main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your type of game?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I don't know what Mario has in his pants to make him jump all the time, but I'm curious, what's your preferred type of game to play? Or what type of game would you like to see made more often.

RPG. Racing game. Puzzle games. Gothic horrors. Vehicular simulations. Goofy games like Mario, or quest games like elfhead Links and KOTOR or Metroid search 'n' explore?

2. clonetrooper1

clonetrooper1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2005
    Anything I can kill something in

3. Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2007
    Boggle.

I mean...I used to mostly be into RTSs, Empire Earth and Age of Mythology being my favorites. Flight Sims came next: one day I'll get my TIE Fighter: Empire. Then RPGs--Neverwinter Nights owned my soul. Then did FPSes. Jedi Outcast multiplayer was terrifically fun, especially with the TFN server and our various tests of mods and skins. I've been a big Halo fan, but I've never had Xbox Live, so that isn't as crazy devoted as others tend to be.

At this point, I'm in an RPG/FPS mood most of the time.

4. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I wouldn't really say I have a preferred type. Unless "not terrible" counts as a category. FPSs, platformers and fighting games are quick and easy to get in to, Strategy and RPG are great when you want something a little more in-depth. Sports games are probably what I play the least but even they are fun on occasion. Wii Sports rocks your socks.

5. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    My favourite genre is RPGs easily; turn-based or action, Japanese or Western. :) I also love action-adventure games (Beyond Good & Evil, ICO, Devil May Cry). Basically I like games with interesting characters and well-conceived environments.

I hate, hate, hate MMORPGs and FPSs though. I'm also not keen on most survival horror games, which is a shame because I love games with gothic influences or atmospheres.

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    RPGs first, football (soccer) simulations second, strategy games third, everything else far behind.

7. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Anything that appeals to me. RPGs, adventures, racing games, fighters, beat-em-ups... the only genre of games I 100% will not play is a RTS. I hate those.

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Reasons, Enigma? Is it the real time micromanagement, repetitveness of play?

9. Boba_Fett_2007

Boba_Fett_2007 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2007
    I'll play pretty much anything except most RPGs.

10. DarthApocalypse

DarthApocalypse Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2007
    I'll play anything but I prefer first or third person shooters.

11. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Pretty much anything except racing games(other than Mario Kart and Burnout) and J-RPGs.

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'll go for pretty much anything that isn't a MMORPG, if it's good.

I really really like the mix of FPS and Puzzle in HL2, and I'm also looking forward to a more developed puzzle aspect in Portal.

I also really like RPG's, with an emphasis on the Role Playing part, rather than just leveling up so you can be cooler in battles.

13. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    Well, I've actually never played one. :p But there seems to be a lot of thinking and strategizing involved, two things I don't like doing a lot in a video game (with the exception of the Sims).

14. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Just depends on what I'm in the mood for and what game system(s) I have available at the time. *shrugs*

15. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    RPGs I love the most. Action-RPGs, action adventure, shooter type games are all good. I also like some puzzle games...really Tetris only. As for sport games, only those Blitz like games where I can make own rules up and not play a "straight" football game per se. Racing games are good, but only Burnout like games. I hate racing, but I like to crash my car and watch it blow up :p

And the Sims I play every once in a while.

16. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    AO games

17. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    games with boobies.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Enigma, try Starcraft then, if that's your first. The early missions ease you into the feel, and the gameplay is simplistic compared to more recent games like warcraft 3, which add more complex variables to the game.

19. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    That's a good point. I played World of Warcraft for ~2 years. It was my first MMORPG and also my last. Don't misunderstand it was a great game but I'm such a competitive person that I can't just play those types of games casually. So as a result I ended up sinking more time into the game than I should have. I canceled my account and haven't looked back.

20. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    I consider KOTOR the perfect game for its time.

It accomplished everything I could ever hope for in a video game, and subsequently (as well as unfortunately) raised my expectations for every game I have played after. I knew not that such entertainment existed until after I played KOTOR. Only KOTOR II and Jade Empire have come so close in reaching the same level of quality, though they never did meet it.

Ever since KOTOR, I am still able to enjoy other video games, but not to the extent that I would have or used to. Before KOTOR, Indiana Jones and Goldeneye were my top contenders.

I can only hope that Mass Effect raises the bar, though I doubt it will. I still enjoy most Star Wars game though (Episode III, Jedi Knight series, Starfighter, Episode I, etc.).

_Max

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My preferred genres are platformers (Mario, Prince of Persia, etc), arcade flight shooters (Rogue Squadron, Starfighter, Starfox, etc) and action adventure RPGs (Legend of Zelda, Illusion of Gaia, etc). I have a soft spot for RTS as well, but I'm generally not particularly good at them, yet I do tend to get addicted to them.

In the era of GoldenEye (definitely "my game" so far as multi goes), Perfect Dark and Turok, I was quite excellent at console FPSs, but I never liked the advent of dual-analog controls for FPS (using a right stick ruins my circle-straffing techniques that are otherwise extremely effective with c-buttons), and as such haven't really dabbled in that genre for awhile, outside of Metroid Prime. However, it seems the Wii may mark a more serious return to that genre for me eventually.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Goldeneye . . . I remember that. Hours with my bros. The split screens were so small. Took me months to beat the train stage on hardest level. Had to systematically memorise the prise entry points of every foe, but eventually did it.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The single player campaign gave me trouble on the harder settings when I was trying to unlock the last multiplayer stage (never did, alas). That level where you had to protect the chick hacking the computer was impossible. Me I can take care amongst dozens of armed baddies, but she just kept dying.

24. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Man, that game was golden age and some of the most fun I've had on console multiplayer. Goldeneye was one of, what, three good games for the N64? :p

Being the Man With the Golden Gun was such a great feeling until someone managed to kill you and take it from you.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mario 64, Starfox 64, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Turok 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron, Banjoe Kazooie, Banjoe Tooie, Jet Force Gemini, 1080, Blast Corps, F-Zero X, Excite Bike 64, Zelda OOT, Zelda MM, Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros, Wace Race 64, PilotWings 64, to name a few...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.