main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's Yub Nub?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheChosenSolo, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Jarren_Lee-Saber Looks like somebody knows how to paraphrase their GL quotes

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Less of quotes and more of an idea. :p

Seagoat likes this.
  3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Mmm, yeah! Yub-freaking-Nub, y'all!

FRAGWAGON and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And that's wrong. For twenty years, the OOT was the Star Wars saga. It was how it existed when Star Wars became a cultural phenomenon. You can prefer any version you want from an artistic standpoint, but from a historical standpoint, the OOT needs to remain accessible, not be buried in some deep dark hole.

5. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Well said. Coming from a visionary film maker who stood up contesting Turner's colorisation of film and cinematic preservation of classics in Congress in 1988 - he contradicted his very words by saying "His vision" when the historical significance of the OOT and all it created as a cultural phenomenon is merely a nostalgia trip due to his corporate views he fought against from 1971 until the early 90's when he secured the rights from Fox. Then in early 1995 he said i'll release a Special Edition. Unknown to fans that it was the last year you could openly buy the very trilogy that made millions upon millions of cinema-goers and fans fall in love with it and then he more or less says "You can ONLY watch my new version". It speaks volumes. Contradictions written in history.

In other words - kind of like pumping money into somebody's bank account for 20 years in promise of a reward then saying "Thank you for your support. I'm taking your valued Technic stereo separates away and now you can have a Fisher Price Record Player". What would happen if Disney said "The Special Editions will be discontinued for the foreseeable future and we're giving the general public, fans old and new the original, restored, correctly framed and unaltered theatrical Episodes IV-VI because those are the versions people have been asking for since 1996 since they were discontinued from retail"???

There would be an uproar with other and younger fans... contrast and comparison.

And Lucas doesn't have a say anymore. He sold up and is just a creative consultant. Would anyone buy a gigantic franchise without access to the three original movies that made cinema history. We shall see. Come on Fox!!!

Sarge likes this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Well this hasn't ever come up before (sarcasm) :rolleyes:
    Lucas' whole thing with going against Turner's coloration was about somebody ELSE taking an artist's work and making edits to it. His entire point was to leave the art in the original artist's hands, and not in some buyers hands. The artist can make changes, the distribution company cannot. Simple. If Disney up and decided to discontinue the Lucas Editions and only sell the OOT, they would be nothing more than Turner 2.0
    And as for your hilarious Fisher Price comparison....no, sorry it doesn't work like that.
    Lucas made a film. You paid money to watch it in the cinema. End of contract!
    Lucas puts a film on VHS. You pay money to buy the VHS. End of contract!
    Lucas puts a more correct to his vision version of the film on DVD. You choose not to buy said DVD. No problem. You choose to buy said DVD. ok. End of contract.
    No matter how many times you have watched it, bought it, bought toys of it, etc. Your contract with Lucas (and him owing you anything) ends at the exchange of cash for entertainment.
    It is no different than any other item that is discontinued! Example: I could rage for a week that I can no longer buy Lego's original Star Wars sets that have been discontinued and replaced with newer different ones. But I cannot claim any sort of moral high ground or accuse them of stealing my money just because the 'Lightsaber Duel' set is discontinued!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  7. Rowboatcop

Rowboatcop Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2011
    http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18068

It used to be easy to find on youtube but LFL or somebody has been pulling it lately. It's referred to in the posts near the bottom of that link.
    It was basically just vhs quality, had the original '83 ending but with pencil storyboards of the new shots and the Peter Buffett song. Timecode on the bottom.

8. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Does anyone know if the lyrics to Yub Nub actually mean anything? Or is it just gibberish?

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    There are english lyrics. I guess the ewokese is supposed to translate into them?

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They're in Ben Burtt's hilarious phrasebook. Every fan should have a copy.

Keep your tentacles where I can see them.

11. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    If that were the case

You compare it Lego sets being discontinued etc - but has any particular Lego set had a global cultural impact apart from a collectors standing point? No!

We can all contrast and compare to this that and the other - however, you cannot escape the scathing response from fandom screaming for the OOT.

You may agree with all of Lucas' offerings - that's your love letter to the creator. I have my love letter and I don't hate the guy. The fact is he removed a significant piece of cinematic history from the world. Lucas changes his mind on shots and it's "This was how it was supposed to happen" and we're supposed to take it like gospel when there is other stuff in print from years previously that says differently. I don't buy it and neither do a multitude of fans who scream for "That trilogy" either.

If Disney did decide to offer the OOT again to fans in a fully restored new transfer - it's an alternative, not p***ing on the other editions whilst the original cuts have been out of public sale for 19 years. Same thing goes with the Special Editions - those who preferred v.1.0 of the Special editions don't have the chance to watch them on a new format and only have VHS, Video CD and Laserdisc to watch them whilst the other two versions were tinkered further on shiny current formats.

If many other directors can offer their originals and Director's Cut in a package (Scott, Spielberg, Coppola, Donner, Gilliam, Romero, Cameron - even ******* Mel Gibson) then why can't Lucas? They have their own vision and respect the fans who made those original versions what they are today by making all versions available or the version preferred (as within the case of Spielberg and E.T with the perspective of look how huge that standalone film was). It's blind ignorance. And why would countless fans be arguing for that alternative?

