main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whats wrong with making Yoda much stronger then Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I heard that one of the reasons why they removed dooku fighting Yoda with two lightsabers was because they didn't want to make it look like Yoda was by far superior to Dooku. Yeah Yoda still has the upper hand, but the fight still looks about even. What would be wrong with showing that Yoda is by far the better fighter then Dooku?

After all Anakin beats Dooku, and Yoda is about even (if not alittle stronger) then the Emperor. So making Yoda look about even with Dooku isn't right.

I'd prefer to make Yoda look much stronger then Dooku by having those parts where Dooku uses two sabers againts Yoda.

2. kynot

kynot Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    I think it would have been great if yoda was way better than dooku.

3. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I thought it was the Anakin vs Dooku duel that featured dual lightsaber action that was cut. Unless both Yoda and Anakin both had two lightsabers and both were trimmed out--i guess Lucas is a one lightsaber type of man.

4. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I think he is better, Dooku basically ran from him by putting Obi/Anakin in danger. Then running to his ship.

5. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    I absolutley agree.

Yoda was personified in the OT as one of the greatest Jedi Masters in the Universe.

Granted, the duel shouldn't have been a cake walk for him, but it should have shown Dooku clearly bested at the end, running away with his tail between his legs.

Dooku was not really an important character, so downsizing his ability wouldn't derail the storyline too much.

6. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    "Stronger than the Emperor"? Riiiight... as if falling further away from the lightning explosion counts in Yoda's favor.

7. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I can clearly remember seeing Sidious in pain as his own Lightning was being used against him...again. There was a close up on Yoda were he looked as if anger was being felt or used. He then stops. I agree overall they were about even. Yeah Yoda ran, but what was Sidious headed for the door for? Yoda admits the darkside is stronger. It just overtakes you. Its faster but for a shorter time i think.

8. MasterThor

MasterThor Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Remember that Yoda trained Dooku, so Dooku knew a lot of Yoda's tricks. It was also shown that yoda was more powerful because dooku didnt fly around jumping and swinging his lightsaber. Plus yoda knew how to deflect dooku's lightning, and absorb it. Seems like yoda is more powerful to me.

9. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    Yoda is more powerful, but what i'm saying is IF they cut out Dooku fight Yoda with 2 sabers because it would make Yoda look stronger, then it should be added back in so it can show for sure how much stronger Yoda was. The stronger you make Yoda against Dooku the more powerful that makes the emperor look.

"Wow yoda was owning Dooku, and he had 2 sabers. Now he's struggling to keep up with the emperor. This emperor is one bad mo fo"

10. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Was this an idea, or deleted scene that I midded? I have never even heard of it.

The only jedi to wield two sabers in the PT was Anakin, and supposedly another jedi in the ring @ Geonosis (still haven't confirmed myself).

Where did you get that info?

11. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    I think some people misunderstood the creator of this thread. Count Dooku used two lightsabers for a short time, his own, and Obi Wan's. But Yoda still bested Dooku when he did. The scene was cut out, but I would like to see it back in the film, especially since the reaction to Yoda's lightsaber dueling was mostly positive.

12. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    How long did Dooku use the sabers againts Yoda in these deleted scenes? And I'm guessing Yoda cut the sabers tip like Dooku cuts Anakins? It'd be cool to see.

Isn't it funny how much better the ending lightsaber fights could of been at the end of AOTC. (Obi vs Dooku, Anakin Vs Dooku, and Yoda Vs Dooku) All of them i hear were cut big time. I still like the fights, but many say they are the weakest fights in the saga (i say ANH obviously)

But I think out of obi and anakin, Yoda is the one who needs to clearly come out on top and show his skills. not show he's even or somewhat close, but flat out able to defeat dooku. And dooku dropping that pillar is the only thing that saved his life.

13. Gungan_Sith

Jun 11, 2005
    I don't know how long they lasted, I just know that they exist because they were in the AOTC graphic novel, which contains a lot of deleted stuff. And I agree that all of the lightsaber duels in AOTC need to be longer. Especially the Anakin/Dooku fight, which was supposedly butchered more than either of the other two.

14. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    I wonder if there are lines too that they cut out.

15. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh yeah, supposedly there were a lot more lines of Dooku taunting Obi-Wan before theyw ere cut.

Slimy!

16. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    what else does Yoda say to Dooku?

17. Gungan_Sith

Jun 11, 2005
    Here is what was deleted from the fight based on the graphic novel:

When Obi and Dooku fight, at some point Dooku says "Come, come, Master Kenobi. Put me out of my misery."

Then when Anakin and Dooku fight, right before Obi Wan throws Anakin his lightsaber, Dooku says to Anakin, "You have unusual powers, young padawan. But not enough to save you this time." Anakin then says, "Don't bet on it." Anakin also weakens Dooku a lot and is winning for a bit before Dooku cuts off him arm.

