main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What's your view on euthanasia (painless killing to relieve suffering)?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by droideka27, Jan 26, 2006.

?

What's your view toward euthanasia (painless killing to relieve suffering)?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. I support it! If someone is severely ill, has no chance of recovering, and they choose to be euthani

64.0%
  2. I do not support it! Euthanasia is morally wrong and should not be conducted.

20.0%
  3. I'm unsure about my views on the issue.

16.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Poll Idea by Darth-Lutgerous

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    If it is a personal choice, i support it. I don't know about other people chosing for someone though.

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    That's how I feel as well.

I've already made it clear to my family that if something happens to me where I can't function without being hooked up to machines, then I don't want it. I'd rather die.

4. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    Eh, I suppose in such circumstances I'm alright (though uncomfortable) with it.

5. ARC170pilot

ARC170pilot Jedi Master star 5

Sep 23, 2005
    If it was a seriously ill person's personal choice i suppose it would be ok, but i would be uncomfortable with it

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm against it. We didn't decide to be born, so I don't think it's in our competence to decide when to end it, either.

7. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm conflicted about this...

8. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    I support euthanasia!!someone if be in cruel ill and has no chance to recovery, that coerce whom to live (but live in miseries) is brutal and callous!!

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Basically what droideka said. If it is someone's own personal choice for themself, then yes. But not for other people to choose for them. So yes, when it comes down to it, I do support it.

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I support it, although I do not have a fully worked-out stance on the issue.

11. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I support euthanasia, if a person is severely sick then I would respect their decision.

12. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I support it. It's the persons right to decide what they want, and if they can't then they shouldn't have to suffer any more than they have to.

13. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I support it as well. If someone chooses death in order to relieve their suffering, they should have it.

14. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm split on this issue, because it's a very iffy thing. It can be taken too far so easily that it probably shouldn't be allowed, but then again, people should be allowed to leave this life with some dignity, rather than being forced to linger for years on end.

15. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I support it.

16. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I`m torn on the issue it really depends on the case and the person

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm unsure, as such a thing could easily go too far.

18. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I think I'd be against it.

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Having witnessed a family member waste away to a slow, painful death I'd have to say I support (voluntary) euthanasia.

20. DARK__SITH__LORD

DARK__SITH__LORD Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2006
    i say it again, i support it.
    if you watch your relative or friend or someone you love live in anguished because ill someday, you will understant why some people needs euthanasia!

21. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    I am completely for it, but of course, having said that, I've had to personally deal with the issue. I can understand why other people find it abhorrent or wrong...

22. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Removing life support is one thing. Administring something that will actually kill the person is another.

It's not like I've never watched anyone die. My dad died of cancer and he suffered. I'm sure there are people who suffer more and there may be instances that will make me doubt my stance. I could imagine there might be a circumstance where I would look the other way, but I would never condone it nor think it should be a legally accepted thing.

23. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I support it. We euthanize animals that are dying and suffering, yet we don't show the same level of mercy toward other humans who want to end their lives? That seems cruel. There is very little abuse of this when laws are in place that require the individual to have made the choice for hirself and only allow euthanasia for patients with only short times left to live.

If I was to die within a few months and was requiring extensive care just to stay alive for that long, I would want to end my life early, with more dignity. It would allow my family to move on more, especially knowing that I went how/when I wanted to, and they'd have less financial hardship to clean up afterwards. It would be better to peacefully and quietly than 3 months later after extended suffering - better for the individual and probably better for the survivors. It's a very personal decision, and I think that each individual should have the right to make it for hirself.

24. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I find it odd that it's natural to "put down" a pet (which often are considered "part of the family) to "relieve their suffering", but euthanasia is so highly frowned upon for humans.

25. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I am a medical professional, and I do not support it.

We cannot condone giving the proverbial handgun to someone in order for that individual to kill themselves, nor can we condone manslaughter by assisting them in doing it.

With that said, we can make the dying process as comfortable as possible without unnecessary extension by artificial means.

A big problem these days is that people are removed from the dying process, and they try to hold onto their relatives as long as possible thereby prolonging the patient's suffering. This is inherently due to what Kubler-Ross described as the first stage of grief: Denial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.