main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When All That Is Said And Done (JA Sequel to "Visions")

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Healer Apprentice Lina, Jun 12, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to get the thread up. This is a sequel to my first JA story, Visions. You will need to have read the first in order to understand the characters for this one.
    here's the address: Forum16/HTML/000931.html Forum16/HTML/000931.html

It's a short story and won't take too long to read. And leave comments as well! I love comments!

I'll post the first part of this story in a bit.

2. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Okay, here's the first bit. Hopefully, everyone who's reading this has read the first story so they're familiar w/the characters on Gema.
    Just a word of warning, as I was thinking up this story, I realized that it was going to be a lot more angsty than the last, so just to keep that in mind. Enjoy!
    When All That Is Said and Done

The day Master Healer Fendre had told Bren Haran'Tak that he was to be paired with Sira Kershni as his first year partner, Bren had feared senility was overtaking his old teacher faster than he had anticipated. But over 10 years later, Bren still silently thanked old Fendre for shoving them together.

Old man knew what he was doing all along Bren thought, wryly.

As first year partners, Bren and Sira had almost made themselves famous. Despite their strong differences, the Medi-Center on Gema had yet to boast a better working pair. Even after their partnering was officially over, Bren and Sira still continued to take on patients together. In fact, there wasn't a single project that one took on that the other wasn't at least consulting.

Until now.

The three Gemian Council delegates were going on a cultural and scientific information exchanged to the planet, Corean as part of the new expansion policy that Ambassador Tre'lan had started. Sira would be accompanying the three delegates in case they needed her services as a healer and also to exchange medical information with the Corean healers. And she would be going without Bren.

As much as he would have liked to go, the Medi-Center had become impossibly busy the past few days and they couldn't spare another healer. And so, Sira would be going by herself and for the first time in his life as a healer, Bren realized he would not see Sira for two weeks.

On the day of her departure, Bren fidgeted as he watched Sira pack. Her quarters were getting increasingly chaotic as she hurriedly threw data pads and clothes into a single bag.

"Why didn't you pack earlier?" Bren asked, innocently.

"Don't start" Sira warned. The early morning sunlight streamed in through the windows and skated through the curls of Sira's silver hair as she dashed about the room. Grabbing a stack of data pads from her desk, she shoved them into Bren's hands. "These are the patients that are coming in this week." Bren's eyes widened at the load.

"When did you take on all these patients?"

"Not me, us. They're OUR patients. You've just been too busy with your research to meet with them as often as I have."

"Well, now's my chance" Bren muttered.

With a final look around her upturned quarters and making sure she had everything, Sira made her way towards the ship followed by Bren.

"So...." Bren cleared his throat. "Send a holo when you get there, huh?"

Sira nodded. "Of course."

"And...you know...let me know how your doing." Bren tried to keep from fretting. Sira caught his awkwardness and made a show of rolling her violet eyes.

"Bren, you're getting to be worse than Qui-Gon."

Bren laughed at her comment and dispensed the tension. A year now since the healers had met Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi. And it wasn't an experience they were to forget any time soon. Qui-Gon was sure to go down in Gemian medical history as the most hen mother of a guardian in regards to his apprentice.

"Don't flatter yourself. I just want to make sure you don't embarrass us to the Corean healers." Bren kept his voice light.

But at the landing pad, he was again struck by anxiety.

It's only two weeks he admonished.

But all the same, Bren wrapped his arms around the smaller healer and held on to her tightly. Sira returned the hug and spoke softly,

"Keep busy and I'll see you before you know it."

Bren nodded, his chin resting in her hair. After a moment, they broke the hug and Sira rushed on board the ship with the awaiting delegates. Bren stayed on the landing pad and watched as the ship departed and disappeared into the skyline. Turning back towards the Medi-Center, the Gemian slowly walked back.

[This message has been edited by Healer A

3. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    MORE!!! I'm SO Happy there is a sequal!!!

4. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    YOOHOO A SEQUEL!!!!! I really like the characters of Siri and Bren. I loved it when they refered to Qui-Gon as a Mother Hen, very funny. Couldn't be happier to see that this will be a lot more angsty than the last, nothing better than some good old fashion angst to make a good read!!!!!!