From the Yoda fight, Dooku grabs Obi's lightsaber and uses it against Yoda along with his own. But Yoda knocks Dooku's lightsaber out of his hand, leaving him with just Obi's. Which makes no sense because in AOTC, Dooku is still holding his lightsaber when he escapes. I assume that in the movie, it is Obi's lightsaber that is knocked out of Dooku's hand. Also, before Dooku says, "This is just the beginning," he says, "The battle is far from over."

That is all I can find in the graphic novel, but I'll see what I can find in the script of AOTC.

18. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    awww man.. all of that sounds good.

1) more talking in a fight which is good. (just like the OT fights)

2) It makes anakin stronger. Which he should be. If dooku says anakin is strong and anakin almost gets dooku this time, then in ROTS it makes even more sense that anakin can take him on.

3) and of course making Yoda stronger is a major plus, cuz then it shows how strong the emperor is. If dooku has to cheat and get 2 sabers to fight Yoda then that shows Dooku is scared of Yoda. And making Yoda much stronger then Dooku.

I sure would like to see this stuff.

this and the Jedi attacking the droid base.

19. Gungan_Sith

Jun 11, 2005
    Okay, this is taken from an early draft of the AOTC script, so it doesn't have Dooku fighting Yoda with two sabers, but it has a lot we don't see.

"INT. GEONOSIS, SECRET HANGER TOWER - LATE DAY
    COUNT DOOKU throws switches on a control panel. His Interstellar Sail Ship is guarded by a SQUAD OF SUPER BATTLE DROIDS. The doors of the exit-port slide open.

DROID CAPTAIN
    Your Excellency!

COUNT DOOKU turns as OBI-WAN and ANAKIN run in through the hanger doors. They draw their lightsabers. The DROIDS raise their weapons.

COUNT DOOKU
    That won't be necessary, Captain.
    Stand down. And leave them to me.

The DROIDS lower their weapons and back off to the walls. COUNT DOOKU looks at OBI-WAN and ANAKIN with slight amusement.

OBI-WAN
    (to Anakin)
    We move in together - you slowly
    on the...

ANAKIN
    I'm taking him now!

OBI-WAN
    Anakin, no!

ANAKIN
    You'll pay for all the Jedi you've
    killed today, Dooku.

ANAKIN charges across the open space at COUNT DOOKU, who smiles faintly, watching him come. ANAKIN raises his lightsaber. At the last moment, COUNT DOOKU thrusts out an arm, and ANAKIN is lifted up, hurled across the room, and slammed into the opposite wall. He slumps to the foot of the wall, semi-conscious. COUNT DOOKU moves toward OBI-WAN

COUNT DOOKU
    Kenobi, isn't it? As you can see,
    my Jedi powers are far beyond
    yours. Now, back down.

OBI-WAN
    I don't think so.

OBI-WAN lifts his lightsaber. COUNT DOOKU smiles.

COUNT DOOKU
    Ah, but if I must.

COUNT DOOKU draws his lightsaber. He and OBI-WAN start to circle each other.

COUNT DOOKU
    (continuing)
    I have spent the last ten years
    learning to use the power of the
    Dark Side. It gives me infinitely
    greater power.

OBI-WAN
    You will have to prove it.

OBI-WAN comes in fast, swinging at COUNT DOOKU'S head. DOOKU parries the cut easily. As they fight, it quickly becomes clear that DOOKU is the complete swordsman - elegant, graceful, classical - a master of the old style.

COUNT DOOKU
    Grand Master Kenobi, you
    disappoint me. Yoda holds you in
    such high esteem.

COUNT DOOKU parried another cut.

COUNT DOOKU
    (continuing)
    Surely you can do better...?
    (parries)
    No, I'm surprised. Has Jedi
    swordsmanship degenerated so
    quickly, or are you trying to make
    fun of me?
    (cuts)
    Which is it?

COUNT DOOKU thrusts. OBI-WAN steps back quickly, panting for breath.

COUNT DOOKU
    (continuing)
    come, come, Master Kenobi. Put me
    out of my misery.

OBI-WAN takes a deep breath, gets a fresh grip on his lightsaber and comes in again. For a moment, he drives COUNT DOOKU back. Then Dooku's superior skill begins to tell again, and he forces OBI-WAN to retreat.

COUNT DOOKU increases the tempo of his attack. OBI-WAN is pushed to the limit to defend himself. DOOKU presses. His lightsaber flashes.

OBI-WAN is wounded in the shoulder, then the thigh. He stumbles back against the wall, trips, and falls. His lightsaber goes skittering across the floor.

COUNT DOOKU raises his lightsaber. OBI-WAN looks up helplessly. Dooku's lightsaber flashes down and CLASHES against - Anakin's lightsaber! COUNT DOOKU and ANAKIN stare eyeball to eyeball.

COUNT DOOKU
    (continuing)
    That's brave of you, boy - but
    foolish. I would have thought
    you'd have learnt your lesson.

ANAKIN
    I'm a slow learner.

