main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your favourite instrument?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by halibut, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    For years, I had a soft spot for the French Horn. It's versatility isn't really matched by any other instrument, with the possible exception of "strings" as a whole, or maybe the Piano. But the French Horn can express so many emotions.

But the oboe also really stands out for me. It as a pure sound, so different from any other instrument. And as a lover of baroque music, it's no surprise that I'm drawn to the oboe. (*listens to Across the Stars*)

However, that said, lately I've started to fall in love with the trombone. It has a massive range, and it's generally an unsung hero. There are very few trombone solos (in comparison with other instruments), yet it provides so much depth to an orchestration. One only needs to listen to the first few bars of the Raiders March to see. No other instrument would work playing those staccato notes at the beginning.

I'm currently re-writing an Indiana Jones FanFilm score I composed, and intend to use the trombone much more than I did in the original.

So what instruments do you love to hear?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Cello. Just a lovely sound.

And harpsichord.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The cello's never really done anything for me. Generally I'm not a fan of solo strings. Has to be at least a string quartet. But I do love a Harpsichord, especially as a basso continuo. Damn, I love baroque music :p

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I'm crazy for the harpsichord, a few years ago I was able to see a program with a harpsichord trio. [face_love]

I've also got a soft spot for bassoon.:p

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    OK, seriously, I've got my iTunes Master playlist (5628 tracks) on random now and guess which one just came on as I started reading this thread? Yes, "Across The Stars". :eek:

Tough choice on a favorite instrument. Perhaps this one:

[image=http://www.geocities.com/joelcrowservo/gal17.jpg]

Höfner 500/1 Violin Bass

Favorite orchestral instrument? Man, I'd have a hard time picking one out just on the Star Wars soundtrack - the oboes in the Tatooine score, the French Horn in "The Moisture Farm" (now my most-played SW track on iTunes) and "Binary Sunset", the flute in "Princess Leia's Theme", the trumpets in "Throne Room/End Title"...

BTW, did you know that JW originally scored "Binary Sunset" using Luke's Theme, but GL asked him to try it with Ben's Theme (Force Theme) instead? Good call George!

6. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I used to play the bass clarinet. I still love to hear it being used for something other than with the low brass. When you get someone who can play it right (unlike the girl who was second chair my senior year..), it has such a deep, rich sound.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    French horn and violin, with piano coming up behind it. Some of my favorite instruments.

8. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    oboe, and yet I play violin.

9. DanyKenobi340

DanyKenobi340 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2009
    GeeWIZZ , now I feel like a rebel when I say ....I like electric guitars..I have a black gibson epephone.

Also...my favorite SW song is "Duel of the Fates" ...I hate to say I turn into a softy when I listen
    to "Across the Stars"..:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.