main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your favorite Kevin Smith film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Son of the Suns, Sep 1, 2001.

?

What's your favorite Kevin Smith film?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Clerks (1994)

24.0%
  2. Mallrats (1995)

13.5%
  3. Chasing Amy (1997)

15.0%
  4. Dogma (1999)

30.0%
  5. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)

17.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Ahil_Lucas

Princess_Ahil_Lucas Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2002
    It will always be Dogma but Clerks is in a close 2nd. I love Alan in Dogma and Brian O'Halloran in Clerks.

Ahil

2. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Chasing Amy is mine. The others rank high on my all-time movie list, except maybe Mallrats, although it's still a funny movie. J&SBSB is the funniest, but Chasing Amy has the best story and characters, and is still damn funny to boot.

3. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Mallrats! I know S.T. doesn't have the best performance, but you've gotta love Jason Lee as Brodie!

-Patches

4. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    I voted for Clerks, not because of its merits as a film, but because it's just so cheap and crappy that it inspires me to go out and make cheap and crappy films as well! :)

I do like all of his movies, though.

5. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I havent seen Clerks or Chasing Amy yet.

So from the ones i did see, i voted for Mallrats. That movie is so underrated.

6. FELICIA_ZEZILI

FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2001
    I would have to go with Dogma becasue it made me laugh at my religon and if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at?

Felicia Z. [face_devil]

7. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    hate the lot

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Dogma, but they're all great.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. cosa_nostra

cosa_nostra Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 3, 2002
    I voted for Dogma cause its the only one I've seen and it was freaking hilarious!

10. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
  11. Star5248z

Star5248z Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2002
    sorry, but who's Kevin Smith??? I don't get out much!

12. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
  13. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Dogma. I've seen it, Chasing Amy, and Mallrats, and Dogma was the one I enjoyed most.

14. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
  15. jc_stratus

jc_stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    I picked Mallrats, how can you not vote for a movie that has a topless person who tells your future?

16. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I'm usually reluctant to rank these movies, seeing as I feel guilty for putting one in last place. I already told you that Chasing Amy was my favourite, but here's the list regardless.

1. Chasing Amy
    2. Mallrats
    3. Clerks
    4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    5. Dogma

Clerks has the most special place in my heart- so I will explain specifically why I rated it 3rd. Again, so as not to feel guilty.

1. Chasing Amy beats Clerks, because it has the same realistic feel, but more substance.

Chasing Amy beats the rest because of said realistic feel and substance as well.

2. Mallrats beats Clerks only by a hair- and that's because I just like the character of Brodie so much. Clerks' writing was better and more original, to be sure, but sometimes I just can't stand watching Dante. He's the Luke Skywalker of the Viewaskewniverse.

Mallrats beats the other movies just due to seniority- I've had longer to love it. Sorry.

3. Clerks beats the two newest movies because it relied more on written humour than visual humour. Anyone can have a naked black man fall out of the sky, or two goons run into a matte painting. But it takes true genius to write something with dialogue as funny as in Clerks.

4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is the funniest of the 3 slapsticky movies (the other two being Mallrats and Dogma). It's only this low on the list because it's new, and because it is the final step in the de-evolution of Silent Bob from wise straight-man to googly-eyed buffoon.

5. Dogma is at the bottom of the pile for a lot of reasons, but lack of humour isn't one. It's a damn funny movie. But I've never seen someone flush a performance like The Last Scion did in that flick. What a sleepwalk. Not to mention there's just waaaaay too much talking about philosophy and stuff. Everyone who opens their mouth is making a point about something, always with the making a point. It gets seriously boring.

God was a woman, Jesus was black, Catholics mourn their religion, Pro-Choice isn't evil, People miss the point of Christianity, and on and on and on and on. That kind of yakking is unfunny, but what's worse, it's undramatic too. It's just soapboxing.

I hear that this movie was significantly more stirring for Catholics (and Christians in general) though. Perhaps if you don't have anything invested in that religion (like me) those expository dialogues are less interesting than if you are personally trying to deal with what they say.

17. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    ive seen them all, but chasing amy, but i plan to see it

mallrats it my choice, but it wasnt an easy one

18. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Dogma is his best but I voted for Jay and Silent Bob...cracks me up every time even if a lot of it is juvenile. A lot of it is clever too, especially if you're into movies.

"Hey Baby! You ever have your as---" er, nevermind. :p

19. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I'm sorry, no way was Dogma his best movie. Did you even see the other three?

20. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yeah, I've seen all of them a number of times. Dogma is his best, IMO, but they are all good.

21. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    chasing amy still makes me bust a gut in 2 parts the hooper x rant and when banky realizes hes in a lesbo bar hahahahahha.

ps rent drawing flys and vulgar!

22. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Well since I live in New Jersey and have been in half the stores in his movies...the one i've been in most is probubly the music store in chasing amy. I've been to asbury park alot too. Clerks and Dogma are the best written ones...mallrats has a certain good feel to it Brodie man snootchie bootchies! Chasing Amy has also a good feel to it, the song she sang was pretty good considering she wrote it. I like Jay and Silent Bob strike back the least but its still funny. It's only really funny the first time I saw it, after that I got bored. I'm going with AmGod. I mean Dogma. Clerks comes next cause I always compare my mornings to Dantes'. PLUS its the best written realistic peice of art in awhile. (excluding Tarantino films and Star Wars).

23. Chewsocka

Chewsocka Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2002
    Dogma, especially of you were raised Catholic. ;)

24. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    heehee, buddy christ was the best

25. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Have only seen Jay and Silent Bob, so it wins by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.