main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's Yub Nub?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheChosenSolo, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ^^^
    That's the censored version. All the lines about skin-flaying, starvation and mutilation were left out.

Apparently there's a 100-verse poem about the skull that Logray wears on his head that would make you throw up. Rumour has it that George R.R. Martin bought the rights to 'The Lay of Chief Chief Chirpa' from GL to use for the entire Theon Greyjoy/Ramsay Bolton storyline in ASOIAF, and based on the books, he's only halfway through. I hate Theon, but I genuinely feel sorry for him now. He doesn't know what's coming.:(

Sarge and Mr. K like this.
  2. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Cool. Thanks. Now, is that the actual translation or just made up lyrics?

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Pretty sure that's the 'translation', similar to the way they recorded Lapti Nek in both English and an alien version, then used the alien version for the film.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah. English lyrics for both Lapti Nek & Ewok Celebration were written by John Williams' son Joseph. Ben Burtt provided the alien translation. Here's Joseph Williams' English version ripped from Warwick Davis' Return of the Ewok & the making of documentary From Star Wars to Jedi...

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  5. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Those lyrics are official, and if you listen to the original version in the movie you can hear the choir start to sing the words "Celebrate the love" just before the credits pop up.
    I've noticed some people misremember the end as the Ewoks singing but it's actually a choir in the soundtrack singing the Ewoki words. The song on the soundtrack album has the Ewok voices.

Mr. K and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    "Jedi Rocks," is a possible indicator of what is to come with Disney. [face_sick]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the original jabba's palalce song "lapti nek"

i love this song but "jedi rocks" is just fine. i also love "yub nub" but the new ending song is much more emotional.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I'm a Yub Nub man myself.

I just feel it's a punchier piece. The CD Anthology has the complete lyrics to the Yub Nub song. Powerful stuff.

9. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Annie Arbogast, who sang in the final cut, was involved in the amateur punk scene at the time. She was perfect for the song, and its a shame her work is forgotten by Jedi Rocks.