5. Kid Jedi

Kid Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2000
    WOO HOO !!! bring on the angst...

6. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Here's a bit more. No angst yet but it'll get there. Comments please! (ain't it always that way? )
    Enjoy!
    TWO DAYS LATER

Obi-Wan Kenobi nearly bolted out of bed when he opened his eyes. But the familiar feel of the sheets and the vague outlines of his desk and chair reminded him where he was.

His room. His bed. He was safe.

Pushing back his sweat drenched hair, the 15 year old pulled the sheets around him closer. The feeling of dread had yet to completely leave him. He could still feel himself shaking. Whether it was from fear or cold he didn't know.

//Padawan? Are you alright?// The concerned voice of Qui-Gon Jinn traveled through the bond.

Sith! I woke him up.

//I'm fine, Master. I apologize for waking you// Obi-Wan hoped the sounds of his teeth chattering couldn't be heard.

The light in his room was soon flicked on as the worried figure of his Master came over and sat next to him.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Qui-Gon pressed his hand against Obi-Wan's forehead to find it cool

Obi-Wan nodded. "I'm sorry for waking you. I guess my shielding needs some practice."

"It's perfectly alright, Obi-Wan. I don't want you shielding from me if something is wrong. Did you have a nightmare?"

Obi-Wan couldn't remember having a dream. Just waking up with a feeling of something being....amiss. But the teenager pushed the thoughts aside. He couldn't sense any immediate danger and he didn't want to worry his Master.

"It probably was just a bad dream" Obi-Wan agreed.
    +++++++++++++++
    The ringing of his telecom woke Bren from his much needed slumber. With Sira gone, the past two days had been a nightmare of double patient loads. Bren had been hoping for a good night's rest. But the persistant screaming of his telecom had other plans.

The Gemian all but fell out of his bed and stumbled over to the device. He didn't even bother smoothing down his silver hair that was sticking up at odd angles.

Bren turned on the viewscreen to reveal the rather diplomatic looking face of Ambassador Tre'lan's messanger. Even at this late hour the man looked impeccably groomed. The small detail annoyed Bren further.

"Yes?" he answered.

"Healer Haran'Tak?"

"Yes?" The response was a bit more agitated.

"Ambassador Tre'lan needs to speak with you immediately."

Bren glared at the messanger with bloodshot violet eyes. "Does the Ambassador realize that its nearly 4 in the morning?"

"The matter is urgent, Healer Haran'Tak. There is news from Corean."

7. Jedi Tamara

Jedi Tamara Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 1999
    I'm getting angsty waiting for the angst.

8. Kid Jedi

Apr 2, 2000
    fantastic beginning Lina!!

9. Kid Jedi

Apr 2, 2000
    Lina, Will this be a short story too as VISIONS was? or perhaps longer than that one. Just wondering...now to the top please!

10. Tenel'Ka

Apr 5, 2000
    Cool! I wonder if Obi-Wan is having a feeling of dread for the immediate future, or his later future.? Keep up the cool posts! I want more, as always!!!

11. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    well that took bloody forever! my computer here is so darn slow!
    Well, in any case:
    Kid Jedi , i actually don't know how long this story will be. I haven't thought the entire thing through yet so who knows.
    I'd also like to thank the people who helped get my other thread to 100!
    Well, here' s more story!
    As usual comments I love and discovering lurkers as well.
    Enjoy!
    "Good morning, Mast--er." The end of Obi-Wan's greeting was interrupted by a yawn. Staring at the sleepy form,

"Awake yet, padawan?"

"My brain would like my body to believe so."

Qui-Gon chuckled. The joking humor of his apprentice did much to lighten his concern at the dark circles that surrounded Obi-Wan's eyes. Qui-Gon had not been pleased about leaving Obi-Wan alone after his supposed nightmare. But his student had insisted. Judging by his appearance now, it looked like he didn't get much sleep after Qui-Gon had left.

"We meet with the Council today." His apprentice looked at him, surprised. "Just got word this morning."

"New mission?"

"Most likely." The prospect of a new assignment brightened Obi-Wan considerably as he dashed into the refresher.

