main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE STARFIGHTER!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by sith_lord_maul, Oct 14, 2001.

?

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE STARFIGHTER!

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. a-wing

7.8%
  2. y-wing

3.4%
  3. b-wing

3.4%
  4. x-wing

47.4%
  5. v-wing

0.9%
  6. n-1

5.2%
  7. droid fighter

2.6%
  8. other

29.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    TIE fighter!

2. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    A-wings, I feel the need for speed baby!

3. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    No other starfighter in the entire GFFA can take on the Buick!! from Rogue Squadron. ;) I like Xixor's Virago

4. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    The N-1!they're fast, AND they're yellow.

5. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    B-wing all thwe way.

6. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    X-Wing FOREVER!!!!

In Rogue-Leader,there's a bonus level called Endurance that makes you go against 99 waves of TIE fighers in a X-Wing!And I beat it ;)

7. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Most fighters avoid obstacles. A B-wing goes through them. I usually kill TIEs by ramming as often as I do by guns. And it's fast enough that a good pilot can take out more agile ships with a little skill and patience. Plus it just looks darned cool :D

8. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    I've got a simliar poll over in Games. I voted 'other' as I'd have to vote TIE Interceptor. Agile and quick enough to leave any non-force-assisted rebel pilot wondering where that TIE they were shooting at disappeared, and why there's a red dot on their rear radar...oh ****.

"The Naboo N-1 Royal Starfighter. It looks cool, although it probably would get lashed in a fight with an X-Wing.
    Where's the Sith Infiltrator? That was in SW: Starfighter, and it is a Starfighter! That's even better than the N-1!
    "

Of COURSE the N1 would get lashed by an X-Wing. It's like putting a Spitfire against an F-16!

"In Rogue-Leader,there's a bonus level called Endurance that makes you go against 99 waves of TIE fighers in a X-Wing!And I beat it"

That's ROGUE SQUADRON's TIEs. There are some SERIOUS AI issues in that game. Against a human TIE pilot, things would be more even. 99 waves of TIES? That game CLEARLY sucks in balance terms. 3 Standard TIEs are about an even match for an X-Wing in all the other games.

"Most fighters avoid obstacles. A B-wing goes through them. I usually kill TIEs by ramming as often as I do by guns." The AI is a little kooky. a human TIE pilot (or even a droid TIE pilot) would not allow you to:
    a) Go head on. TIEs lose in head on.
    b) Ram him. TIEs lose in ramming.

9. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Ok, I exaggerated a little on the percentage of TIEs I kill that way (even though the Empire loses TIE pilots so fast you might expect a nugget on his first mission to do that occaisionally - heck, they're dumb enough to fly laser-armed foil cans). Plus there is one X-wing mission (TOD 5 Mission 4) where one of your mission objectives is to kill six parked TIE Fighters. Best way to do it is to just plow through one row of three, come back, and do the second row like you don't have a care in the world.

A friend of mine plowed his X-wing into a parked B-wing just for fun on X-wing. The thing was still sitting there as his disintegrated components flew onward.

10. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    Yes, that B-Wing is rather robust. I don't fly it much myself, it's too easy to use. I prefer a challenge.

If I am flying rebel ships, then I tend to use A-Wings or X-Wings. The A-Wing has all the manoeuvrability that I like to have in my starfighters. But the X-Wing has the looks and is pretty adaptable. It can almost keep up and almost manoeuvre as well as as TIEs, and has the robustness to take on many ships at once. Also adaptable enough to switch from space superiority to strike roles. As opposed to the B-Wing, which gets chewed up in dogfights.

11. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    It depends on the dogfight. I hate A-wing missions where you end up facing hordes of enemy fighters because between the dodging and shunting power to shields you can't really concentrate on your objective or get enough juice in your guns to shoot back. A B-wing can just get into a straight slugging match and outlast its opponents - all it has to do is land one or two accurate bursts on the TIE, while the TIE has to contend with this huge thing packing superstrong 200% shields that aren't even dented by its fire. Plus with all the power in those six guns you can pump up your shields and still have something to shoot with, and you can mess with the ELS settings to make it match a TIE Fighter for speed. It's just a matter of exploiting the weaknesses of the enemy's ships with the strengths of your own.

12. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    Good point. I do find ships with less cannons to store energy in less useful. But just to counter for the sake of it:

Good against AI is one thing. Good against the living? That's another.

Against a living pilot, manouevrablity and juking (at exactly the right time) becomes VERY important. Even with B-Wing strength shields and hull.

13. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Point. My friend Sean (who's played flight sims since birth, practically) could probably whoop my butt good and proper if he was flying a TIE and I was flying a B-wing. Against an abyssmally stupid AI, I am nearly invincible. It's really more about the pilot than the machine, although how the pilot exploits the strengths of his ship is a big factor. The TIE has to stay away from the B-wing's guns and keep on his six to pound him repeatedly; the B-wing has to use its shields to survive repeated hits and try to get in snapshots at the TIE. The problem for the B-wing is his lack of manuverability; the problem for the TIE is one mistake and he's dead.

14. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    Got that right.

Anyone else miss the old days when all you needed was an analogue stick and a 486 to dogfight? I still play X-Wing and TIE Fighter occasionally. It's amazing how the engine of the game has barely changed from X-Wing (1992! Remember how exciting it was for people with soundblasters who got the SPEECH PACK for the game?) until XWA. I really miss the [Enter] key (match speeds with currently targeted craft) whenever I play XW now though. Keep pressing it as a reflex, then crashing into a ship because it didn't work..

15. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
  16. Shadow1

Shadow1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    The E-wing is the latest and most advanced of them all BUT THEY STILL HAVNT INCLUDED IT IN ANY OF THE X-WING FAMILY OF GAMES.

scuse me i got a little upset, sorry.

E-wig E-wing E-wing Ewing

17. Shadow1

Shadow1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    If we're talking about game star fighters then im sorry but id have to go with the Tie Defender. Im pro alliance but there is no denying the all round superiority of this fighter

18. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Ah, if only they came out with a post-ROTJ X-wing game where you could fly the E-wing. Give it ion cannons and I might take it over a B-wing.

19. METZ

METZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2001
    my fav i my starfigter... its park out back... wanna see??

20. Shadow1

Shadow1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    I did not understand a word of that last post

21. wishnud

wishnud Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    x-wing i my favorite starfigther!

22. rayparkbest

rayparkbest Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    My all time favorite Starfighter is X-Wing.

Can easily be destroyed by Tie Fighter... [face_devil]

23. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    A-wing is my fave. I only lead a squadron of 'em. :)

24. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    If you are talking games: the cloaking TIE Fighter from Rebal Assault II...or Kyle Katarn's Moldy Crow.

If you are talking books, a tie(no pun intended) between Thrawns Scimitar Bombers and the Chiss Clawcraft (which sound awesome).

Movies...I'll have to go with...hmm...the B-Wing. It was cool. :)

25. JediLeiaOrgana

JediLeiaOrgana Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    X-wing all the way baby!!

~*~JediLeia~*~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.