main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What's your favorite trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Chancellor Yoda, May 2, 2015.

?

What's your favorite trilogy?

1. Classic Trilogy

44 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Both

28 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Both these trilogies have there fair share of fans. So which is your favorite? Despite liking the prequels I would have to say overall the Classic trilogy. I just personally think there better made movies, as ROTS is the only PT film that I would consider actually good despite like the other two.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like TPM and AOTC, but I definitely prefer the original trilogy.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  3. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I like the Original trilogy better. I do like the Prequel trilogy a lot, too, but the Classic trilogy is just so...classic.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    As much as I defend the prequels, the OT is what I fell in love with, and it works better as a trilogy.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  5. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It appears I've been here for so long that I'm capable of just linking to previous "incarnations" of new topics. Here we go: May 9, 2014

Time travel ]-}

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer the Original trilogy but do like the PT. Luke, Han, Leia, the Rebellion and Empire, etc all just click with me more than the PT does.
    The story of a Boy, a Girl and a Galaxy.
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."

7. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    There are some two Star Wars trilogies? I was under the impression that those six films create a single whole not supposed to be divided into two halfs.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Technically 3. Anyway, there probably are enough differences between the 2 we have now, that some people could pick one or the other. Characters, organizations, the war of the day, the tech etc.

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Both of them are.

CoolyFett likes this.
  10. Celidore

Celidore Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2015
    My favourite episode is ROTS and I like TPM too, so I voted for prequel trilogy. But I love the entire saga :)

CoolyFett, Darkslayer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I like both, but I said PT.

CoolyFett, Darkslayer and EternalHero like this.
  12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Can't/won't choose one. It's together that the two form something truly unique.

CoolyFett and Cryogenic like this.
  13. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I like the OT better. I was introduced to it first (although by the time I started watching SW, all six films were out), and just instantly loved it. The prequel trilogy has taken me longer to get used to, but now I enjoy all six films as a whole.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  14. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Both are creative in originality and are fun to watch. I appreciate the PT but I also recognize that the OT are some of the best films ever made. I pick OT.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well, here goes this question again, here's my answer:
    I do find enjoyment in the prequels, but the OT is my favorite film trilogy of all time.

16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I voted OT (more realistic characters as opposed to symbolic characters in the PT, and more stylistic) but just wanted to say the reworking of the narrative by having a six-episode arc goes really underappreciated. The PT is really ambitious and I regret that a lot of the complexity of the films is wasted on a casual viewer.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

LOL. Slight typo there, Samnz. You must have meant to put March 9, 2014.

So you answered this question just over one year ago. As did I in the same thread.

And the year before in this other thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/ot-or-pt.50012439/

As I tactically managed to say both times before, and will say again, I esteem and admire the entire "six-episode arc", as HevyDevy just put it, with a fairly strong desire to not put one trilogy over the other.

However, it's also true to say that I tend to have far greater interest in the PT as a contained work of art -- if we're talking trilogies -- and do regard it as the more complex and sophisticated of the two.

I guess, if you want a simplistic analogy, the OT is sort of like rock 'n' roll, while the PT is more like jazz or prog-rock. There was a sizeable evolution in Lucas' mind between the two works, in my opinion.

In fact, it's like Lucas became a Tibetan monk between finishing the OT and starting the PT. Perhaps it is more widely known as parenting.

No, but seriously, if I were to do a crude breakdown of the movies in production order:

ANH = Believe in yourself!

TESB = Beware yourself

ROTJ = Change yourself

TPM = Be mindful of yourself

AOTC = Don't lie to yourself

ROTS = Avoid lava planets

Seriously, though, I think it's genuinely a little tougher to break down the PT in such a simplistic, reductive way. Which you may read as either a good or a bad thing.

I generally view it as a good thing. I think the PT, overall, eludes easy classification; a little bit more than the OT, anyway. It's clearly depicting a tragedy, but it's also rather baroque and fanciful in how it goes about it.

I like to cite certain visual and design elements that underscore the PT's eccentricity and denser sense of stylization:

- Amidala's many dresses in TPM and the fact that she maintains a very definite "split" identity
    - The constant, heightened emphasis on symbiosis and duality in TPM
    - The more muted acting styles of the human leads in the PT movies; beginning quite noticeably in TPM
    - The clash of philosophical values between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan at the start of TPM
    - Amidala's third-eye gemstone as she psyches out the ruby-eyed Nute Gunray and his associate Rune Haako in her first scene in the PT
    - Jar Jar, his bond with Padme, the role he plays in uniting the Gungans and the Naboo, the emergency powers scene, and the way he gradually (or rather rapidly) fades out of the PT storyline
    - The fact that Anakin is very young in TPM and played by a different actor in the next two films; with a very significant chronological jump
    - Qui-Gon making it almost to the very end of TPM, but suddenly dying and saddling Obi-Wan with a life debt (quite different to Obi-Wan's purposeful ascent before the last act of ANH)
    - The almost pompous grandeur of TPM and its peculiar sense of exhibitionism
    - The galaxy shifting from peace to war (while just being constantly in a war state in the OT)
    - The whole look, feel, design, and plot trajectory of AOTC; not to mention its bevy of planets (five versus the usual three) and locations
    - The noir motif of AOTC in particular (brings a seedy, gloomy, uncertain quality to everything)
    - Dex's Diner (eat that, cantina!)
    - The Kaminoans and their extreme facility generally
    - A non-recurring main villain (Maul, Dooku, Grievous)
    - Following establishment figures who pair off with each other and share adventures (i.e., the Jedi and their whole master-padawan system of pedagogy)
    - Battle droids leading into clone troopers (versus blundering storm troopers for the whole of the OT)
    - No Han or Millennium Falcon (I recently had a post on this: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...pe-machine-experience.50029546/#post-52337336 )
    - A pronounced and very deliberate sense of transition (e.g., the shifting look of the ships, Threepio's differing look in each film, etc.)
    - Digital effects and digital cinematography; likened by Lucas to shifting from frescoes to oil painting
    - The more affected, montage-driven style of film-making (quite notable in ROTS: e.g., Padme's ruminations, Order 66)
    - The Machiavellian plotting undertaken by the villains (versus the "high castle" attitude of the Empire's leading bad guys in the OT)
    - Good guys being somewhat aware of the negative consequences of performing certain actions; and then performing those actions anyway
    - The whole tragic angle and how an ostensibly "heroic" character turns into an iconic villain; the heroine also isn't saved in the end and dies
    - The more difficult themes and how the PT has elicited so much controversy generally

18. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I was kind of sleepy last night or my laptop was doing its own thing, but my vote should have been for the PT instead of OT. I became SW fan because of them.

=D= Always a pleasure to read your thoughts Samz and you Cryo!!

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    both of course with tcw, rebels and a new trilogy waiting to be my fav as well.

20. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Gonna have to go with both. I have too much love for ROTS and ESB to pick one over the other.

21. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    No contest. As a trilogy the PT.

22. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    That you Doc Brown? Using your time machine I see. :p I sure hope the ST will be a great trilogy.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    As much as I do enjoy the PT, it really doesn't come close to topping the OT for me....nor do any other movies.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I believe I've been here long enough for most to know my answer

SW is just SW to me. I don't see it as different trilogies; it's all just one big work to me