It was almost an hour later when both Master and padawan stood before the assembled Council.
    "Message we have from Ambassador Tre'lan. Regards his treaty with Corean it does." The voice of the small green master rang through the Council room. Qui-Gon masked his surprise at the Ambassador's name. He hadn't heard from anyone on Gema in nearly a year.

Mace Windu tilted his head towards the large viewscreen as the photos of three Gemian males appeared. "The Ambassador had assembled a group of delegates to go on an exchange mission of good faith to Corean. Late last night, two of the three delegates were found dead in their rooms. The third is in a coma."

"For you and your apprentice the Gemian Ambassador has has asked for. Aid in the investigation you are requested."

"How were these men killed?"

Mace frowned, "The Corean healers cannot find the cause of death. It appears as though the men have just died in their sleep."

"Highly unlikely" Qui-Gon noted.

"Agreed."

"And what of the accompanying Gemian Healer?" Qui-Gon asked. "Surely they took one."

Mace and Yoda exchanged a glance before the dark skinned Jedi responded. "That brings us to the matter of the third delegate, Councilman Darat. When he was found in a coma, Healer Sira Kershni tried a binding trance on him to help draw him out. You are familiar with this technique." It wasn't a question. Qui-Gon had told Mace awhile back on their particular episode on Gema. A year ago such a trance had saved Qui-Gon's padawan.

"Has she made any progress?"

Mace shook his head. "Healer Kershni has also slipped into a coma shortly after binding with Darat."

"What?!" The horrified voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi bounced off the walls of the Council Room.

"Obi-Wan..." The Jedi Master gave Obi-Wan a disapproving look. Feeling his face grow red, Obi-Wan lowered his eyes. He barely heard the rest of the briefing and only looked up as Mace dismissed them.

"Your transport leaves in an hour. You will be joined on Corean by the Ambassador and Healer Bren Haran'Tak. Go and return safely."

"Thank you, my masters" Qui-Gon returned with a bow and turned to leave. Managing to bow, Obi-Wan quickly followed his Master. Once outside,

"Master, I'm sorry for my rudness but Sira-"

"I know, Obi-Wan. I'm worried as well. But we must be patient."

"Yes, Master."

"Good, we must gather our things."
    +++++++++
    Obi-Wan forced himself to concentrate on packing. He had only spoken to Sira once after leaving Gema a year ago. But the closeness he had felt with her was like nothing he had known before. He wasn't attracted to her, not in that way as sometimes his Master teased him. But there was something about her that made Obi-Wan feel like he knew her so well.

The feeling of dread was threatening to return as he began to dwell in his thoughts. The idea of Sira in a coma, even dying shook him deeply. But he pushed back his fears. Panicking was not

12. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Wonderful post!!!!! I love Obi angst almost as much as Obi torture.... so bring it on!!!!

13. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    I seem to have touched a nerve somewhere by hitting the "Angst" button.
    Well, it'll get here....soon....hopefully. I just made a decision concerning plot stuff so now I'm gonna have to work it in.
    More later!

14. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Very intriguing start. Is there a kind of weak bond between Obi-Wan and Sira, is that what woke him up in the night? Will it get worse as he gets closer? What's going to happen next? Post soon!

15. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    I'm delighted to see another story with your wonderful character's of Sira and Bren.

Exciting start. I'm already feeling a great concern for for Sira.

Post often, post soon.

16. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    A bit more.
    Obi-Wan remained silent throughout most of the trip over to Corean. While Qui-Gon had long stopped trying to engage his padawan in light conversation, he continued to send waves of reassurance through their bond which Obi-Wan accepted with gratitude. As they stepped off the ship, Qui-Gon immediately spotted the two silver heads of Ambassador Tre'lan and Bren Haran'Tak. Against the dark hair of the Coreans, the two stuck out. The Jedi Master moved to shake hands with Tre'lan.

"Ambassador."

"It is good to see you both again" Tre'lan greeted. "Even under such circumstances." The Ambassador gave Obi-Wan a warm smile. He had not forgotten that his son still breathed today because of the young student. "Please, follow me. We have much to discuss."

