main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whats your favourite piece of OT DIALOGUE and WHY?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jon_Bon_Kenobi, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Inspired by Obi Wanmeister in another thread, i thought id start a thread to do two things:

1. List your favourite piece of OT DIALOGUE or a particular LINE

and

2. Tell us WHY it is your favourite?

Ill start like this:

ANH: "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    The reason I love this line in ANH is that Vader has Motti exactly where he wants him and knows he could kill him with no effort at all. He is demonstrating how powerful he is to the Moffs gathered at the table and he is almost mocking Admiral Motti! Also I love the 'faith' part. Motti has just dismissed the force and Vader is showing him exactly what the force can do. Also he is effortlessly showing what will happen should you talk to him as Motti did!

ROTJ: Luke "Your overconfidence is your weakness"
    Sidious "Your faith in your friends is yours"

What i love most about this is the way as Luke says it Vader looks at him almost startled that he has backchatted the Emperor! And the way Sidious has an answer straight back at Luke is fantastic. The very sneering way he says it, and it gives away that the Emperor see's Luke as weak for having feelings for friends. Its also like Sidious is being childish. "My cars better than yours" attitude if you will!

Now i leave it open for everyone else! Favourite line or Dialogue and why?

2. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    ESB - Vader: "Bring my shuttle"

I was very upset that they changed this line in the SE's. I felt it always showed how absolutely pissed off Vader was when Luke got away. For me, ESB was the high-point of Vader's evilness (he felt ... "soft" in ROTJ), and this one line really showed that to me.

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Jon_Bon_Kenobi stole my favorite line already! :mad: ARRRRGGHHH! Let me think of another one......hmmmmmmm........

"Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Because it's just an awesome line. When I first saw ANH it totally confused me until the end. It made the powers of the force intrigue me as a kid. The line just made more sense as the trilogy continued.

4. Jon_Bon_Kenobi

Jon_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Sorry Obi Ben!! Hehe! :)

3263827 i agree, i love that line also. It was the way he was walking too that added to it, and i thought the 'alert my Star destroyer...' cr*p was so contrived and badly written just so they could put the Shuttle on the landing bay!?!

Heres another:
    ROTJ: Yoda "Told you did he?"
    When Luke is with him. Its the way Yoda (or Frank Oz and the people working him etc!) delivers this line. I love the little look over his shoulder that he gives to Luke. Its a great line by Yoda. He wasnt expecting Vader to tell Luke and it was delivered in a kind of 'well, typical of Vader to do something like that'. Its a great line.

5. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Aside from the quote in my sig, it would have to be the entire conversation between Luke and Ben on Dagobah as that is what really connects the OT and PT. Before TPM I would watch that part of ROTJ over and over.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    ESB - Who's scruffy looking
    Or rather the whole exchange between Han and Leia. The lines are funny, Ford and Fisher are at their best, and it's a classic hate/love-dialogue. I love Han's cocky attitude in the scene and how he gets Leia so upset. :D

7. Herr_Dokter

Herr_Dokter Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2003
    Easily the nest line of ROTJ, if not the Trilogy is

So be it, Jedi

It is another of those lines that McDiarmid delivers with such Venom.
    It sums up evrything about what the relationship between him and Luke is.
    It betrays his utter hatred for the Jedi.

He has accepted that he has lost... (that's scary)... we don't know how he's going to react!!(we've seen Vader only tetchy.)

The scene cuts right there.
    A turning point in the film, an awesome end to an awesome scene.

And it's quotable!

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "Luke, your going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"

Alec says it great
    and it is so true about the world we live in as well as GFFA.

-Seldon

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

It's the culmination of the Saga. Luke has succeeded where his father could not, but he acknowledges that his father has succeeded in another way nonetheless; his inspiration has allowed Luke to become what he has. This isn't quite the end of Anakin's story, but it is pretty much the end of Luke's story; he started in ANH with "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father", and now he has succeeded in that goal. The only challenge left for him is Palpatine, who is defeated not directly by him, but by Anakin, brought back to the light probably a good part by these words, which remind him what he once was. And finally, he is truly a Jedi now; like Yoda said, it is only after confronting Vader that he becomes one. This moment is the "Return of the Jedi".

10. Jedi_Riggs

Jedi_Riggs Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2002
    Hydronium, that's my favourite too, for all the reasons you mentioned. Excellent taste! :)

11. Jedi_Fighter_Piolet

Jedi_Fighter_Piolet Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2004
    YODA: Your father, powerful Jedi was he, he-he, powerful Jedi.

I love that line, it shows how Yoda is almost teasing Luke to the boiling point to test his paticents. It also shows that he is not serious all of the time, even though he is for the rest of the movie.

12. NightHawkX3

NightHawkX3 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2004
    Vader:Luke I am your Father
    I liked that line because it seemed so "scary" how Anakin and Lukes Father and he tried to kill him It brought all this "confusion" and "scarieness" With Confusion i mean like Anakin is my father who is my mother and Does that mean i have more family

13. SomeNewGuy

SomeNewGuy Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2002
    ESB HAN to C3PO

Not entirely stable? Well I'm glad you're here to tell us these things!! Chewie take the professor to the back and plug him into the hyperdrive!!

