main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Wheel of Time] A Memory of Light (HTR spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jek_Windu, Dec 17, 2007.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_talk_hand] :p Yeah, I'm a huge goof :p

That sucks :( I wish I'd started a reread at all 8-} I just realized that I can't remember very many names (though I'm sure they'll come back) and some of the plotlines 8-}

Just out of curiosity, have any spoilers been leaked at all, or is everything hush-hush?

And, as a reminder: Check out the spoiler policy - all spoilers must be posted in this thread highlight-to-read for two weeks, and must be kept highlight-to-read in other threads for two more weeks. Which means if you forget and I get spoiled I will hunt you down.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The big spoiler is that it's quite possibly the best in the series so far. Given that Sanderson is writing it, I don't consider that a spoiler. :)

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] That does not surprise me :p

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll have to wait and see on that myself :p

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah that names of people and just the numerous plotlines to begin with made me want to reread the series. I thought about just reading TGS when it released but I would be missing out on too much. I have already discovered and rediscovered things I had not caught the first time around. So as much agony as its going to be I will have to resist cracking that book open tomorrow!!!!

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

It's been about two years since I cracked open a Wheel of Time book. Maybe more. I'm not actually even sure that I read the most recent, or bought it. I'm going to check tomorrow, before I go to work. If I don't have it, I'll be getting two books tomorrow...

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    At least my copy has finally shipped... Its going to be sad not having it tomorrow, but at least I'm saving several dollars... I'll pick up IC: 501st tomorrow and let that hold me over until TGS arrives.

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I just got The Gathering Storm! :D

Three pages in and I'm already hooked! :p

Evil.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Naturally. Of course, I'm getting impatient :p

10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Just got it at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks!! I can't tell yet if this one is the biggest or not. It feels MASSIVE when you are holding it, the story clocks in at 766 pgs then however many more for the Glossary.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    766 pages probably makes it one of the shorter ones, actually. Though of course word count and page count can be quite different - you can have more pages but fewer words, etc.

Still:

EotW: 782 pages
    GH: 681
    DR: 674
    SR: 981
    FoH: 963
    LoC: 987
    CoS: 856
    PoD: 672
    WH: 766
    CoT: 823
    KoD: 837

Which would put this at tied for 7th out of 12, just on the shorter end. Average length: 815.7 pages.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nerd :p Also, paperback vs. hardcover might vary, unless you're going by the hc pagecounts.

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    It may be one of the shorter ones, but if it was 2.83 times as long it'd be the longest by far. I'll take it as it is.

I'm 193 pages in. Most books, I'd be half done by now. I'm not even a third of the way through this one though. And it's GOOD. Very good. Stylistically, it feels like Robert Jordan writing better than usual. The actions are present as I'd expect them to be, but the articulation is more clear, with fewer random instances of in-world profanity or mannerisms. There's been hardly a single blood and bloody ashes, and one aborted braid tug. Everyone, everything feels like they should.

There's a lot more Rand in this than in books past, and there's a lot of focus on him. Two main characters have yet to appear. And I expected that two characters would have a lot more interaction, but to date they haven't said anything to each other, despite being in the same area. I wonder if that's how things were planned, if there just didn't seem to be time or reason to have them talking, or if a lampshade is just being hung over it with the disclaimer that the book is already huge, and doesn't need more scenes that aren't really specifically relevant.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, good point about the paperback vs hardcover page count. Knife of Dreams is 761 hc/837 pb. So that probably means this one is longer than I made it sound. :)

I was in the bookstore today and glanced through tGS a bit... but didn't get it because its pre-ordered and on the way (tomorrow [face_praying] more likely, Thursday). It was really tough not getting it, even though I know I'll have it soon...

Also, there should be more Rand at this point of the story - now is when all the story lines have to start gathering together and centering around him, in preparation for Tarmon Gai'don.

15. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Last night while reading TPoD was pure torture for me! TGS was just merrily sitting on the bookshelf calling to me.......... :(

I will NOT start reading TGS until I am done with KoD! I will NOT start reading TGS until I am done with KoD!