As they made their way towards the Corean lodging building, Qui-Gon glanced at Bren, who continued to walk beside him and Tre'lan in silence.

Gemians were best known throughout the galaxy for their youthful appearance. While their silver hair suggested advanced aging, it was a fact that their faces remained unlined and ageless. Eternally youthful. But looking at Bren now, Qui-Gon questioned that fact. The Gemian healer looked awful.

"How are you, Bren?" Qui-Gon asked, quietly.

"Worried." It was an honest answer. Bren's normally violet eyes were rimmed with red and lines of stress and concern etched his face. He looked like he hadn't slept in awhile.

In the little time Qui-Gon had known Bren, he had always seemed to be constantly fueled by his own burning curiousity. The prospect of collecting new data or doing research. Nothing else seemed to phase him. Until now. The Jedi Master had never stopped to consider how close Bren really was to Sira. Qui-Gon felt a rush of sympathy at the waves of exhaustion and worry the Gemian was radiating.

"We will do everything we can" Qui-Gon promised.

The healer only gave a tight nod.

[This message has been edited by Healer Apprentice Lina (edited 06-13-2000).]

17. Sat'zi

Sat'zi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2000
    Healer Apprentice Lina , I just read your other story, Visions all in one go! Incredibly satisfying to be able to do that! and it was a great story!
    I'm very attached to Bren and Sira now and am looking forward to reading more about them in this story.
    Post again soon!!

18. Tenel'Ka

Apr 5, 2000
    COOL!!!MORE PLEASE!

19. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Wonderful Healer Apprentice Lina!!!!! I hope you continue to post on a regular basis, this is a great story!!!!!! Sira and Bren are a wonderful addition to the Star Wars Universe.

20. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    this is great Lina....MORE!!!

21. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    (holds out hands) Okay, I admit, I don't have a post written yet. I've had a busy morning but I managed to map out the rest of my story in my head.

Kid Jedi , to answer your question about whether or not its going to be a short story, yes, its going to be about the same length as "Visions."
    But if I can actually write some good character angst stuff, maybe a bit longer.

Keep reading peeps! I'll post soon!

22. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Here's a very small bit. Sorry about its shortness but small post is better than none, right? Comments, though will still be appreciated!
    Obi-Wan walked quietly behind Qui-Gon who was engaged in conversation with the Ambassador. He tried to push back the headache that was rapidly forming. Obi-Wan was listening up to Tre'lan explaining that their lodgings were conveniently close to the Corean Medi-Center but then suddenly stopped.

Stay away.....

The teenager continued to walk but slowed his pace. Had he just imagined that?

Get away from me!

Obi-Wan stopped following the three elders all together and strained his ears to hear the faint whisper. Nothing. Casting his senses out into the Force, he tried desperately to find the source of the voice and found....nothing. He could have sworn that....

"Padawan?"

Looking up, he saw Qui-Gon, Tre'lan and Bren staring at him a few feet away.

"Sorry, Master but I thought I-" he stopped in mid-sentence.

"Thought what, Obi-Wan?" The look on Qui-Gon's face was that of a slightly annoyed man. They were wasting time.

"I'm sorry. It was nothing" he apologized abruptly and hurried to catch up. Obi-Wan could feel Qui-Gon regarding him, even though he was facing the Ambassador again. His Master could always do that.

Obi-Wan mentally slapped himself. This was ridiculous, he was spending all day apologizing to his Master for his rude behavior. He had to concentrate. As they approached their lodgings, Obi-Wan had resumed trying to listen although his headache began to increase by tenfold. Using the Force, he dampened the pain as best he could.
    +++++++++++++
    Through the his window, he had seen the four figures entering the lodging area.

The Ambassador has brought the Jedi

There was a moment of silence as the man's eyes stared at the Corean traffic, seeing nothing. Suddenly, he slammed his fist into the wall beside him in a burst of anger.

This is getting increasingly complicated. The dark eyes narrowed until they were no more than furious slits. First that healer and now this....I cannot fail now.

He had not believed the Ambassador would call in outside help in this matter. Dealing with the Jedi was far more dangerous. Turning his attention to the building they entered, he forced himself to put on a neutral face, even as his wheels in his head turned.

