main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Wheel of Time] A Memory of Light (HTR spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jek_Windu, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I haven't seen anyone else discussing this, so I decided to go ahead and report that Brandon Sanderson has been chosen to complete the conclusion to the Wheel of Time series, A Memory of Light. I also wanted to go ahead and start a thread for discussion on the last piece to Robert Jordan's masterpiece.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That's great news. I was under the impression that Jordan's wife would finish the last book, but as long as Sanderson has access to what Jordan was planning for Book 12, I'm optimistic.

There are a lot of loose plot threads that need to be tied up, though.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Wow.

Just wow.

Wow.

OMG wow.

Wow oh wow oh wow.

If you haven't read Mistborn or his other books, go read them.

The only thing about this I dislike is that his next book of his own will probably be delayed.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I have never heard of him.

I thought that his wife Harriet would finish it?

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You beat me to it :p (and I'm going to edit the title a little ;) ).

I hadn't heard that, only that Tom Doherty (owner of TOR publishing) was a good friend of Jordan's and that he and Harriet were planning on finishing it or having it finished. That's really good news to hear! Though I hope it'll be good and somewhat similar to Jordan's style.

6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Well the book should have alot of Jordan chapters in it anyway. Didn't he say he got pretty far into it?

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    He wrote Mistborn: The Final Empire, Elantris, and The Well of Ascension.

Fantastic author.

8. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I'll look them up.

I hope they mark it though on Jordan's last word he typed.

9. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    I kind of hope they do so as well, but only until the end of the book- I don't think anyone wants to be reading it and trying to figure out where Jordan ends and Sanderson begins, or comparing the Jordan section to the Sanderson one. I just really want to see the Last Battle- I've been following these characters since I was 15, I want to see how it ends.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't want to be spending the whole book looking for where Jordan ends and Sanderson begins, but I think that being told would make me start comparing chapters 8-} I am glad they're doing this; I really want to know what happens.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Agreed. There are lots of dual-author books where I can tell which chapters were done by which author. For example, the Death Star novel, it is very easy to tell which chapters were Reaves' and which were Perry's.

12. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    So, now the question is how do you think it will end? My theory: LTT fully takes over Rand and attempts to fight the Dark One. He loses and dies. Nynaneve brings him back after three days- but at the cost of her own life. Rand, now healed of all his physical afflictions and growing madness, takes on the Dark One Luke Skywalker style.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Two questions:

How much has Jordan written? (or, how much of it is left for Sanderson to write?)

And, have they been talking release dates?

Also, I'm making this thread spoilers allowed for when we get some. Please remember to make them Highlight-to-Read.

14. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    They haven't given anything definite for how much he wrote, but I get the feeling it was somewhere between 1/3 and half. But it is clear that he wrote much more in terms of notes and even sat down his wife and cousin and told them everything that was going to happen.

As for release, when they announced Sanderson to finish it, they gave the rough date of sometime in 2009.

My best guess is that it won't be out until October or November of that year, given how long it'll take Sanderson to actuall finish the book, and then the time from the final draft to printing.

EDIT: I would just like to take this time to point out that for some reason, the music of the new Battlestar Galactica fits perfectly with Wheel of Time.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I saw that article a few minutes after I asked that. And the conversation where he told Harriet and his cousin everything sounds like it was amazing -- wish I'd been there.

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sanderson is a grad student/creative writing instructor at my university. My friend took his class and I have done a workshop with him. He has an excellent grasp of the kind of writing that is needed for WoT.

17. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    Okay, that's awesome. Did he tell his classes before the official announcement?

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Not that I'm aware of. If you want to get the best sense of why he'll rock Wheel of Time, read Mistborn. Heck, read pretty much anything by him, but Mistborn is an incredible book that outshone his first book--Elantris--and that was HARD to do!

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Yep. Mistborn is pure awesome. I highly, highly recommend it. First part of a trilogy, but stands fine on its own.

It's basically a world where Evil* won, the idea that trees and grass where once green is considered a myth, where ash regularly falls from the sky, and where the peasants have it as bad as they ever have. Take that post-apocalyptic world, and throw in an Oceans 11 style heist on a grand scale. Finally, mix in a pretty-much unique system of magic that leads to some truly awesome fight scenes, and you get Mistborn.

*Perspectives may differ.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    RAVEN: I had gotten a gift card for a bookstore from my wifes grandmother for Xmas. My intention was to buy Sanderson's trilogy but when I got there they only had Elantris and Mistborn so I didn't get them. I was dissappionted in that. I will get them but I want to get them all at the same time.

SO instead I got Naomi Novik's 4 Temeraire Books. I have heard nothing but great things about this series so I am giving it a go. After wards I will look into Sanderson again. Have yall heard anything about Temeraire? Peter Jackson was interested in taking these books to the big screen.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've got Mistborn on hold at the library. What are its sequels?

22. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Mistborn is book one. The Well of Ascension is book two. Book three has yet to be written - Sanderson is apparently finishing some book from some author first, something about a dragon and his three girlfriends, a werewolf, a gambler, and a bunch of other characters. The slacker.

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh really? I thought that it was already completed.

Where does Elantris fit in, or is it independent?

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Thanks :)

25. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Elantris stands completely by itself. Like Mistborn, there's room for more books after if he ever wants to return to the story, but it wraps up everything quite nicely.

With his Mistborn trilogy, Sanderson seems to be taking a cue from George Lucas. The first part stands completely on its own as a story in of itself, with no particular need for sequels - but also very much open to the possibility of sequels. The second part ends with a massive cliffhanger, but also manages to provide some short term resolution.

If part three involves Ewoks, I quit.