We'll agree to disagree Jarren_Lee-Saber and I don't know if you're of the age to live the OOT back then, feel the impact of it all before the Special Editions or just trolling as Darth_Nub said to you previously - but tinkering has divided a fan base and i'd rather give my money to multiple fat, sweaty dealers at a Comic-Con for a factory pressed bootleg fan restoration to get the best available copy than Lucas for pure ignorance to fans who put him in the position he is in despite the fact of being a fan of over three decades and buying every single box set out there even if it is just for a glimpse further into unreleased material and new features where as the SE movie discs themselves maybe used as table coasters.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Well I am "of the age" and I loved the SpEds and the bluray.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    [/quote]Well I am "of the age" and I loved the SpEds and the bluray.[/quote]
    That may be good sir, but not every fan of something has to like every product with the franchise or band logo attached. For instance, Queen. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones were and still are the three most succesful bands in history and fans didn't have to like certain remasters. They rectified those in later re-issues for fans - the people who actually bought the albums first time and later on then current formats.

14. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Sorry, I just can't get myself worked up over the changes. Good day to you.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Not every fan can take it on the chin with unnecessary changes that don't really reflect to what is on screen or previously embedded in mass experienced culture for 20 years prior to the Special Editions just to tie something new to them for no apparent reasoning. Nor may they enjoy those offerings they may also class as substandard. But everybody has a different view.

Toodle Pip. :)

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The problem - as I see it - isn't the changes themselves. It's Lucas refusing to support the continued existence of the unchanged version.

Like I said before, from an artistic standpoint you're welcome to prefer any version you want. It's from a historical standpoint that the continued accessibility of the OOT really matters. This isn't an OOT fans versus SE fans thing - this is about preserving a central part of film and cultural history.

17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Yub Nub had this guy.

[​IMG]

no excuse for deleting him. or BS reasoning either.

Sarge and fuzzbox77 like this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed.

Most importantly, people who haven't seen the originals (pre-Special Edition, whatever) should see them just to realize not everything awesome was added later. I've seen people write as if they think Star Wars looked like old sci-fi TV with cheap crappy sets before any tinkering was done in 1997, and that is far from the truth. Most of what is in the movies was always there and no one ever thought of the quality as "dated" or in need of updating. That is what has always bothered me about this.

19. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Couldn't agree more. If the real side of Anakin had died in ROTS, then who was walking around in a life support for 23 years before Luke unmasks Vader to see an elderly and fragile former Jedi Knight laying before him.

If that was the case, then how the **** would Luke recognise Hayden Christensen at the end of ROTJ without seeing him. The Force? Pfffffft... All a lot of crap to be honest.

20. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    It's all a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense.

21. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Although I saw the SE first so had no immediate problem with it I can see why fans are pissed off that the originals are being lost. When I saw the original SW (or ANH) on VHS much later on I felt kind of frustrated that this wasn't the version I'd repeatedly watched. While some changes I can live with, the vibe of certain sections was surprisingly contrasting to what I had seen in the SEs. I mean stuff involving the Deathstar seems pretty much the same, but OOT Tatooine and SE Tatooine are two completely different animals. Hard to put in words, but the original just feels more real, and despite being a hardcore prequel fan, it is a shame to me that the OOT isn't how a lot of people are being introduced to the saga. I feel aspects of the prequels are underrated, and they probably would have had better reception if it wasn't for these version inconsistencies. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it is just silly that a lot of aspects of the movies that were clearly modified because of a change of heart aren't presented as this, when many fans have written evidence that its wasn't always meant to be that way. To state an obvious example, how does Han killing Greedo make him a ruthless killer when Greedo's dialogue clearly indicated he was about to kill Han? Dumb.

22. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    To be fair to Endor Celebration, the 1997 version still had Shaw.

I'm TRYING to find original editions of the movies to watch online, but no dice. Anyone have any ideas where I could find the pure, original, '77, '80 and '83 versions of the movies?

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Why did Anakin become a his younger self as a Force Ghost when Obi-Wan and Yoda had to stay old?

24. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    This became my reasoning for returning to a Shaw preference. At the first, I quite liked Hayden being there, because Hayden was the Anakin I knew and loved at that point. Then I thought about Anakin's redemption, and suddenly him returning as a younger Anakin didn't make sense to me.

25. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Freedom, we got freedom;
    And now that we can be free,
    Come on and celebrate.

Power, we got power;
    And now that we can be free,
    It's time to celebrate.

Celebrate the freedom;
    Celebrate the power;
    Celebrate the glory;
    Celebrate the love.

Glory, we found glory.
    The power showed us the light,
    And now we all live free.

*Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
    Celebrate the might; (Power!)
    Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.

Glory, we found glory.
    The power showed us the light,
    And now we all live free.

*Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
    Celebrate the might; (Power!)
    Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.
    Celebrate the love.

Oberst Hans Landa and Darth_Nub like this.