main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When Anakin was "rebuilt" Where did the name Darth Vader come from?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bounty Hunter Heshler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I believe that in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader it's mentioned that the suit is based on the appearance of ancient Sith war droids.

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm virtually sure in the novelization that Palps and Anakin's conversation were he offers his knowledge to stop her dying its revealead he knows she's carrying Anakin's baby. Reading between the lines if Anakin has told Palps about his slaughter of the Tusken's and his marriage to Padme then surely he trusted him enough to tell him about Padme's pregnancy too?

3. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    No, that's not possible.
    Anakin's surprise here shows that actually, he didn't tell the Chancellor about his marriage. And if Anakin didn't tell him that he was married, he wouldn't tell him that about Padme's pregnancy.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    You can't be certain that the suprise wasn't for the fact that Anakin never thought Padme could be saved from 'certain death'.

5. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Actually we can be. That, after all, was the whole point of the Legend of Darth Plagueis the Wise scene. It is clear to me that Anakin's surprise is that Palpatine knows he is married. And after all, why would Anakin tell him? Palpatine may be his friend but at the end of the day, both Anakin and Padme's careers would be ruined if the affair was revealed. I'm pretty sure that when Anakin suggests keeping the affair a secret he's using that word in its strictest sense. No one can be told, not even close friends. After all, Padme doesn't tell her close friends in the Senate about the marriage either. That's revealed in one of the ROTS deleted scenes.

6. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I read somewhere that Vader means father in A Galaxy, Far, Far, Away... Which then begs the question, did Sidious know Anakin had children? It is plausible, and the explanation for why Sidious did not search for the Offspring of Skywalker is that he knew Padme was dead and likely believed the children perished too (which was major assumption and risk he took).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    We know Anakin considers Palpatine as both a mentor and father figure, he clearly trusts him more than any of his Jedi piers with the exception of Obi-Wan yet he never tells Obi-Wan of his killing spree on Tatooine does he? Why would Anakin entrust the secrecy of such a serious crime to Palpatine yet keep to himself something that would prove embarrassing for all concerned. I can't see how Padme marrying a Jedi would be such a serious matter that would leave her career in ruins, it would be big news for a few weeks then forgotten as we've seen with such embarrassments to the likes of Bill Clinton in our world.

And for the Jedi the Tatooine massacre would be a crime the council couldn't overlook, marrying and having kids was afterall overlooked in Ki-Adi Mundi's unique case. There is also a chance that Obi-Wan suspects a relationship between Anakin and Padme, yet he does nothing. Padme even sugests that Anakin should turn to Obi-Wan for help yet again he turns to Palpatine.

During the Squid Lake scene its all about Palpatine slowly revealing about his true self, a little at a time whilst luring Anakin and building it up to the scene in the Chancellor's chambers later on. He mentions he has knowledge of Plagueis and his ability to create life from midichlorians and how that can be used to keep someone alive. But he never mentions at that time that he was Plagueis' apprentice and may be able to also save people from dying, only that as a leader he has educated himself on all belief's and religion's. Its later in the scene in Palpatine's chambers that he finally fully reveals himself and give Anakin an end to his nightmare, a nightmare Anakin had tried and for him unsuccessfully found an answer from the Jedi (Yoda).

Now its starts to dawn on Anakin but he's not thinking about saving Padme just about his duty as a Jedi. So when we get to.......
    Anakin suprise could be about either Palpatine knowing yet another secret about him but also and more reasonable that he can now save Padme.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    :D

Well, yeah, but Anakin should be able to pick this up through implication.

I'll reluctantly admit that it could be read this way but I certainly didn't read it that way. In fact, I hadn't even considered this interpretation until you suggested it today.

9. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Thats the beauty of SW, its purposely open to interpretation. I can't be 100% sure either answer is right but if that interpretation makes you enjoy the story then thats what counts. :cool:

Dak Oolron and Lord Chazza like this.
  10. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Yeah, I think the massacre would be an instant strikeout for being expelled. Then again, not being familiar with PT-era material besides the PT films (currently working through the novelizations), I don't have a good benchmark on what you have to do to get kicked out of the OJO.

Actually, in the Ep II novelization, Obi-Wan comes out and tells Mace before leaving for Kamino that Anakin is emotionally attached to Padme and thus should not have been assigned as her lone protector. Mace tells him that the Council is aware of that, and that the pairing is essentially a trial, though no-one bothers to tell Anakin he is being tested. True, people react differently when they know they're under scrutiny, but still, this seems like a REALLY high stakes gamble with the one the Council begrudgingly believes could be the Chosen One. Didn't they initially say he was "too old to begin the training?" ALL of the Council members are well-aware he has an order of magnitude more emotion (and much less control over it) than a Padawan of the same age who has been in the Order their whole life. "Hindsight is 20/20," but this seems like leaving a child in a room with a live grenade and seeing if they can figure out how to disarm it without blowing themselves up... without telling them what they're supposed to do. So, Obi Wan tried to stop it, but the Jedi Council didn't realize what they were doing by intentionally putting Anakin in a hard-to-resist situation. I guess wanting to believe he was "The Chosen One" blinded them to common sense that would've been used had he been "just another Jedi (Padawan)."

