main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's Your Favorite Luke Scene?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 28, 2016.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
  2. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    This scene always spoke to me: knowing that he is being aggressively torn apart by the Emperor and his own fear and doubt start to pervade as he hides from his father. He knows that there is still good in Vader and that Vader himself is beginning to fill with doubt but he won't stop pursuing him. He must make a choice soon. He basks in the shadows and you can effectively "see" him being split in two, one shrouded in darkness and the other illuminated in hope. Luke gives in shortly afterword but I found that this was a really great use of cinematography and shadowing.

[​IMG]

3. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I realize it may be the most common one, possibly, but the Binary Sunset.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Darth Basin like this.
  4. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    It still amuses me how Yoda got into all his stuff and even whacked Artoo with his gimer stick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  5. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    It's a three-way tie for me between when Luke see's the Force ghosts at the end of ROTJ, the binary sunset scene and "You failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me." :luke::greensaber:

Ubraniff Zalkaz, Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  6. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    It's too hard to pick a favorite. One that I haven't seen in here yet is the lightsaber construction scene. I remember being so amazed when I first watched it. It adds to how unfamiliar and mysterious Luke is in the beginning, but because his entrance into Jabba's palace is such a good way for him to first show up, I think it's more memorable as a deleted scene. After Vader is in complete control at the end of TESB, Luke is in control now; Luke ignores Vader's pleas that troubled him before and starts to feel Vader's conflict. It's a very satisfying scene if you consider how much Luke has changed, how much more he develops in ROTJ, and that Luke succeeds in helping Vader turn back.

themoth likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "What's that flashing?"
    *SLAP!*

Alternate non-getting slapped by Han favourite Luke scene is when he first confronts Vader in Cloud City. Doesn't say a thing and it's great.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    At the moment, this one:

[​IMG]

I just love Luke's steadfast conviction in that movie.

9. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Lulu Mars

That was technically a better Vader scene ;). Anakin was coming back!

Sarge and Lulu Mars like this.
  10. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably in Jabbas palace, really shows he's not as much of a newbie anymore.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Totally agree with Zer0 Luke pulling back his hood with "You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookiee too me." is boss.

Darth Downunder and Lulu Mars like this.
  12. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Yep he had the Dagobah surrounding landscape to do it.

13. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    The Binary Sunset Scene in The Original Star Wars. The score for that scene is as perfect as you can get for a movie. I will say the TFA ending with Luke ranks up there now, as it capped off an already great movie!

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Darkslayer like this.
  14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Probably the last moments of ESB, with Luke and Leia's expressions as the MF leaves. It's dreamlike.

Or the first duel with Vader, the atmosphere is tense.

Darth Basin likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't know if it's my favorite Luke scene, but Yoda's death scene in ROTJ is a brilliant example of Hamill's listening as acting.

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    This so much. When Vader says "the Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." You can feel how scared, but also determined Luke is. It gives me chills every time.

17. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016

BenYodaDagobah: I am glad that they kept that scene out. It is better to keep it as a surprise when R2-D2 shoots out the light saber later.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Too many to choose from. In no particular order:

1. His courage & determination to fight back at Vader when he was on the ground & almost beaten in ESB. To get through Vader's defenses & strike his arm was amazing. Of course that came at a big cost.
    2. His salute, jump & somersault from the plank on the sail barge. Announced himself as a far more formidable warrior. In some ways that moment was the "return of the Jedi".
    3. The first instant seeing him remove his hood (with robotic hand) at the end of TFA. He looked perfect.

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Blowing up the death star

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the whole ESB duel .

but the one moment that really plays so well is when he's saying farewell to Han in ESB , and at the end of the scene he's about to say something but realises he doesn't need to .

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Great post. I love that deleted scene. As far as I am concerned, it's canon.

Darth Basin likes this.
  22. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Lazy_Ewok Yes, definitely. Luke giving the signal and R2 shooting the saber out is a great moment, especially with the triumphant "Return of the Jedi" cue.

Thanks themoth. Canon to me too. He had to make his lightsaber at some point. It's pretty cool he does it just before sending R2 and 3PO off. He knows what he's doing.

themoth likes this.
  23. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Any and every scene in the Emperors throne room in ROTJ

24. Maxum

Maxum Jedi Knight

Nov 25, 2015
    There are a few, but all of them were in ESB which remains the best of the original three, imo.

1. Luke entering the tree and his battle with "Vader."
    2. Luke unable to raise his X-wing and watches in amazement as Yoda does
    3. Luke learning Yoda's identity

But the best:

The entire Cloud City battle with Darth Vader. It is the best fight scene of all the fight scenes in SW. Why? Because it's not just a bunch of stunts, and jumping and swinging actions. The prequels were nothing but overdone saber battles with acrobatics and zero emotional heft. The new film was excellent, but I was still getting to know the new characters. The best saber duel was the one in Cloud City. It was realistic, imo. Luke was confident at first and mounted the steps to Vader, but he soon realized that he was outmatched. Despite this, he continued on, and you actually saw bruises and cuts on Luke's face. His hair was matted with sweat from the exhaustion and duration of the fight. He wasn't smug or "I'm so tough." He was determined to end the threat of Vader, and it took it's toll. Also, the small things in those fight scenes were great. When Luke swung his saber to avoid a piece of machinery that Vader sent his way, you SAW the gash and saw the smoke from the burn mark it left. When Luke makes his way up to the top of Cloud City looking for Vader, Vader suddenly attacks slashing violently and relentlessly against Luke, and Luke is just ducking and weaving to avoid the blade. Then when Luke engages Vader, you can see the railings spark and get severed with each blade strike coming down. When Luke is thrown to the ground, battered and bloodied and exhausted with Vader's blade at his throat and Vader telling him that he's "beaten and it's useless to resist," you can see the fear on Luke's face, and he hesitates. Then he calls upon his courage, steels himself, and swings Vader's blade away from him as Vader brings his blade down again, and when Luke is back on his feet, he gets a blow in and hurts Vader. You can hear Vader groan in pain. By the time Vader severs Luke's hand, and we get the big reveal, I was already holding my breath and sitting on the edge of my seat.

The Cloud City battle between Vader and Luke is epic because of all the little details, the emotion, the pain and exhaustion of the fight, and of course, the huge reveal. I haven't seen anything to rival it.

Luke Skywalker has always been my favorite Star Wars character because he brings the emotion and drama to the story and makes it seem real to me.

25. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Sail Barge Assault - the only time we saw badass Jedi in action in OT.
    TESB and RotJ duels were both epic as well.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.