main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When are you getting the Limited Edition version DVDs?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jcoolZombie, Sep 11, 2006.

?

When are you getting the Limited Edition version DVDs?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2006.
  1. I'm not getting them!

66.7%
  2. Christmas / Birthday(if applicable)

19.0%
  3. Midnight - 3 AM

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Rather off-topic, but:

I've seen the OOT DVDs for sale as single DVDs as opposed to a set. Anyone know if this is going to be the case for the OT-SEs anytime soon?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a laserdisc player, the boxed (widescreen!) laserdisc set from way back when, and I finally purchased a DVD recorder for the TV. Guess what I'll be doing?

It's really sad when an outdated medium like the laserdisc looks better than a DVD from 2006.

3. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I got them all the day they came out. Circuit City had 'em for 14 bucks and that rocked, so I got 'em. It was actually a good thing because I never bought the 2004 DVD's. I knew they'd be coming out with the Original versions and I was right. So I'm happy I waited.

No wasted money. lol

4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004

It's really sad when an outdated medium like the laserdisc looks better than a DVD from 2006.

How do you figure that? Any DVD looks better than a laserdisc. Even a non ananmorphic one is gonna look better.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I willing to buy more of the updated 0-0T Movies. Why are alot of people having a BF about the classics? Didn't we want the Orignal Realses on DVD.[face_thinking] :confused:

EDIT: Besides I am willing to own all three versions of the flims. From Origanl, 97 ,04, but too bad they did not release the 97 version, but Oh well. No biggy :)

6. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Lucas can keep his contempt-filled scraps.

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^Whst does that mean?

I'd like a seamless branching version that combines the 97, 2004 and OT versions like what they did with the LOTR disks this year.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    If they are going have the whole Saga in a Box editon will there be more added features in the films?:confused:

9. ThisGuns4Hire

ThisGuns4Hire Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    As I stated in the official thread on these releases, I was a big nay-sayer when I found out they were non-anamorphic laserdisc master rips, and my opinion was bolstered by the reports that came in from Comic-Con regarding the presentation by Sansweet. But I had 16 bucks to waste, so I bought STAR WARS and was really pleasantly surprised at the general quality of the image(certainly better than any unofficial version seen up to this point). It was wonderful to see the film with it's original color scheme back intact, and it's a pleasure not to have to stick my fingers in my ears and say "Lalalalalala" like I did whenever SE idiocy like wacky Mos Eisley Jawas and robots, Solo stepping on Jabba's tail, and Greedo's shooting popped up in the '04 DVD's.

Based on my favorable reaction to SW, I went and purchased EMPIRE. And while not as happy with the overall product as I was with the SW disc(Most of Hoth before the big battle and several scenes outside of Cloud City range in quality from decent to horrible), I have no regrets about the purchase, as it renders that "Alert ay Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" chop-job horsecrap to little more than an inconvenient memory. Of course, I'm watching them on a 61 inch standard projection monitor....I'm sure if my only options were an HD or LCD monitor, I'd be far less charitable considering the non-animorphic issue.

I'll probably pass on Jedi, since 1.) I have a version that approximates the original cut), and 2.)Anakin Christensen, Beaky McSarlaac, The Max Weinberg 7 in Jabba's Palace and The Zamfir concert on Endor isn't really enough to further damage a film that, IMO, is middling in the first place. But for those who are on the fence about this release, my recommendation would be to buy the original film and let your judgement of it lead you in your decision regarding the following two.

10. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I saw the individual disc in Target. The packages are nice and have the same color scheme as the big extended box sets. If its just offering more behind the scenes footage and a cool 3D picture on the box, I cant afford it considering I have the extendeds with about as much extras I wanna see already.

I remember wanting to make a video tape of the OT that ran continuously like one movie. Minus Empire and Jedis crawl, the film would just roll on, most likely having the transition from Esb to Rotj being the most seemless being that the continuation to the story is much closer than ANH is to ESB. It would have been a hot mess with that big you-just-pressed-record line wiggling down the screen every time the next movie started but I would have watched it. Never got the second VCR.

11. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm not. I'm slightly tempted to ask for the Wal-Mart graphic novel/DVD set deal they have fpr Christmas, but I could get something new instead. I have nothing against the DVD's that came out a couple years ago.

12. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Butt Edit: Discuss the films, not the fans.

13. VyndAcharon

VyndAcharon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2006
    Unlikely, as almost every frame was altered for the 2004 release. It cannot be reconciled with the original version just by cutting away whenever a CGI monster waddles into the frame.

14. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    That's one way of looking at it. Or you could say you're getting the original theatrical (i.e. - real) versions of the films and as a bonus you get a free decorative collector's edition Star Wars drink coaster with each movie.

15. TCG

TCG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2005
    no thanks. i'd rather spend the $60+ on 7 Samurai: SE, Gojira: SE, and Apocalypse Now: SE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.