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Makes me glad I reread the series back in May :p

Though at some point I'll want to reread the whole set of 12 together...might be a while before I can get to that, though.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And we've got releases the next two years too (might give ME some time to reread 8-} )

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I curse thy one named Rouge...Jedi to babysit my 6yr daug. and 2yr son so that I may read faster!!

Now, pick on my again if you dare!

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Send them to me, and then when you finish, loan me your book :p

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    LOL Rouge! I can't even make a threat correctly without misspelling. lol

NYC....you think you can handle the little heathens??? Her name is Jaina and his is Jace, and they BOTH think they are real Jedi so just give them some toy lightsabers and you will be set.

22. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I just finished. And yes, definitely the best book so far.

Hmm, spoilers. Many random teasing spoilers.

-Rand + Balefire + Forsaken = ? [face_praying]

-Rand + Balefire + village = ??? [face_thinking]

-Rand + Balefire + Tam al'Thor = ????? [face_hypnotized]

-Rand + Balefire + Sa'angreal + CITY = !!!!!!!!!!!!!? o_O

-Egwene make stuff go boom.

-One of the good guys is a Darkfriend. Sort of. More of a Darkfrenemy. Some people saw it coming from a long, long way off over on the theory sites, but I don't think that anyone got it quite right.

-Some of the good guys are Darkfriends, for real. Minor characters all, but one played an important role in the series.

-My favorite quote? "I don't trust you. I don't think I ever have." "Very wise. I am, after all, of the Black Ajah." BAM.

-Mat wanders into a zombie film, assuming you consider 28 Days Later style zombies to be zombies. One of the coolest Pattern warps to date.

-Ishmael and Rand are definitely directly linked.

-True Power, sourced from the Dark One, is used by one of the good guys. For serious.

-Elayne isn't in the book. Perrin and Mat are barely in it. This book is about Rand and Egwne. Minor character chapters exist only to explain what's happening in the background around Rand and Egwene.

-Someone gets bonded, and then proposes marriage to the woman who did it to him. Finally.

-Rand visits his grave.

-Elaida finally gets exactly what she deserves. A new name!

-Tuon gets a new name too!

-The way you beat someone smarter than yourself is to offer to play their game. And then, as they're sitting down, you punch them in the face.

-Famous last words? "I want to do it right this time." Elvis has left the building.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Must... resist...spoilers...

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Better than later, but not as good as today, let alone yesterday :(

24. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    I protest that this was the best in the series, although its definitely in my top 4. I don't understand why some people seem to think that just because Sanderson wrote most of it that it's automatically better. The only difference I felt was that I read it in 2 days instead of a full week (that's 7 days people, not 10). He did a great job with characters, language, atmosphere, the whole thing. In my opinion, this book would have been just as awesome had Jordan himself been writing it, as it's part of the grand finale.

By now, Mat is actually my favorite character. What happened to the scoundrel we all knew?!?! He's a bona fide hero now! Although it looks like he's going to have to deal with some serious marital tension. Seriously, what was Tuon thinking? "Dragon Reborn, bow to me!" just doesn't work! (disclaimer: not an actual quote.) And now Mat has yet another plotline to wrap up in the next two books besides rescuing Moiraine.

Egwene provided the moment of sheer awesomeness in this book. Kinda surprising to me, as I usually dislike her.

Gawyn finally comes to his senses! Yay!

There's a lot of tell but not show going on about Perrin and his plot. :( He meets Galad and everything, and it only receives a passing sentence!

Tam is right, Cadsuane is just a bully. I hate her worse than anyone else in the series.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I have my copy, and will be finally starting tonight :D

I haven't been this excited about a book since... I don't know when :p And it's only going to go up for the last two.

EDIT: and having read the Prologue and nothing else... wow. I knew some of the plotlines were going to be closed in this one, but I wasn't expecting any to be closed as quickly as the prologue [face_laugh]