main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When Bail Organa sent Leia...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mandalorian_Warrior, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm assuming Bail knows Luke is on Tatooine with ObiWan. So it raises the question, when Bail sends Leia to Tatooine with the death star plans to get Obi Wan, does Luke factor into that decision? Does he consider the possibility of Luke getting involved and meeting Leia?

Discuss. Please no episode 3 spoilers (obv)

2. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    i doubt Bail knows luke is on tantooine

3. Ludicrous_Speed

Ludicrous_Speed Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    I wsn't sure that they were going to tattoine. I always thought they were on the way to yavin before the empire attacked them. i just thought the escape pod ended up there as a simple twist of fate, i.e. the will of the force.

Edit: the message was for Kenobi who was on tattoine. When was the message made?If during the attack my opinion still holds some water? If not, did Bail Organa tell her where to find obi wan?

Why did she wait to load the message into R2?

ow, I have a headache....

4. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    She was on her way to Tattooine t give the message to Obi-Wan Kenbi. I don't know if Bail knew if Luke was there or not, or if he even sent her there.

Slimy!

5. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I think it's obvious that Bail knows why Ben lives on Tatooine: to watch over Luke.

But I don't think he considers that Luke might be an advantage to the mission, rather a risk.

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The Tantive IV was not on its way to Tatooine!

It was attacked by the star destroyer and whilst under attack Leia hid the stolen DS plans on R2 knowing he was on Tatoojne so as not to let DV get the plans

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Right... I would guess, with her high-up connections in the Rebellion, Leia knew Obi-Wan (to her, just an old general who had helped her adopted father...) was on Tatooine, where fate had landed her ship, and decided the best thing was to try to get the plans to him. He, then, could return the plans to Alderaan even if she herself were held captive...

8. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed."

Um.. Yes it was on its way to Tatooine.

9. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    That quote really bothers me... This whole 'diplomatic mission' to retrieve Obi-Wan and help battle the empire is really interesting. An old jedi like Obi-Wan wouldn't make too much difference in the fight against the empire at this point, but is it possible that Bail wanted Obi-Wan on Alderaan so he could begin training Leia as a jedi? [face_thinking]

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    And we've seen Obi-Wan serve Bail in the "Clone Wars" just as we saw that Yoda was "the" Jedi master who instructed Obi-Wan...

But honestly, I think Bail was really just recruiting Obi-Wan to come out of hiding and join the Rebellion (especially since I don't think Lucas really came up with the twins thing until he was writing ROTJ; I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the whole Vader being Luke's father thing though).

11. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    It's a mystery to me how old Ben would be of any use to Bail, but at least it explains why the droids end up on Tatooine, which would otherwise be a tremendous coincidence.

12. Windy_Matt

Windy_Matt Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2005
    Perhaps the message from Bail would be a signal to Obi-Wan to end his watch over Luke and begin training him?

Leia wouldn't know about Luke, and therefore may not understand Obi's use to her father, but it's possible that the original plan was that when the right time came, Obi would spirit Luke away from tatooine to Alderaan or another location to begin his Jedi training .

Obviously the death star's attack on Alderaan made fundamental changes to this plan.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In the Radio Drama, Bail does instruct Leia to retrieve Obi-wan after she recovers the Death Star plans from the Toprawa system.

After they escape from Toprawa, the Devastator manages to follow them to Tatooine where they fall under attack, thus preventing a quiet retrieval of Kenobi- who I think would have brought Luke as well.

14. Gemini9857

Gemini9857 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    We won't know if he knew Luke was there until May 19th, or GL may leave us hanging, but it's possible that he knew Obi-Wan was there.

15. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    It's not "possible", it's a fact in ANH.

16. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Whose to say that Bail even knows that Luke exists? Perhaps he thinks Ben is simply in hiding on Tatooine as Yoda is on Dagobah? Tatooine is remot and Vader would have no need to ever return there. There's nothing for him to return to. He's not exactly close to his step-brother.

~ Crystal ~

17. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I watched ANH today and really analyzed this scene for the first time. After the message Obi Wan pauses slightly, then turns to Luke and says he must learn the force if he is to come with him to Alderaan. He also says "they need your help, she needs your help", referring to his siter, and comments thats hes getting too old. It makes me wonder if its Obiwan assessing the situation, and seeing this as the rebellion(Bail's) signal to get Luke and get going. Its really not a big deal, just an idea.

18. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    Yeah, it's all coming together...

I wonder what Owen's reaction would be, if he hadn't died.

19. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I know no one has yet, but just in case this could quicklylead into spoiler material whether Bail knows Luke is on Tattoine or not. Let's not look into so much.

Let's say he does know(and I have no idea), I think he is def. going to get Obi-Wan as well as Luke.

20. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    <<Whose to say that Bail even knows that Luke exists?>>

Watch episode III

21. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Its difficult to answer this without drawing upon Ep3 spoilers as reference.

Suffice to say, Yeah, Bail's decesion DOES factor with Luke and Leia. Rest assured.

22. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    ummm the title of the movie is "a new hope"

i think it is pretty clear that luke is the new hope.

whether or not bail intended for luke to come with obi wan no one will know, but i think the message as well as the radio drama make it clear that bail wanted to enlist obi wan's help.

who knows he may have even wanted to contact ben to see how things were coming along training the only remaining person in the galaxy who could challange vader and the emperor... luke.

but here's a different question:

why in the world does bail organa send out the daughter of anakin skywalker for such a high profile mission. it almost goes w/o saying that vader or the emperor himself would be trying to stop the plans from getting to the rebels....

why send such a powerful weapon/victom into the hands of vader.

just imagine how different things would have been had vader stopped for a moment and felt the force of leia.... he would have rocked her or taken her as an apprentice... seems like such a risk for the alliance... why not send someone else????

23. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    I'm not sure he knows Luke is on Tatooine. There was no reason for him too, he was just the caretaker of Leia. Maybe he figured that Obi-Wan would get Luke.

24. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Episode III will put that theory to rest. Trust me. ;)

25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yup. There's utterly no way to explain this further without crossing over into Forbidden Spoiler Land, but trust us...Bail knows ALL about Luke there on Tatooine.

Listen to the ANH radio drama for more on Obi-Wan's role in things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.