main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI What's your favorite EU book/series?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TheHuntressDiana, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    I know Mirax is a big fan of the last X-Wing book...but what about the rest of you? If you even read the EU books that is. :)

2. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I've only read a few of the EU books and they were quite horrible,so I really never got into it.

Although some of the prequel-era EU stuff isn't too bad,I generally avoid the EU.

3. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Tales from the Cantina and any one of the Jedi Academy Trilogy!

4. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    You stole my answer, Bianca!

But, it's true. My favorite series is the X-Wing books and my favorite book is X-Wing #9 - Starfighters of Adumar. Even if you've been reluctant to read these because they lack "the Big Three" characters, I'd recommend them highly!! Wedge and Company rock!!

Regards,
    M.

5. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Sorry Mirax...but I figured I had to pull someone else's name in my first post. ;)

And I agree...the X-Wing books are among my favorites. Tycho is one of my favorite Rogues.

There was some info on the newest NJO book, 'bout Wedge that caught me off guard. I had no idea highlight to read -->he married Iella Wessiri, much less had 2 daughters! Talk about some things being left out of the loop!

6. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Bianca,

You should get the graphic novel for Star Wars: Union. That particular bit of info on Wedge was confirmed in that series, along with similar info on my name's sake.

M.

7. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Really? Hmm, I'll have to check my comic shop on Friday then...see if they've got a copy. :)

8. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    where is the local comic shop for this area?
    i usually have to make a trip either to Comic Relief in Flint or to Time Travelers in Berkley (which is a collectors heaven)

9. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I also enjoyed the X-wing series, but I've only read to the 7th book myself. I enjoy the stories involving Thrawn. Jedi Acedemy was good.

I am enjoying the current New Jedi Order series if only because the mass chaos & destruction shakes things up a bit, but I am disturbed by the notion that the Vong cannot be felt by the force and that it limits the Jedi's abilities against them. I'm sure they'll explain it eventually, but the Vong are living creatures, and Jedi have shown their skills against non-living opponents throughout the films (Luke's remote training, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. the Droidekas). I need explanations!!

10. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    The place I go to is in Pontiac, Comix City. It's in the Oakland Pointe plaza on the Telegraph side of Summit Place Mall. It's about 2 stores down from the furniture place.

I don't really know of any other places that are further north than that, but I like the store.

11. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    Could you define 'this area', FearAndBullets?

BTW - Comic Relief is the place I used to frequent. In fact, it is just minutes from where I work (Atherton & Saginaw). There is another store on Saginaw maybe 1/2 mile south of Bristol (I think). I spotted one just days ago on Vienna Road in Clio near I-75. I cannot recall the name of the place.

12. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I've never read the NJO series,but I do have a theory about DP's question regarding the Vong and the Force.My theory is that EU writers made their Jedi characters too powerful and the only way they(the writers)could get themselves out of the corner they had written themselves into was to take away the Jedi's ability to sense the Vong or use the Force against them or however it worked.

Again,I haven't read those books,but that's the same theory I had about why they brought in the Ysilimari(sp?).

13. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm not a big EU reader, but I have read a few. My favorite would have to be Shadows of the empire.

14. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    I certainly agree that the NJO "can't feel 'em with the Force" concept was schemed so that the Jedi would have a challenge which would give the books some needed tension. I just don't buy the concept, but then it may come to pass that the writers will explain themselves. The Ysilimari effect was at least given some sort of explanation. That's enough rant regarding the Vong from me. Sorry. :)

Oops. I forgot Shadows of the Empire. Very cool. Meesa like.

15. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I love anything prequal-era or before, especially about Obi-Wan's apprenticeship to Qui-Gon and the ancient sith and Jedi. I really haven't read much EU, until lately, when I picked up the Essential Chronology...now I must read EU, It really hooked me. :D

16. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    I love reading about the pre-republic Jedi. Nomi...Ulic...Vima...etc. Love all that old Jedi stuff. Love it! :cool:

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I've always enjoyed Tales of the Bounty Hunters, as well as the Zahn novels and the Jedi Academy Trilogy. The NJO books are certainly a different breed from before, but I'm reserving judgement until the series is complete. The latest installment in the NJO series comes out on Tuesday. I know I'll be hitting Waldenbooks to get my copy ;)

M_D, will you be able to join us for our next meeting on April 13?

18. MiraxTHorn

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh my goodness! It completely slipped my mind that there is a new book on Tuesday. And I haven't finished Dark Journey yet :( . I've been too busy working on my costume for CII to read. Pretty shameful to forget about the book I've been looking forward to for about a year now! FYI, Aaron Allston writes funny stuff. I hope this one will be. Goodness knows the NJO could use a little levity.

M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.