main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's Your Favorite Parallel So Far.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediChick07, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediChick07

JediChick07 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    Well...?

I think the parallels within the saga are one of the things that make Star Wars the best.

My favorite is Luke watching the binary sunset, and Ani watching it in the same place. I know...it's minor but still so cool and nostalgic.

2. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Definitely.

With Luke we focus on the suns, "light"
    With Anakin we focus on his shadow, "dark"

Both leave the homestead after this:

Luke finds Ben Kenobi and the lightside of the force
    Anakin finds Shmi and the darkside of the force

Simply genius.

3. JediChick07

Oct 3, 2004
    finally somebody understands!

yes that parallel is coolest! The Luke vs. Vader fight in VI is supposed to be a parallel to the Anakin vs. Dooku fight in III I can't wait!

4. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    While i knew of this little tidbit, you might wanna watch out with Episode III info outside of the Episode III boards

One could get banned for it, and i'm spoiler-free too :)

Welcome to the boards though, and if not Episode III related - you can always find me if you want to debate or ask something (you can PM me, always ;) )

And since you seem to like Hayden, don't let the boards fool you (many don't like him) - fellow Hayden/Prequel lovers are out there.

Other parallells, i love how Anakin holding his scarred mothers body parallells Luke holding Anakins scarred body :)

- O_F

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Binary Sunset and the Homstead tops my list. A close 2nd or 3rd is the Padme/Leia parallels.

6. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm not sure if this was done intentionally or is merely a coincidence (I like to believe the former), but the scene where Anakin brings Shmi back to the homestead is pretty similar to the manner Vader walks from the Executor's bridge after losing Luke. Padmé comes out expecting to comfort him somehow, but the just brushes her off and keeps going, while Vader just ignores Piett while he fears the worst. The music is also chilling in both scenes.

7. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I love the twin-suns one. I also like:

Anakin after the death of his mother, looking up with fury in his eyes; Luke after the deaths of Owen and Beru, similar shot, looking up with fury in his eyes. Anakin's is at night with the fire-light flickering on his face; Luke's is in daytime.

Plus the little parallels, like the podracers locking together then breaking apart in TPM, and the speeder bikes locking together then breaking apart in RotJ; also, Anakin standing on the balcony looking out at the lake, just like Vader stands on his SD bridge looking out at the stars.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Anakin standing on the balcony looking out at the lake, just like Vader stands on his SD bridge looking out at the stars.

Ah, yes... excellent. That shot of Anakin is my absolute favorite, and I'm not sure I ever really made that connection consciously. This one, and the twin suns Anakin/Luke... just chilling.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    The Homestead on Tatooine and the symbolism of the Lars Homestead as the beginning of a journey for each Skywalker.

10. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw4.jpg]

GREATNESS, both are searching their feelings for the closest relatives they have left (Anakins mother, Vaders son)

Both will stop at nothing to attain their desired ones.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw3.jpg]

Both have just completely lost themselves in their anger and grief, both are disgusted by themselves and have just realized the horror of what they've done.

Both boldly claim "I am a Jedi" afterwards

11. BescinPrix

BescinPrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2004
    Obi-Franz. those two, and the binary sunset have to be THE absolute best scenes/parallels in the whole saga!

12. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw14.jpg]

Anakin looking for guidance, both very similar but yet - in context, polar opposites

[image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw15.jpg]

Both Skywalker-saviours have "saved" what they were so desperate to save, both Skywalker-victims use their last few seconds alive to comfort and find joy in their "saviours"

Luke understands Anakin, Anakin misunderstands Shmi

[image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw16.jpg]

Already discussed that one

[image=http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw13.jpg]

They just look eerily like each other :p

They're found on this site, accompanied by a GREAT essay (not mine)

13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    >>They're found on this site, accompanied by a GREAT essay (not mine)

What site? I don't see a link.

14. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    What site? I don't see a link.

:oops:

Forgive me:

http://www.geocities.com/talkingfierce/sw1.html

15. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    That was a great essay. Thank you for the link, Obi_Frans!

16. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003
    Ah, yes. I already have that bad boy bookmarked. I forgot it had all those screencaps.

Should be mandatory reading for all PT bashers.

17. JediChick07

Oct 3, 2004
    Obi-Franz! The "I am a Jedi" one was indeed genius!

As was the overlooking the Naboo Lake/Looking out into space.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I enjoyed the Anakin Naboo Lake/Vader Star Destroyer parallel pic. It was nice seeing both of those together.

19. Darth_Pott

Darth_Pott Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2004
    You know, I think mine is the father/son theme. I really think that's the one that drives the series.

Luke and Anakin on similar journeys to manhood, but their choices lead them to very different places. Yet, both of them end up in the same place at the end. It is truly the return of the Jedi, both in the literal sense with Luke and in a personal sense with Anakin's redemption.

The absent father theme: Anakin, as far as we know, doesn't have a father. The one man in his life who should fill that role, Obi-Wan, doesn't exactly do a great job. Anakin finds fatherly support, he thinks (how sad that he's so decieved!), from Palpatine, the one man he should be avoiding at all costs. Also, Luke grows up without a father, and loses every single father-figure from Owen to Ben to Yoda. Han walks out on him in ANH, gets frozen in ESB, and by ROTJ Luke doesn't need him in this role any longer.

My all-time favorite father/son parallel: the final furious battle between Luke and Vader (after Vader pushes Luke over the edge with his threat to turn Leia to the dark side). I think the music is really what makes this scene. I'm hoping there will be similar visual and musical genius and emotional intensity displayed during the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Andrew

20. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Speaking of father-son, I sort of liked the unnoticed elevator parallel.

At the beginning of AOTC, we've got Anakin and Obi-Wan (son and father-like figure) riding up the elevator on their way to see Padme, just acting as friendly master and apprentice.

In ROTJ, there's Vader and Luke riding up to Palpatine's death chamber, after sharing a heavy hearted conversation about the power of the dark side.

Pretty neat sequence IMO... It shows how full circle everything has come in those few decades.

21. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    The parallel pictures are nice...

...but they are only one-hundreth of what the essay itself was. Oh my god, that ranks right up there with D. Trull's prequel essays in terms of INTELLIGENCE and INSIGHTFULNESS. Should be mandatory reading by law.

22. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    In the Trailer to Episode 3, Palpatine tells Anakin aka Vader to rise.

In Episode 6, Palpatine attends the Death Star and upon encountering Vader on his knees, tells his 'friend' to rise...

Little ones like that are damn cool in retrospect.

I think my fave parallel to date through would have to be where Dooku asks Obi-Wan to join him in the task of destroying the Sith in Episode 2.

Very much like Vader's offer to Luke in Episode 5, again, a dark Lord, tricked by evil, beliving they can still destroy evil from within, while summarily bringing order to a chaotic galaxy.

Dooku isn't exactly a hero in my book, but I still sympathize with him, he's very much like Vader in this sense.

23. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm not sure it's exactly my favorite, but I like to look at the paralells between the equivalent movies in each trilogy.

1/4: There is a young, dreamer but work-burdened boy, without a father. He meets a Jedi. He leaves Tatooine, becoming a hero by blowing up the space station. An important mentor is lost.

2/5: Same boy with a new mentor (whom he has a shaky relationship with), begins to assert himself strongly as a man. He overestimates his understanding of the force. His friends, though strong, through machinations and no fault of their own, are in trouble. This half-proven and trained boy must rescue them, and then they him, but in the process a fateful lightsaber battle takes place. And at some point during this episode, a terrible secret about what has happened to the boy's parent is made known to him-- and it changes his life.

I won't speculate on 3/6 paralells yet.

24. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    1. "I can't take Dooku alone! I need you!"

"I need your help, Luke. She needs your help."

2. "Brave of you, boy. But I thought you would have learned your lesson."

"Impressive. Most impressive."

3. "Stay with me, mom."

"Master Yoda, you can't die."

25. MatthewZ