main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When Anakin was "rebuilt" Where did the name Darth Vader come from?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bounty Hunter Heshler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Bounty Hunter Heshler Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2014
    It wasn't really explained anywhere, is there some comic or anything in the EU that explains this?
    did he simply just choose what sounded coolest?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You watched "Revenge Of The Sith", haven't you?

3. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Jun 2, 2014
    I have.
    admittedly it's been a while, but I do remember the majority of it, I don't remember there ever being anything stated on it?

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine just picked it as he was naming Anakin. The suit was just put together while his wounds were being tended to. Simple as that.

5. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Jun 2, 2014
    Ah, thank you, I feel a bit foolish now.

6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Doesn't it seem strange that anyone would just happen to have a suit like that laying around, and in Anakin's size, too? I mean, it seems to be designed for a certain visual effect, and appears to be complicated in its relation to life-support. With additive manufacturing you could probably 'print' something like that in the SW galaxy, but designing it would seem to take more than a few hours...

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Nah, it's okay. The novelization does go into a bit of detail, but not by much. EU source guides referred to the nature of the armor as being somewhat Lightsaber resistant which is supposed to explain why Luke didn't cut off Vader's arm at the shoulder when he hits him.

Bounty Hunter Heshler likes this.
  8. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Jun 2, 2014
    You'd think as this huge overlord, with practically unlimited money and power, would be able to have a properly working (artificial) respiration system.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Obviously Palpatine already had access to that technology, as a cyborg with an artificial respiration system was already working for him via the Separatists.

I imagine Vader's armor was probably based on some old Sith paraphernalia Palps had lying around.

As for the main thread question: Palpatine picked the name "Darth Vader", but the way his voice changes when he says it seems to imply that it came straight from the dark side, more or less.

10. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Jun 2, 2014
    Thank you for the informative response!

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As we've seen in the Star Wars universe losing limbs and getting cybernetic replacements is no big deal technically so do that plus a respirator and the rest os easily assembled cosmetics.

Sidious likes black and give him a skull like mask plus cape.

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Darth Sidious: "Henceforth you shall be Darth, um, let's see, uhhhh, Vader. Darth Vader."

13. Bounty Hunter Heshler

Jun 2, 2014
    10/10

14. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013

Anakin: "I don't like it, master!" - in wingey voice.
    Sidious: "WHAT? Darth Vader, Vader for those close to you."
    Anakin: "No, still don't like it!
    Sidious: "Go and destroy the Jedi....even the kiddies!"
    Anakin: "What? Really? You want me to have a nickname of Darth Vader and go on some infanticidal genocide mission!! Wow, you really are a crazy old wizard! Screw this Sith stuff"
    Sidious: "I'll show you how to shoot lightening from your finger tips"
    Anankin: " Errrrr, ok then. But, I better get to use the lightening at some point in the next 20 to 30 years!"

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The naming was very creepy.

The knowledge to "build" the armor had to be floating around for a long time since they have been traveling the stars for no less than twenty-five thousand years.

I could see the armor being part of Sith stuff that Palpatine might have had laying around. If anyone here has watch the "Lost Missions" of the Clone Wars a certain figure appears and the resemblance is uncanny. And I will be the first to admit that I thought that the figure was Vader.

16. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    This is from the Revenge Of The Sith Novel. One of the things I love about the novel is that it goes so in depth with the characters thoughts, it changes the experience of watching the film. oh and the part where Vader is reconstructed is written from Vader's point of view

Darth Sidious laid a pale hand on Anakin's brow. "Then it is done. You are now one with the Order of the Dark Lords of the Sith. From this day forward, the truth of you, my apprentice, now and forevermore, will be Darth..."
    A pause; a questioning in the Force--
    An answer, dark as the gap between galaxies--
    He heard Sidious say it: his new name.
    Vader
    A pair of syllables that meant him.
    Vader, he said to himself. Vader.

Also to note that while Vader was being reconstructed Sidious kept him awake the entire time and he had no anesthesia

17. Masterjedi688

Masterjedi688 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2014
    Yes, it seems the Emperor does love black. Even Darth Maul wore black. On the Lego Star Wars Yoda chronicles cartoons, you hear one or two of the characters call Darth Vader PLEATHER PANTS. LOLOLOL.

18. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    It might be considered "Legends," now (or just a "false memory," lol), but I thought that the technology for Darth Vader's first suit was based upon the lessons learned from constructing General Grievous' bionic body?

19. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Fun fact: whilst Darth Sidious ostensibly picked the name Vader out of the metaphorical hat, Vader is in fact the Dutch word for father, see here.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    ...And Palps did know Anakin was the father of Padme's baby.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Mind=blown what a twisted genius joke on Sidious' part

22. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Did he know? I don't remember that ever being said in the movie.

23. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Well to be fair, Palpatine certainly did know that Padme and Anakin were married. We don't know for certain that Palpatine knew that Padme was pregnant but I think it is more than likely that he would have known. He saw her every day in the Senate after all. Then it's just a case of putting two and two together. I'm pretty sure that Palpatine really did think that Padme died on Mustafar so he probably assumed the child died with her.

Dak Oolron, Django Fett and mikeximus like this.
  24. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Yeah I can see that train of thought for sure. Nice catch! Never occurred to me he came to the conclusion that it was Anakin's kid, even though I knew Palpatine comes out and says he knows Padme and Anakin are an item. That one went over my head.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I might be in the minority here, but I enjoyed the scene of Palpatine picking Vader's name. You could almost sinister hear voices in the background, similar to William's score for Darth Maul (which admittedly, I only noticed when I saw it in theaters).

Vader's suit was equal parts functionality and aesthetics. Palpatine had the robotic ingenuity of the Separatists at his disposal (Grievous), but being horrifically scarred, you really can't go around in the open like that. The way I see it, Palpatine just made Vader's appearance mirror the monster he'd become and fashion the ideal Sith.