main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH What's your take on the expanded universe

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by padawan_schlicher, Apr 9, 2002.

?

What's your take on the expanded universe

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. I read it all! It is completely cannon! Whatever goes into the EU is official

37.5%
  2. I read a little bit of it...It's official, but if George changes it, that's fine by me

25.0%
  3. I might read some, but it's not cannon by a long shot

25.0%
  4. Never read any of it because it's not cannon

12.5%
  5. Expanded Universe? I thought Star Wars just happened in one galaxy, which happens to far, far away

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
  2. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    with this kind of thought in mind, do you think that the legendary lava duel between obi-wan and anakin will be what ultimately causes anakin to require the suite and armor and breathing aparatus? I think too many people already believe that is what will happen for George to change it now, then again look at Boba Fett!

3. ImperialRecruiter

ImperialRecruiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2002
    You're absolutely right. "...look at Boba Fett."

I think that if it does turn out to be the lava lake, that'd be fine by me. It would also fit with the sequence implied by the books, but as Incom4 mentioned, Lucas only considers the movies canon. That pretty much means that he could change anything and everything he wants, provided it fits his vision of the story.

Another point, West End Games did the original Star Wars RPG. Now, Wizards of the Coast does the RPG. Which one would be "canon"? The older original, or the newer version?

It could easily become a complex scenario considering that both were Lucasfilm licensed.

4. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    I think ultimately George will do whatever he wants, I really kinda hope the lava duel is how it happens, just cause i would like to see it on film, but then again if he comes up with something better, that's great by me too.

on the WEG/WOTC thing, how much difference is there really, do they just have different stats on races and classes or what? I know that out there somewhere is some sort of conversion chart to cross over WEG stuff to WOTC rules...

Is the Holiday Special Cannon? I still haven't seen...but think of what it would mean if it were!

5. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh! No! You mentioned the Holiday Special! Oh! No! I mentioned the Holiday Special!
    Oh! No! I just mentioned the Holiday Special again!

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!! :_|

//Imps bows his head in silent homage to Monty Python.//

But anyway, I think it'd be awesome to see the lava scene, too!

Well, the major difference is that you're no longer using regular 6D. WEG used 6D; WOTC uses different multisided dice. D20's, D10's etc. The other major difference seems to be the difference in miniature size. The WEG miniatures were set on a 25mm (1 in.) scale. The WOTC miniatures are on the D&D scale size of 30mm (1in. plus not quite a quarter in.)

WEG had produced quite a catalog of sourcebooks and scenarios. I've got a lot of these; even duplicates of some. I'm sure that after a few more years, WOTC will have a good size catalog, too.

6. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Holiday Special is just as Cannon as most of the EU..... I personnally strongly dislike most EU stuff.

7. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    EU = Professional Fan Fiction

If it doesn't contradict the movies, then I don't mind it, but the only stuff I "enjoy" reading would be the type of stuff that gets put into the visual dictionaries and stuff like that...don't/haven't/probably won't read any of the novels.

8. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    The novels aren't as bad as all that. There are some that will really suck you in and put you in the mood to finish it at one sitting. But there are some that seem to take forever to get in to.

I read it mostly for the entertainment value. How sick am I? I've even read almost all of the WEG Star Wars RPG books that I've got.

9. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    The only books I really liked were from the Han Solo Trilogy.

10. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    I read tales of the bounty hunters and part of tales from jabas palace, those were interesting, I read them mostly for the Boba Fett stuff...

What about Shadows of the Empire? Canon? Not? I haven't read it but know a little of the story line. I've heard that you can see the outrider in the SE ESB, but i haven't seen it.

What about the Novelizations of the movies? I haven't read those either, but i've heard that some of them are somewhat contradictory, especially now that the ep1 is out, and probably more will be after ep2

11. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I like the novels. pure entertainment and many of my favorite fantasy authors write them which is a bonus.
    I was actually mentioned by name in the acknowledgements section of the novel released in February.

12. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    I don't remember the Outrider being in SE ESB, but it is clearly visible in SE EpIV:ANH. As far as the novels go for the films, you do get a little more brain candy. As far as Contradictoy, I don't think I'd say that. Shadows fits really well in between Empire and Jedi, personal opinion.

Canon for Shadows? If I had my say, I'd say canon, but the amazing Mr. Lucas will still have the final say.

If you liked Tales of the Bounty Hunters, you should definitely read the Bounty Hunter Trilogy. It's well worth the read.

The entertainment value is definitely up there, no matter what your opinion of the EU.

13. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I still haven't finished Bounty Hunter Wars. my opinion is that that is the worst.

14. ImperialRecruiter

Mar 6, 2002
    What was so wrong with the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy? I couldn't wait for the next one.

Of course, I thought the Rogue Squadron books were really good, but heard a lot of people didn't care for them.

15. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I chose "Never read ..." but for a different reason. I've only read two EU books, and neither inspired me to follow up or read further.

And to be honest, I like the epic quality of the movies. To build on it, IMHO, brings the characters and what they represent a little too close to reality.

~H~

16. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    X-Wing books have a cult following and are easily regarded as some of the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.