Those Jedi must NOT ruin my plans. Something has to be done.

[This message has been edited by Healer Apprentice Lina (edited 06-14-2000).]

23. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    This is getting very interesting indeed!!!!

You are quite right.... A short post is better than no post.

Now on with more posts!!!!!!!!

24. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Kill the Jedi! Kill the Jedi!

Er, whoops. I meant to say, on with the story! On with the story! And yes, a short post is better than none. Many regular, short posts are even better than irregular long ones.

25. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    I've got a post here. Anyone interested? It's plot stuff so sorry if a bit dull but it is needed. Remember, I love comments and de-lurking lurkers even more. (I keep saying that in a vain hope that more people are reading this than I think)
    Anyways, enjoy!
    The lodging area was conveniently loacted across the stret from the Corean Medi-Center. From their room window, Obi-Wan could see the mammoth structure. He quickly broke his gaze as the sunlight hit the windows and bounced the sharp light into his eyes. His headache was throbbing persistently.

"Ambassador Ariam and the Corean healer, Mir will be joining us shortly but I wanted to give you a better idea of the situation before they arrived" Tre'lan began. "Councilmen Kri and Shon were found dead in their beds by Healer Kershni. Darat was the only one in that room left alive in a coma. Records don't show anyone else entering that room before Healer Kershni and it doesn't even appear as if the men left their beds even once before turning in for the night."

"Why would Sira go and visit the delegates so late at night?" Qui-Gon questioned.

"According to Mir, Sira claimed she had been trying to reach Councilman Shon for awhile and got worried when she didn't receive an answer" Bren interjected. "Autopsies on the bodies reveal absolutely nothing. No bruising, no visible wounds, no internal bleeding. It's like they just fell asleep and never woke up." The frustration in Bren's voice was apparant.

"And you cannot find anything physically wrong with Darat or Sira?"

"Other than the fact that they're in a coma, no. Just plain delta waves. Their neuroactivity is at bare minimum according to the readings." The frustration was mounting.

Qui-Gon regarded the facts for a minute.
    "Tre'lan, why did you pick these particular men to come to Corean?"

"Well, Kri has been- or had been- aiding in the negotiations with Ambassador Ariam. He was instrumental in the treaty we were able to reach. Both Shon and Darat had made multiple trips here before while the talks were underway."

"Do you believe that the Coreans have something to do with their deaths?"

Tre'lan frowned. "I like to believe no. But it has become a difficult situation. Should the Coreans be found guilty of something, our treaty with them will be terminated. The Senate will see to that. But, if a guilty party cannot be found....the Expansion Program will be canceled all together." Tre'lan gave a dry smile at the look of surprise on Qui-Gon's face. "Senator Filial was never a supporter of my Expansion plan. Should this matter of this mysterious attack not be resolved with a solid, living culprit, Filial will paint it to the Senate that it was a warning from the Gods against the program and it will be terminated."

"Can they really do that?" Obi-Wan asked, suddenly in disbelief. "Take away an entire year's worth of work because of this mystery?"

"I'm afraid my people are very serious when it comes to the forces of the Deities, Padawan Kenobi. They do not dare do anything that might be unfavorable in our Gods' eyes. I know, I know, it sounds terribly superstitious but it is our tradition." Tre'lan rubbed his eyes, tiredly. "The events surrounding our negotiations with Corean has hardly helped. The talks have been difficult to say the least. The Coreans are not very trusting by nature."

"Suspicious and paranoid would be better ways to describe them" Bren spat. "It took me nearly 48 hours to gain access to their Medi-Center to even see Sira and Darat. It's ridiculous that WE have to get clearance to see OUR patients."

"It's a bit uncalled for I grant you. But we must remember Bren that by being here we agree to their rules on their planet" the Ambassador reminded.

"And those are OUR people, Ambassador!" The Gemian Healer stood up and began to pace. The anger and frustration was finally beginning to bubble over. "Blood tests, fingerprinting, voice recognization! Such pointless percautions! What do they think I'm going to do? Run in and murder Sira and Darat myself?!"

Qui-Gon was about to i

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.