It shows just how big of a smartass Han can be and still be as serious when he wants to be.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Strangely, I like ^that line much better in German. That's very rare.
    It's more like "What are you saying? Unstable? You always come up with such thriller stories". Doesn't really work when I translate it, but somehow I thought somebody might like to know :p

15. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    Lol, thriller stories.

I like all of yoda's lines in the OT.

16. Wolf3118

Wolf3118 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2003
    LEIA: Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?

I took it the wrong way...

17. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    NightHawk:

If that's your favorite line, why misquote it???

The line is, "No, I am your father."

Sorry: just a pet peeve of mine! :)

(It's actually the most misquoted line in cinema history.)

My favorite: it's in my sig. and was stated earlier.

"So be it...Jedi."

*shutters*

18. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    There are two exchanges with Han in ROTJ that always crack me up.

HAN: Wait, I can't see, pal. What's going on?

Chewie barks an excited blue streak.

HAN: Luke? Luke's crazy. He can't even take care of himself, much less rescue anybody.

Chewie barks a reply.

HAN: A-a Jedi Knight? I'm out of it for a little while, everybody gets delusions of grandeur.

And . . .

HAN: I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur.

LUKE: There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know.

HAN: You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient.

LUKE: Just stick close to Chewie and Lando. I've taken care of everything.

HAN: Oh . . . great!

[face_laugh]

L8r

19. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    "What is thy bidding, my master..." The first time we realize that Vader isn't the top of the food chain. Sure, Tarkin had him on a leash, but we've never really seen him prostrating before someone before, especially a hologram. This Emperor guy must really be something! Vader sounds so humbled, scared, and angry at the same time. The sheer size of his hologram room shows the importance of the relationship between Sith master and apprentice. BTW, does anyone have a diagram of his Star Destroyer, showing where that room is located, and the size of it. Do they show it in the "cut-away" Star Wars books?

20. skywalkerchic

skywalkerchic Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    Yoda~ "luminous being we are not this crude matter"

yoda just seems so wise and luke is disappionted in him self for not being able to concentrate! yoda and the daygobah scenes are my favorite..i love the training scenes!!

Emperor~ "sooo be it ...jedi"

Still gives me chills when he says it..I was just waiting for luke to WAYLAY his butt DOWN!! HIGHYAH!!!

Leia~ "I love you"
    Han~ "I KNOW!"

Love that scene...especially love that fact that it was improv!! Emotions seem real in that scene.

Luke~ "oh come on...what kinda talk it is that"

I still laugh when I hear luke say that to C3Po...He sounds sooo feminene!!!

Luke~ "i wanna join the rebellion and become a jedi like my father !"

for obvious reasons this line kicks butt!! LOVE LUKE ....HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    MAN, It's tough to pick just a couple favorites...BUT here I go:

In ANH - The whole part in Obi-Wan's home on tattooine, where he's describing his relationship with Anakin to Luke, and explaining to him for the first time what the Force is, and the history of the Jedi.

Why? Because I think it was done very well, with the proper amount of emotion, and it (especially now) makes me think back to the history of this saga, before the clone wars...It's an emotional way to tie the story together.

Also in ANH - Just this one line spoken by Darth Vader:
    "Do not be too proud of this technnological terror you've constructed. the ability to destroy a planet, is insignificant, next to the power of the Force."

Why? Well, aside from the fact that it just SOUNDS good when he says it, and that it was a very effective choice of word usage, It also demonstrates the Force's power: Here are all the Moffs and officials gloating about their newfound ultimate power-The Death Star...And Darth Vader-the last of an order of powerful Jedi/Sith, puts them all back in their place, reminding them that no machine is any match for the Force...Powerful stuff.

In ESB - Yoda's explanation (on Dagobah) to Luke of the way of the Force, "...Size matters not, look at me! Judge me by my SIZE, do you?...even between the land, and the ship..."

Why? that whole section of dialogue was very touching, with the WAY Yoda said it, the background sounds, and the music...Everything was so atmospheric-and emphasized properly-the reverence, the strength, and the importance of the Force - It is the full and true explanation of the "ways of the Force," told by the most powerful Jedi ever. A memorable dialogue in the whole saga, IMO... It could not have been done better...

22. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Another great moment is when Luke asks, "You fought in the Clone Wars?" and Ben replies "Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father". The way he says it, there's so much history behind it, and we're finally getting to see it!

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    ROTJ: "You were right, you were right about me. Tell your sister you were right."

brings tears to my eyes every time *sniff* :_|

my favourite scene in the whole saga, anakin's death. we all hated him in the trilogy or loved to hate him but when he died i was bawling my eyes out.
    and to admit your faults is one of the major steps in becomung a hero in the tragic sense

it is also one of my first SW memories

24. Palpatine-Beardless

Palpatine-Beardless Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2003
    "Impressive most impressive"

"You do not understand the power of the dark side"

"together we can rule the universe as father and son"

"i see you have constructed a new lightsaber indeed you our powerful as the emporer has forseen"

"it is to late for me my son"

"Luke take off my mask so i can look upon you, with my own eyes"

"to old to begin the training"

"for 900 hundred years, have i trained jedi"

"ready what know you of ready"

"luke when gone am i the last of the jedi will you be"

25. Devil_Dodo

Devil_Dodo Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    Han: Don't get excited.
    Leia: Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited.
    Han: Sorry, sweetheart... We haven't got time for anything else.

I love that line, very well written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.