I have always loved RotS. And I really like how you laid out the build-up of Palpatine's final plans for Anakin. I can't wait to read the novelization! (I've heard it's a masterpiece.)

Django Fett likes this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    The way it's delivered in ROTS gave me the impression that Sidious pretty much pulled the name out of his ... thin air.

Dak Oolron and TX-20 like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    However, the evil grin on his face as he murmurs "Ironic - he could save others from death, but not himself" does seem like a hint that he knows Plagueis was real because he was the one that killed him.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I was talking about the naming of Vader.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Oops - I thought you were talking about Plagueis and saying Palpatine made him up.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  15. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    Henceforth, you shall be know as Darth <demonic gurgle> Vader <demonic wheeze>.

16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I always felt Sidious got the name because Vader was about to invade the Temple.

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Darth ... Hmm, let's see, eeny meeny miney mo ... Vader.

18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think you can be certain. The surprise could be about Palpatine knowing about his visions. It is absolutely unclear whether Anakin told anyone about his marriage, but it is very much as unclear what Anakin is surprised about. Going just by the scene, it would seem that the surprise is about Anakin's vision, as that is the far more shocking part to him. Yeah, he isn't supposed to be married, but someone finding out about it isn't the end of the world, they still would have each other. Padme dying, however, is his greatest fear and the one thing in his life that must not happen. Anakin being married is something that could just be an educated guess based on Anakin and Padme being relatively close, which is something Palpatine definately knows about. No matter how secretive you are, that is something people can find out about. A (seemingly) non-force user knowing about his visions - visions not even any other Jedi knows about - should be completely impossible. Unlike the marriage, this is something you shouldn't be able to find out unless Anakin tells you.

19. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    For great justice. :p

20. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Oissan We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    "Vader" was young Palpatine's sled.

22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    If you listen to the score during the naming scene its very ghostly, so my interpretation is that Palps could've been communicating with long dead Sith Lords.

darklordoftech and Dak Oolron like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Certainly the RoTS novel takes that approach:

Palpatine, talking about the Petition of Two Thousand:

"Their... sincerity... may be much to be admired," Palpatine said. "Or it would be, were it not that there was much more to that meeting than met the eye."
    Anakin frowned. "What do you mean?"
    "Their... petition... was nothing of the sort. It was, in fact a not-so-veiled threat." Palpatine sighed regretfully. "It was a show of force, Anakin. A demonstration of the political power the Jedi will be able to muster in support of their rebellion."
    Anakin blinked. "But—but surely—" he stammered, rounding Palpatine's desk, "surely Senator Amidala, at least, can be trusted..."
    "I understand how badly you need to believe that," the Chancellor said. "But Senator Amidala is hiding something. Surely you sensed it."
    "If she is—" Anakin swayed; the floor seemed to be tilting under his feet like the deck of Invisible Hand. "Even if she is," he said, his voice flat, overcontrolled, "it doesn't mean that what she is hiding is treason."
    Palpatine's brows drew together. "I'm surprised your Jedi insights are not more sensitive to such things."
    "I simply don't sense betrayal in Senator Amidala," Anakin insisted.
    Palpatine leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers, studying Anakin skeptically. "Yes, you do," he said after a moment. "Though you don't want to admit it. Perhaps it is because neither you nor she yet understands that by betraying me, she is also betraying you.''
    "She couldn't—" Anakin pressed a hand to his forehead; his dizziness was getting worse. When had he last eaten? He couldn't remember. It might have been before the last time he'd slept. "She could never..."
    "Of course she could," Palpatine said. "That is the nature of politics, my boy. Don't take it too personally. It doesn't mean the two of you can't be happy together."
    "What—?" The room seemed to darken around him. "What do you mean?"
    "Please, Anakin. Are we not past the point of playing childish games with one another? I know, do you understand? I have always known. I have pretended ignorance only to spare you discomfort."
    Anakin had to lean on the desk. "What—what do you know?"
    "Anakin, Padme was my Queen; I was her ambassador to the Senate. Naboo is my home. You of all people know how I value loyalty and friendship; do you think I have no friends among the civil clergy in Theed? Your secret ceremony has never been secret. Not from me, at any rate. I have always been very happy for you both."
    "You—" Words whirled through Anakin's mind, and none of them made sense. "But if she's going to betray us—"
    "That, my boy," Palpatine said, "is entirely up to you."

Lord Chazza likes this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    It's also possible that Sidious was a professional wrestling fan.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Its a pity instead of babbling on "ive been waiting for you Obi-Wan the circle is now complete" etc...in ANH he didn't just come out a say ITS VADER TIME!!! [face_laugh]

MOC Yak Face and TX-20 like this.