main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI What's wrong with us lately?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by SwordChick, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwordChick

SwordChick Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Ok, I've been watching the boards for a while and quite frankly I'm worried about the lack of postings here. For a while it was going great, especially after our camp out in August but now there?s hardly any new posts when I check at night. This concerns me because now we are a bigger fan force and have more activities going on than ever with the sub groups - if anything there should be more communication of the TFN board. So what?s going on? It really started dropping off about the time of the parade feud - are people still harboring hurt feelings over that issue, or is everybody just too busy this month, or talking on IMs all the time, or what?

Sorry if I?m irritating anybody with this but this Fan Force means a lot to me & I know I?m not alone on that. I don?t want to see us fall apart just when it seems like we?ve got a really great thing going here.

All right, that?s my rant - PLEASE RESPOND! Let?s try to get some posts going on the board here again.

2. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Wow, that was a great speech. I feel for you. This is my onley Star Wars/ Costuming group open to me untill I am 18. Untill then, this is my onley insight into the Star Wars fanbase.

Keep on Truckin'
    Capt_Piett

3. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I know I have been busier then normal at work, and midnightguard and I only have one computer to share in the evening, somehow I don't win very often :(

TK1260 is being overworked. Damn the man (work that is)

I tend not to post to threads unless I actually have something to say. I've never been one to babble when writting (I sucked as a pen pal)

4. TK497

TK497 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2002
    Busy, busy, busy.... I'll show up to events, help when I can, but right now I'm a little swamped to chat on the boards. I'm looking forward to the dueling and I have a lot of preparation yet to do for the start up of another rpg this Friday (which is non FF related). So basically I haven't had much to say in the last week or two...

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I've been really busy the last couple of weeks. I actually didn't turn on my computer for a week ... the horror. But I'm trying to get a little computer time in when I have the chance.

I defiantely don't have any bad feelings over the whole parade thing--as far as I'm concerned, that was settled at the meeting.

Any ideas how we can liven this place up again?

6. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I think that Fall in general tends to be a busier time for most people,with school and all,or in my case,working more.

I dunno,I guess you have to take it as you get it.Sometimes the boards are going to be busier than at other times,that's just the way it goes.The activity threads seem to still do well,it's really the SW discussion threads that have dropped off.Those are the topics I'd like to see get going again.

Hopefully,no one has any lingering ill will over the parade thing.If they do,well,I guess that's just their problem.Sorry,but that's how I see it.They'll come back when they're ready,and if they choose not to,then that's okay too.The rest of us will still have fun and plan things.

7. RocketScience

RocketScience Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 1999
    Ditto for me on the "too much work" thing. One more big one on October 10-12 and then things should settle down. If I could just get a couple of days at work, without any new projects to do, then things should be caught up. Plus, hubby has monopolized the good computer for his work.

J.

**Who cleaned her work desk today for the first time in 3 weeks. Now, there's one at home........**

8. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    SC I have been thinking them same thing for the last week where is everbody? There doe's seem to be a lack of postings going on. I can look at the boards at 8 in the morning then look at them at 7 at night and not one person has posted a thing. We need more posting and some new people on the boards.

The only problem for me is that a lot of our outings take place down towards the Novi area and that makes it hard on me to get down to. Now that is no one's problem but mine so no one feel bad for me. I have to live with that.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Well I've lost my job and girlfriend in the past 4 days. Other than that, nothing's wrong

10. SwordChick

SwordChick Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Brad, that's awful! I'm so sorry, man. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out.

Thank you guys for responding! I was extatic when I signed on & there were posts!! :D Like most of you, I have been very busy lately & I really haven't been posting much either. I just wanted to make sure that cramped scheduals were the cause of the drop off & not an underlying conflict between members. Boy, I sure hope the work load lightens up for all of us!

11. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I too feel bad for you:(,

But don't worry, you will probably wind up finding a much better place to work than wherever you were, and you will find an even better gf. you never know what may happen . Sometimes things that seem bad are a blessing in disguise.

Of course that is easier for me to say while having a job I suppose, but I lost an engineering job in July 2000 and could not even find a job for 11 months, a job I am sitll at, but I am a low end person still. So I can understand. As far as the gf thing, I never had a gf so I don't know what to tell you other than I know that is hard, but anyhow, You will be ok ;)

12. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Don't you hate it when "real life" interferes with SW?? The nerve!

(And busyness is my biggest reason right now, too. Silly kids want their tests checked on time. The nerve! ;) )

Regards,
    M.

13. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Brad-Hang in there,buddy. :)

Mirax-Geez,some people's kids,eh? :)

14. Morrigan_McKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    RG, I work for the U of M, if there is anything I can do to help you find a job just let me know. The have an 8 page application, but jobs are still being posted. If I know people in the area that you bid for I can put in a word.

15. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    M. you could always do what we had to do in school and make them grade there own work. Pass your paper to the person behind you worked for us. [face_laugh]

Brad look on the bright side you could have been married to her and one day she wants a divorce and half of your collection. This way she gets nothing. Remember the same thing happened to George Lucas and look where he is at today.

Remember there is that one special person for each of us.

16. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    I, too, have been extraordinarily busy lately....I am down to a one man show at my job. Brad, have any electronics experience? Don't worry SC, I still like you guys! ;)

17. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Having been around for a while, I can tell you that a slow down in the number of posts in not unusual. It?s a combination of the ?newness? wearing off and the post AOTC fervor winding down. Same thing happened to our group after TPM (and AOTC).

As people get more comfortable with the group, they don?t feel the need to post constantly or express their opinion on every topic or question. Everyone pretty much knows each other, so there?s less ?getting-to-know-you? chitchat.

More and more business gets discussed off the boards either at meetings or via email among the leadership, and ?big-picture? questions such as by-laws or sub groups have all generally been settled. In many clubs, group-wide announcements general go out via email lists, and in general the board becomes less central to running the group. I don?t think it?s anything to worry about too much, the whole point of fan force is to create real life groups that meet in person and plan events.

That said, there are some things you can do to increase post counts. There?s a whole thread of ideas here, but the basic jist is to create more social thread (which ironically you guys don?t seem to have many of). Try starting up a few simple and stupid games so that even people that are uber busy can post a word or two and still make their presence known.

Anywho, that?s my $.02 of pop/geek/fan/SW psychology. You guys are doing great, keep it up! ;)

~H~

18. Motman241

Motman241 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    I, too, feel the strain and awkwardness of it all. Much to my relief, I discovered that it's NOT the group as a whole. I think we may have lost some of our group as it is. Hanging out with some individuals from the group, independently, has made me realize that there are some souls in the group that I truly cherish, and don't want to lose. (it must've been that whole fighting Darth Maul thing in the video game that did it ;)) I agree, though - we need to get back to basics, and just enjoy Star Wars more. I keep checking AOL everynight, just to see if 'the regulars' are on. :)

I'm not all that much more busy right now, but work is a bear, trying to get time off. Especially most every weekend. I want to do stuff with everyone, but I can't get the time off. As we get closer to Christmas, it will get worse for me. I am not blaming work at all for not posting, though. I guess I'm kinda like Kate - I don't want to post unless I have something to say.

>>Remember there is that one special person for each of us. >> Don't even get me started!!! :) Actually, Brad, if you want to PM me, or Emil me directly, I may have some encouraging words for ya.

19. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I too am sorry to hear of your current situation, Sir Royalguard. I am confident that you'll bounce back.

You can beat me in the Yahoo league this weekend if you want. ;)

As far as posting goes:

I haven't been able to break away from home very often. In addition, the meetings take place rather far away now, which isn't terribly bad considering the fact that the meetings are once a month, but it is a small factor. Lastly, the lack of presence in these meetings make hooking up with the gang for special events, and especially the new areas of interest unachievable thus far.

What this means is that I have nothing to contribute to any of the threads involving dueling, collecting, costuming, the parade, etc etc. I love to read, so I could get involved with the book one, but I haven't attempted it yet.

Most of my posts back in the day were primarily in regards to Star Wars related topics anyway, such as thoughts on the new film, who's your favorite character, elements of myth, etc. There's very little of that sort of thing now, replaced with specialized threads I cannot contribute to.

That's primarily why I haven't posted as often...not that I used to post a whole lot to begin with. :)

20. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    This is just the busiest time of year in my office so I've been swamped with work. Since I usually do most of my posting at work, that is why I haven't been very active on the forum.

21. Morrigan_McKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    So I have to be sarcastic...Ya, take advice from a single guy :)

Couldn't help myself Tom...hugs

22. JayceCavalier

JayceCavalier Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    I think that DarthJurist is right on.

I especially like this:

"the whole point of fan force is to create real life groups that meet in person and plan events."

Right on, man!

I think we're a pretty healthy group right now, despite a few growing pains.

Just look at all the activites we do! That says something about the group for sure!

You're all pretty special folks and I'm glad I got involved with this group!

-Jason

23. Motman241

Motman241 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    This question has been bouncing around for quite some time, but it still kinda makes ya wonder - what will happen after Episode 3? What will happen to this group, and other groups across the country? Will there still be conventions and stuff? Will this group remain friends, even though we may not do Star Wars stuff anymore (I know we'll still talk about it!:))

And yes, Kate, I am single - and much happier now, than I ever would be, staying with the wrong person. :)

24. Morrigan_McKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    STAR WARS WILL LIVE ON FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

As generations continue to come more young ones will be corrupted. The fans will never let it die.

Being single can be a blast! :)

It would suck for me not to have Rob though, we are pretty strange individually, not to mention together, yikes! :D

25. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    (in a droaning and monatone voice) yes dear.. whatever you say dear.... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.