main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Wheel of Time] A Memory of Light (HTR spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jek_Windu, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    My personal favorite at the moment is the cover for Towers of Midnight.

[image=http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/uploads/9297e2f416a470d6d0ce35b056e11e60.png]

Perrin looks incredibly badass there.

Pretty much neck-and-neck with that is the cover for Knife of Dreams.
    [image=http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/uploads/687bc3969e03c43f4bb077bfafc7a058.jpeg]

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those are pretty badass :D I never had a problem with Sweet's artwork, though. Whelan's is great. I wouldn't re-buy the WoT books, since I now have all but the most recent, but I'd be interested to see them, if he does them all.

I'd bet on late October/early November. I think he said the WoT books go through almost a dozen drafts. By the time it's totally finished, they might as well wait a little longer to, as someone already said, get the holiday market.

3. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    January 8th, 2013.

That. Sucks.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's REALLY surprising. And a poor marketing decision. Release it one month earlier for the holidays.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Check Sanderson's blog about it:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1058/A-MEMORY-OF-LIGHT-Release-Date

As well as explaining what went into the decision (which was not his), he also notes that it could well be moved up.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A YEAR!!

Thats insane, I know it's a big book but how long does it take to edit and print.

Very disappointed with this choice it could and should be this year some point IMO.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It ain't great but....just think of all the Xmas money / vouchers people have to spend - this date can take advantage of that.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Consider: Towers of Midnight had 11 drafts, and, to borrow Sanderson's words, was "a pile of typos" and took a lot out of Harriet.

Sure, it's disappointing it'll be that long, but complaining won't make it sooner, and in the long run, I'd rather have a book they spent enough time on to get it right.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I suppose

To paraphrase Miyamoto

A rushed book is bad forever....

I'll be patient

but impatient at the same time

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    A book like this can absolutely take a year to be edited. The 11 vs. 12 months thing is probably Harriet, not TOR; gift cards are great, but the market would be better before Christmas rather than afetr.

However, from a reading standpoint, I'll take the wait to have the most perfect book possible.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Waiting makes me a sad panda. But getting an awesome finished product makes me a very happy panda.

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow....I wonder how much if at all this is affecting his other works we are eagerly waiting for?

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Let me edit it, I'll do it in a week.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The time is approaching ... who wants to do an entire-series re-read with me? I'm not Rogue...Jedi already started his ...

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I have one planned to start soon... though due to my diminished reading time lately I'm not sure I'll actually finish this reread before AMoL comes out. Though I did just reread them starting in January, so that's not too bad.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm planning to do a partial re-read (up to Bk 11) then it's all new but I'm lot slower than I used so unlikely to keep up - won't stop me discussing though.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not sure I'm going to finish on time because I waited too late to start, but hey, it's worth a shot :p

The Saga of Recluse group-read fell apart pretty quickly last year, but it's always fun to try a book club at the beginning. Do you guys want to start this weekend-ish and try to do it together?

18. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I just finished The Dragon Reborn in my re-read, but I'd be willing to wait to start the next one until everyone else catches up if we do a group read.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I won't keep up, will flit in and out of the discussion!

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    SoloKnight, don't wait for us to catch up ... but maybe we should start a new thread so this one can stay for AMOL-specific stuff. SK, I'm lookin' at you :p

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The prologue (AKA probably the first 50+ pages 8-} ) is available as an e-book in several countries!

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm going ahead and starting with New Spring this weekend. Don't think I'll finish in time for AMoL, though.

And as tempting as the prologue is, I'll wait until the whole book comes out.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I too won't have time for a complete re-read. I'll probably just start from book 9 or so.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    New Spring! I totally forgot about it 8-} (Wasn't a fabulous book.)

Oh, I'm sure I won't hae time (put it off too long) but I feel the need to. And it's likely I won't be able to get a copy of AMOL for at least a couple weeks after release, anyway.

Even if I had done the reread on time, I probably wouldn't buy the prologue-it would make me way too antsy for the rest of the book 8-}

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy has despatched, probably arrive tomorrow - but it'll be months before I reach it properly.

The big Q: Do I sneak a peek at the final pages?