main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your problem with feminists?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by womberty, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, but there's always the chance someday down the road you might want another child. If you couldn't afford any more at the time - maybe later you get a better job and can afford to have another, which you always wanted? And what about people who are just married, not ready, or financially stable enough, for kids yet? I think birth control is a great thing. By the way, my mom knew someone years ago, when I was a kid, a woman, who had the procedure done to become sterile 2 or 3 times, and got pregnant after each one, so obviously it can be done wrong.

Oh, and I am pro-choice, you probably noticed in the abortion thread. I think abortion is the worst choice - birth control, adoption, or keeping the baby are much better - but I still support that choice, it would be hypocritcal of me not to when I don't see a fetus as a full human life at conception

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    For those who decide later that they want more kids, why not adopt?

And it's pretty dang hard to get pregnant if you don't have a uterus. [face_plain]

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    She didn't have her uterus removed. Something else was done. Is there another medical procedure?

And adoption is more expensive than having your own kid. There are costs for the arrangements, etc.

Why are you so against birth control, anyway?

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm not that against birth control, I just don't see why so many people (especially the feminists) are so unwilling to say "I chose a promiscuis lifestyle, I will deal with the consequences" without having to revert to that.

-sj loves kevin spacey

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Huh? The way your statement is worded confuses me. I'm not sure exactly what you are saying, could you rephrase it?

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Birth control can be a way of living an irresponsible lifestyle and not having to pay the price for it. I think that's what she means.

7. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Birth Cotrol is quite necessary. People will have sex even if they don't want to get pregnant. Why? Because humans have sex for the pleasure of it in addition to reproduction. So when they don't want to reproduce but want the pleasure of it they use birth control. There's just nothing wrong with birth control I'm fiding it difficult to come up with something to say. If your profile is the truth you're a 15 year old female and so why you may not have used it as of yet (I hope you haven't had to) I'd give it a 99% chance that you, yourself will use birth control at some point of your life.

8. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I'll have to disagree then, since in my opinion, using birth control is showing responsibility.

And I'm waiting til marriage to have sex, for emotional reasons I guess, but when married I definitley plan to use birth control.

9. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    "Birth control can be a way of living an irresponsible lifestyle and not having to pay the price for it. I think that's what she means."

Birth control is the responsible thing if you plan on having sex and are not ready for a child.

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Exactly, as I said above.

11. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Birth control can be a way of living an irresponsible lifestyle and not having to pay the price for it. I think that's what she means.

Well that's a quite absurd stance because using birth control is part of living an responsible lifestyle. An irresponsible lifestyle would be one in which someone does not use birth control no matter what the consequences are. Not every child is wanted, and the best way to avoid having an unwanted child is to use birth control.

I'm sorry, abstinence just doesn't cut it. It's hunky dory for you if that is your religious belief, but not everyone shares those beliefs and is free to choose the lifestyle they please. Sex is hardly an irresponsible or bad choice.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Hmm... I don't think you quite understood what I said.

I said birth control can be used to live an irrresponsible lifestyle. I didn't say that using it was tantamount to living that way.

13. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I thought KnightWriter was only trying to clarify a statement I didn't understand, not expressing it as his own belief...

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, maybe I haven't been clear on my opinions. I don't really have a big problem with birth control, except that places like planned parenthood are handing it out to 12 year olds and not telling the parents. I just saw something on that on the O'Reilly Factor the other night, and the PP people didn't deny it either! That's no way to demonstrate responsibility.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I was clarifying hers, but at the same time, what I said was misunderstood. It wasn't an if-then statement (i.e. "if you use birth control then you are living irresponsibly").

16. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, I do think the parents need to be notified. Even if the kids stopped getting birth control - well I like to think that parents still have some control over their own kids. After all, if their daughters get an STD or become pregnant, it's the parents who will be bearing the financial burden. They deserve to know, and the deserve the right to try and stop their kids from having sex.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Agreed, Rebeca. And I just don't understand why kids should be having sex. Abstaining is certainly the most effective means for them, imho

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I agree, too, but unfortunatley, a lot of kids just give in to peer pressure or their hormones.

19. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    I know it wasn't your opinion Knight. I was responding to your clarification of solojones' point. Perhaps I misinterpreted it, but I was only taking at face value.

After re-reading solojones' original comment, it sounds as if she is saying that birth control lets promiscuos (irresponsible) people off the hook. I would have to be in total disagreement with that.

[and I know I can't speel :D ]

20. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    Under the age of 16, I would agree that parents should be notified if the child receives birth control. The only reason I give 16 as an age is becuase many high schools now have clinics in them in which kids can receive health care anonymously (I think once they are 16 or roughly a junior, but I'm not 100% sure how it works).

I think these services are necessary because teenagers will do things on their own. Not every family is open minded about sexuality, especially if the teenager comes from a particularly religious background. By informing the parents that the teen was in the health office, the parents could then take away the birth control and the teen could end up pregnant. Also, if a family is abusive, there could also be problems by notifying them. At the age of 16, teens are given the responsibility of driving and in many cases of having a job. I think they are quite capable of making sound reproductive choices if they are given the opportunity. The biggest producer of teenage preganacy is ignorance.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I would say the biggest producer of teenage pregnancy is sex [face_plain]

Sure, kids will make mistakes.. but if they're not going to be responsible, and they want to act and be treated like adults, they should be responsible with their sex lives.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    "but if they're not going to be responsible, and they want to act and be treated like adults, they should be responsible with their sex lives."

Birth control is being responsible with your sex life. What exactly is ityou think adults do with their sex lives? They use birth control.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Teenagers (esp the girls, who are the ones who have the biggest risk) get pressured into having sex which I don't think is a good thing at all.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    But if a girl gets pressured into sex, wouldn't you prefer she use birth control?

Personally, I have no problem with teenagers getting birth control without parental consent. I'd rather see sexually active teenagers using protection than sexually active teenagers NOT using protection.

And in response to disparaging comments about Planned Parenthood, let's remember that they also sponser free health exams to those women who cannot afford it otherwise and that they DO discuss abstinence as a behavioral form of birth control.

On a more personal note, when I was in my early teens, I thought I'd be abstinent until I got married. Well, um, yeah.... I'm glad I knew my options.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What I'd really like to see is getting back to a state of mind where sex among teens, especially really young ones, is actually discouraged by the public. IMHO it's abhorent, and if those kids can't control themselves in that area, who knows if they will ever learn to?

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.