main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

whats with these Vong?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kosure, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    First off, I just want to say that I'm not trying to slam anyone who loves the Vong, I'm really not, just keep reading.

I just started reading Vector Prime, (so no spoilers please) But I'm having a hard time. One of my favorite things about the Star Wars universe is that things are sort of beleviable. If you can make concessions for the force, and some other things, everything would totally be able to happen.

Enter the Vong.

The possibilities for many of the 'organic technology' to exist are questionable. But the kickers are the villips. An eyeball thing that inverts to look like someones face billions and billions of miles away. And two villips are inexplicably linked. The only thing in my mind the could do that is the force. But the Vong don't use the force.

What im trying to say is that Star Wars is more important to me than just so dumb sci fi. What I'm afraid of is that the Yuuzhan Vong, arn't much more than that.

So if anyone has any insight that might help me stomach the Vong, I'd appreciate it.

2. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    I'm not surprised you find them wierd. The whole idea behind the Vong was to make them as alien as possible. Of course, we ended up with a sort of mix of Klingons and Borg, but they're still somewhat unique. And as for realism...
    Well, really, Star Wars has never been the cornerstone of hard science fiction. It's just for kicks. Considering it's basically a universe of warrior magicians with powers of no logical source flying faster-then-light ships which make sound in space, I never saw Star Wars as being remotely realistic, technology wise....
    I too found the Vong a little odd, initially, but as the series went on I just went with it, and, eventually, got over it.
    Basically, keep reading, and your brain will just stop caring. Maybe.

3. CaptainArdiff

CaptainArdiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    There was that Zahn Conquerors series where the aliens communicated using ghosts anchored to Fsss (sp?) cuttings.

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The thing is as you progress though the series the Vong will become more "human" to you, especially as their technology is explained by either the Vong or the NR. I personally liked the Vong in the series, they revived SW for me, as without them odds are I would've stopped reading new books and that would've sucked. :(

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The Vong were created because DelRey was ordered not to use the Sith, so we have a race of aliens that use biotech. It's been used a lot in Scifi before, and it seems to work very well in here.

6. Yun-Yuuzhan13

Yun-Yuuzhan13 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2004
    as Errant_Venture said, as you read to yuuzhan-vong will be explained by many different groups. As to your villip question, I'm not trying to spoil it for you, but they operate much the same why a gravity well projector operates, by simulating gravitational lines that other villips can pick up very far away.

7. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, thats something at least.

Thanks a lot.

If anyone else has anything, feel free to post as well.

8. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    I've always had the impression that Vong use gravity waves to communicate. We know that every bit of matter in the universe is connected to every other bit of matter by invisible 'Gravity Waves' and that if something were to happen to a single bit of matter, let's say a subatomic particle, then every other piece of matter in the universe would be instantly affected by the change in that particle.

The Villips could then theoretically communicate by waving and flexing and bending the gravity waves which connect the two together, sort of similar to how our radios work.

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Keep reading, with each book comes more sense, in my opinion...I just finished AoC I, Hero's Trial.

By then it makes perfect sense in my opinion.

-Seldon

10. Master-Omaj-Kadub

Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 22, 2000
    Kosure,

I loved the first book, partly because it was the one that got my back interested in reading about Star Wars...

The NJO, Vong and all of the many species/empires/planets and groups that
    come together to make this a pretty good
    series.....

I'm just wrapping up the last book now....

Good Luck....

11. beedubew

beedubew Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I initially had beef with the Vong too. Not for the same reason though. I think that "organic technology" is as realistic as any of the other things we all accept in the GFFA: faster than light travel; artificial gravity; lightsabers (this unique way of making a light beam simply stop around a meter in length); weapons loosing heavily focused, visible energy beams; noise/fireballs in space; repulsorlifts; etc.

No, I didn't like the Vong cause I felt they were too alien and reminded me too much of Star Trek. That said, by the time the Dark Tide duology was over, I found them tolerable. Then by Edge of Victory: Conquest, I started to like them. Why? Because I could finally see more of what was going on with them. I just became interested; they have some very intriguing characters. My vote is to give them some time to grow on you...like a coral implant.

Bee

12. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Like others have said, they grow on you. The Yuuzhan Vong seem more faceless the first few books, but the second half of the series in particular really adds some great characters.

13. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Man it never even occurred to me how much I disliked the vong at first as well and then got to where I could not wait to read there parts in the books.

Strange that most people feel this same way.

Just stick with it they will grow with you.

14. Mahtan_Luinwe

Mahtan_Luinwe Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2003
    This is Star Wars, almost anything goes.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Vong sort of annoyed me a bit at the start- but that's only because Vector Prime had the one political group of the Vong, and that probably resulted in VP being one of my least favorite entries in the NJO (not as bad as DJ, but hovering next around BP).

Once they got past that group by the second book, they got more interesting and the series really picked up.

16. Bpfashforever

Bpfashforever Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    I liked them from the very beginning, it was that guy at ExGal 4 who really got me hooked on the NJO. The Yuuzhan Vongs are perhaps some of my mostest favourite things in the NJO. Well, no, but Nom Anor's cool. And they hate the Jedi.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    It's utterly ridiculous. That two headballs had communicate telepathicly anywhere in the galaxy, thousands of lightyears apart.

That starfighters can produce miniture black holes that can swallow vast quantities of torps and all.

That the Vong, already taller and heavier than average Human-class specs, can't even be stunned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.