main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's Your Favorite Parallel So Far.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediChick07, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    One of my favorite parallels is the right hand of the Skywalkers: Each lost it to a Sith, each took the others, and it was only after Luke took off Vader's, did they both realize how close he was following in his father's trail.

2. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    The truly great parallels for me are only the ones that are the identifiable themes of SW: parents and children, selfish characters towards or away from compassion, dual identities, leaving home and entering the bigger world, that sort of stuff.

The "ehh" type of parallels are the sorts of things that make relative sense but feel like treading water: cutting off so many arms (which one can understand happening a lot around laser swords, but it still feels repetitive and unneeded sometimes), Anakin flying with Artoo (again, makes some sense, but it's a little obvious), reused dialogue, etc., etc.

Much less forgiveable for me are the parallels which strike me as needless replays of past crowd-pleasers: the Death Star twice, blowing up the reactor three times, asteroids chase twice, powering down and hiding on something twice, and so on.

3. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    No specific parallel comes to mind as my favorite, but I do like the fact that Luke's journey mirrors not only Anakin's (many of which have been listed on this thread) but Obi-Wan's as well (both cried "NOOOOO" when their mentor was struck down by a Sith; both will presumably tell Anakin to "come with me," etc.)

4. Darth_Takedown

Darth_Takedown Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    My favorite parallel so far is Obi-Wan's use of the Jedi mind trick. The first time was in Mos Eisley with the stormtroopers in Ep4, then in the nightclub in Ep2 with the guy wanting to sell him death sticks.

I also like the parallel with the piloting trick. Han docked the Falcon on the Star Destroyer to hide from the Empire and then we saw Obi-Wan use that trick outside of Geonosis to hide from Jango Fett.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love many of the parallels mentioned so far, but some of my favourite are the overlooked ones, mostly having to do with Obi-Wan (and if there's one person who's going to bring up Obi-Wan's saga significance in every thread possible, it's me, dangit! :p)

But seriously, I think it's easy to forget that, yes, SW is the story of the Skywalker family and that, yes, Obi-Wan Kenobi is a part of the Skywalker family. There are especially some nice parallels between TPM Obi-Wan and AotC Anakin. It's interesting because they're not all that different in some aspects, they just end up handling things differently.

Qui-Gon is killed and Obi-Wan gets severely pissed. But he ends up beating Maul by letting go of his anger. He ends up crying about it.

Shmi is killed and Anakin gets severely pissed. He gives into his anger completely, but ends up crying about it.

This one in particular has always interested me because Anakin just assumes that Obi-Wan could never understand him. They might both like the think they are more different than they really are. Men are stubborn like that.

This one also has connection to Luke and his violent reaction when Vader threatens Leia in RotJ. But he relinquishes the Dark Side as well, and has the ultimate victory even though Anakin is killed.

Overall, the theme of being orphaned is a really big one in Star Wars....

This is one example, I don't have time for more right now because I'm hungry :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    My favorite parallel is Anakin & Padme together with the droids at the end of AOTC and Luke & Leia together with the droids at the end of TESB.

7. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Anakin experiences visions of his mother being tortured to death and tries to save her but doesn't get there in time. His mother's last act is to reach out to her son with love, but he just blames himself for not being strong enough. This "failure" costs the Tusken Raider villagers their lives.

Years later, his son has been tortured to the point of death and the final blow is about to be given. It is then that Anakin must find true strength within himself- strength enough to throw off the yoke of the Dark Side and the Emperor's influence. Luke reaches out for his father, who is finally able to respond with love. And this time Anakin is able to save the one he loves, though at the expense of his own life.

That, I think, is my favorite parallel.

8. Darth_Keldor

Darth_Keldor Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2004
    One of my favorite parallels is the introduction of Palpatine. In TPM, the first see of Palpatine is a hologram and in ESB, again the first we see him is a hologram pure genius!

9. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    One of my favs. would be in TPM wherein Padme is cleaning R2 then Jar Jar tells a short story how he got there.

While in ANH its Luke cleaning R2 and C3PO tells a short story how he and R2 got there.

Interesting, no? :cool:

10. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    >>One of my favorite parallels is the introduction of Palpatine. In TPM, the first see of Palpatine is a hologram and in ESB, again the first we see him is a hologram pure genius!

First time we see that dastardly Darth Sidious is also a hologram.

11. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    I like the parallels between Qui-Gon's funeral and Anakin's.

Qui-Gon: Surrounded by friends and those he saved. The memory of him will be cherished by all.

Anakin: Only his son realized that Anakin Skywalker saved the universe. Everyone else will see him as the Evil Darth Vader.

12. Emperor_Gunray

Emperor_Gunray Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    One I thought of the other day-

In TPM Queen Amidala tells Nute Gunray he has gone too far when he blockades Naboo. In ANH Princess Leia is outraged that Darth Vader has attacked her the Tantive IV, both Amidala and Leia are sure the senate will not stand for such behaviour from Gunray/Vader.

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003

"Then where are the ambassadors?" - Vader
    "We don't know of any ambassadors, you must be mistaken" - Gunray

"If word gets out, it could ...sympathy in the senate" - What's his name that Imperial officer who tells Vader about holding Leia.

?I believe our situation will create a.sympathy vote?? ? Palpatine about the TF holding Naboo.

Well these are maybe inverse parallels so to speak.

14. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    Well this isn't my favorite parallel but we can't forget the two ceremonies at the end of EPI and EPIV, on Naboo and Yavin 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.