And ANAKIN charges at COUNT DOOKU. The force of his attack catches the Count slightly off balance. Anakin's lightsaber flashes. COUNT DOOKU draws back, putting a hand to his arm. He takes the hand away and looks at the smear of blood whee Anakin has nicked him.

COUNT DOOKU
    You have unusual powers, young
    Padawan. But not enought to save
    you this time.

ANAKIN
    Don't bet on it!

OBI-WAN
    Anakin!

OBI-WAN uses the Force to catch his lightsaber and he tosses it to ANAKIN. With TWO LIGHTSABERS, ANAKIN attacks. COUNT DOOKU parrie

20. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    I like the fact that in the original Dooku uses the force to through Anakin across the room instead of lightning. And when Obi wan raises his saber and says "i dont think so" there wasnt suppose to be lightning. (I always thought that Obi wan barely responded to the lightning. He was way to calm. He blocked lightner better then mace and Yoda)

I think i'd be better if dooku didn't have it, and they saved it for the emperor. Plus i like how when dooku was gonna strick obi wan, that Anakin pops out of no where. Instead of seeing anakin do the crazy 40 ft jump thats 2 feet off the ground. I'd rather be suprised then see that weirdish jump.

And again by having dooku use 2 sabers its makes Yoda look stronger, which makes the emperor look stronger.

21. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    i totaly agree with you jm luke

i would have loved to see dooku with 2 sabres

22. JMaster Luke

May 7, 2000
    man i should of spelled checked my last post.

23. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, when obi-wan blcoks the lightning with his saber, he DOES know its lightning. If you watch the scene again, obi-wan makes a motion with his other hand and gestures towards his saber, immediately the lightning shifts in midair to strike the saber instead. This means lucas had this planned out and told mcgregor to make the motion with his hand, so that it would appear he was using the force when they cgi the lightning in afterwards.

As to why he appears so calm is becuase:

1) Sidious's lightning is stronger than dooku's.

2)It obi-wan! The coolest, calmest jedi out there. Recall his duel with jango, and how he said "not good" when he was about to fall after jango. That and obi-wan is not that much behind mace and yoda in terms of power.

3)Yoda always looks like he is going to take a crap when he uses the force. Just look at the expression on the frog's face during his force duel with dooku. Same with Mace; sam jackson always overdoes it. I much prefer Obi-Wans calmness (very jedi like) to the retarded expressions of Yoda, and the dark side emotions Mace seems to portray. Jedi ARE supposed to be calm you know, being light side and all. ;)

As to why dooku did not use two sabers against yoda, the scene, IF it was fimed at first, was probably cut because since yoda is so small even single saber fighting is hard to pull off due to the scale between the characters. With two sabers it would be even harder.

I do understand what you want jmluke, that Yoda ought to have been shown as stronger. However, perhaps lucas did not do this because he wasnted to show Yoda had become quite old, and though still one of the best, he was not in as top a form as he used to be.

24. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    IMO, Yoda better than Dooku, but not by far. But, he could have easily killed Yoda in the battle, but that would have sacrificed Anakin, and, if I am not mistaken, he was under strict orders to keep Anakin alive.

darth_nemisis

25. GTyper

GTyper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    I heard that one of the reasons why they removed dooku fighting Yoda with two lightsabers was because they didn't want to make it look like Yoda was by far superior to Dooku. Yeah Yoda still has the upper hand, but the fight still looks about even. What would be wrong with showing that Yoda is by far the better fighter then Dooku?

I think having Yoda as this insanely powerful fighter is one of the stupidest parts of the PT.

I always considered Yoda ABOVE lightsaber combat. His mind was his weapon and he wasn't this powerful swordsman. He could defend himself ... but he would never have to.

But, I think the reason for this is because if Yoda is made TOO powerful the threat of the Sith becomes faint. It isn't a real danger. I mean, the battledroids ... nothing. The first sith died to a padawan. The other sith is hiding. If Dooku is chumped by Yoda, then it becomes hard to take a Sith threat seriously.

After all Anakin beats Dooku, and Yoda is about even (if not alittle stronger) then the Emperor. So making Yoda look about even with Dooku isn't right.

Well, I know that everyone will jump up and say the book isn't canon, but according to the book Anakin was really the freaking man.

The other man was Sidious.

Yoda KNEW he couldn't beat Sidious with or without Kenobi's help ... which is why he sent Kenobi to deal with Anakin. And Anakin was pretty much drilling Kenobi and lost the battle in his own head.

Using this as a backdrop - I would put Yoda somewhere up there ... but not really the best. I think the movie failed to portray how DEADLY Anakin had become. The book gives you a much greater insight into his power.

I'd prefer to make Yoda look much stronger then Dooku by having those parts where Dooku uses two sabers againts Yoda.

Again, doing this diminishes the screen presence of Dooku and the threat of the Sith. So, for the sake of your love of one character the narrative is harmed. I'm not sure I think that is a wise move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.