they had us sing the anthem for the Commonwealth Games opening ceremonies when it was held in Victoria years ago. I rather like the French lyrics, actually. They're far more emotionally evocative and less repetitive than the English lyrics.

- Rani

8. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    I agree. It's been atleast 20 years that I have been singing it, and I love it that way. It would be ridiculous to sing our anthem twice and then the American anthem. Canada Rocks!! :D

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I've been hearing it that way since elementary school.

10. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    who gives a damn? if you had to stand through 2 versions of our national anthem then sit through the american national anthem, people would be throwing stuff on the ice. the anthem is not an abomination, it's not like the words are being changed. the anthem is the same song in 2 languages and it's fine.

11. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    How about singing it all in English in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, and the territories, French in Quebec, and French and English in New Brunswick? Anyone see what I'm gettin at? ;)

*PS: the above was written by an American who actually knows the provinces! Can you believe it??? :D *

12. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    As far as I know, it is only sung in English in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (with the exception of small French communities)... :confused:

13. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    "it's not like the words are being changed. the anthem is the same song in 2 languages

Actually, its not :)
    O Canada! Land of our forefathers
    Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
    As in thy arm ready to wield the sword,
    So also is it ready to carry the cross.
    Thy history is an epic of the most brilliant exploits.

Thy valour steeped in faith
    Will protect our homes and our rights
    Will protect our homes and our rights.

That sound the same as the English version you sing? :p Fact is, the words are changed, not that I care, just being anally-retentive :)

14. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    My only complaint is when you forget when to switch from English to French, lol ;) :D

15. Rinannonwen

Rinannonwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2003
    I don't think I have heard the anthem sung in both together. When I was in elementary school we would sing it in english and then french(I think, it has been a few years). I did attend a french immersion school, so we may have done it different. Besides school I never even heard it in french. Most likely because there are not a lot of french-speaking people in Alberta. I think it is sad how few Canadians speak french (sadly I include myself in that, I forgot most of what I learned, I don't use it enough) I like the idea of singing the anthem in both languages eather together or one and then the other. We are a bilingual country, it should show! I think the lyrics were written in french first too, then an english version was written. I think that is cool.

16. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I support that idea wholeheartedly. I speak English and French... usually at the same time. :p Gotta love NB.

17. Rinannonwen

Apr 2, 2003
    I have been known to switch languages periodically, I know a bit of french and spanish besides english. I usualy try to speak other languages only at home where people will understand me. Peple find it a little odd when you suddenly start speaking in another language, especially when they don't understand it.

18. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    My friends are mostly billingual too, so they don't even notice when I start muttering in French. :p

19. Rinannonwen

Apr 2, 2003
    I am not really bilingual though. My parents wanted me to learn french so they put me into school in french. I used to know french better than my parents. My younger sisters don't know any, except for the little words and phraised that they picked up from listening to me sometimes. They still don't like it when I speak in french though. They still have not picked up on any spanish. But I don't speak that one as much.

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    In New Brunswick, about half the students start French Immersion in grade one. If you ask me, it's the only thing about our school system that works.

21. Rinannonwen

Apr 2, 2003
    About the only thing I learned in French Immersion was the french language, the only part of the french language that I picked up well was the accent. I don't know why I did though. None of the other kids in my class did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.