main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When changing the signal coming from the temple...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LilBastardAnakin, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBastardAnakin

LilBastardAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    Yoda sez it will take a long time for the clones to figure out the signal was changed from come back and "get killed by clones" to stay the heck away from here. If the clones wont discover the signal change for a long time why not change it to , lets have all jedi meet up someplace and make a big assault against Palpatine in the senate or in his office?

Ok now some of you are gonna say because too many clones around etc...............

Fact is Yoda got right in to see him before their duel, a well organized assault with many Jedi including Yoda would have maybe got the job done. It woulda been worth a try instead of Yoda alone going against him and all the extra clones hanging around, not to mention better than just leaving the remaining scattered Jedi hanging out all over the galaxy waiting to be hunted down.

2. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I didn't get the impression that the signal was that elabourate.
    I presumed it was either a coded beacon calling them to Coruscant or warning them to stay way.
    A full-on assualt by the Jedi would simply confirm Palpatine's claims.

3. Salacious_Spock

Salacious_Spock Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2005
    According to my mate who's read some Star Wars books, it was basically a nice little plot device to keep the EU open and not have it conflict with the events of the films..

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Keep in mind that they weren't entirely sure that there were any other Jedi who survived Order 66. Yoda knew he only had one chance to act and it had to be right away, while the Empire presumed he was dead. He couldn't wait to secretly draw an army to Coruscant. It would have taken too long, allowed the Empire to tighten their defenses, and would probably have drawn Palpatine's attention long before they were ready.

5. DarthsDeli

DarthsDeli Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2004
    Would of made a great added scen and given an excuse to see suited Vader in action maybe. I bet Vader wasnt capable of fighting for a few months with his new limbs yet though till he adjusted. All the more reason they should have tried a last attack asap.

6. UltimateObi-Wan_987

UltimateObi-Wan_987 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    Sure. Okay, here's Yoda's message: Everyone meet on (insert planet) 4 days from now so we can devise a plot to destroy the Emporer.

I think what Yoda meant in that scene was that it would take the Storm Troopers a long time to get the signal fixed so that it broadcast the general retreat again. I would think the Empire would have ways of listening to their own transmissions. When they heard the new message, you have to know they would be on high alert and kill any Jedi that came together for the assault.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not like that. It has, as I understand, a few commands programmed into it's 'hard drive'. One is all Jedi come home. Another is run and hide. Obi-wan and Yoda didn't know if any Jedi were alive and rather than a suicide mission, they decided to scatter to the four winds. Anyone still alive, could be dealt with later, when the time comes.

In the eu, there's a few Jedi, but not all of them got the singal. Their comlinks and tracking devices were either damaged or shut of. Those who had functioning comlinks, went underground, but were found by the Empire and it's agents.

8. Somnambulist_ZZZ

Somnambulist_ZZZ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    It would make the Jedi appear even worse, if that were possible, if they were to suddenly open war on the Supreme Chancellor and now newly crowned Emperor. They have no case going for them, and nearly the entire Senate is against them to begin with.

That being said, yeah it's cool to think about, imagining suited Vader fighting, but that's about it. Just picturing it.

9. DarthsDeli

DarthsDeli Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2004
    Get_in_Gear posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I didn't get the impression that the signal was that elabourate.
    I presumed it was either a coded beacon calling them to Coruscant or warning them to stay way.
    A full-on assualt by the Jedi would simply confirm Palpatine's claims.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

LMAO... At this point who cares about confirming Palpys claims
    its all about survival for the jedi, which the order does not survive basically. they should of went for it

10. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    Who cares about confirming the Palpatine's claims?
    Well, the Jedi - seeing as how those claims were about them.

That is how the Emperor won - he got public opinion on his side.
    The Jedi were boxed in, the only way they could win was to fight - exactly what Palpatine wanted.
    IMHO, that is part of the reason Yoda walks out on the Palpatine fight - he is becoming the very thing Palpatine claimed the Jedi were in the Senate.

Palpatine is a Sith, but he is now also the supreme governing body in the Galaxy.
    He is "right" - he has law on his side.
    The Jedi are now "wrong" - they are outside the law, and they would basically be wresting control of the galaxy from the Sith by unlawful means.
    Ultimately, would that make them any better than the Sith?
    Yoda hoped that he and Obi could nip it in the bud with two private and immediate confrontations.
    He realised that even that was the wrong way.
    That was essentially the "last ditch attempt" that this thread refers to, waiting around for Jedi (who may or may not be alive) to respond to a beacon and pinning your hopes on that is simply not a viable option at that time.

This was a delicate time for the galaxy, the Jedi would achieve little stability by waging war on the newly-appointed, and popular Emperor.
    Maybe that is part of what he realises in the Senate rotunda.

"To a dark place, this line of thought could lead us..."

11. mjp

mjp Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    In reply to DS's comment: Jedi should be capable of programming a new signal into the machine in case it had only pre-formatted messages.

Yoda is definitely wise not to confront Palpatine again so soon. He has experienced his powers, and calling for a mass attack would mean risking the future of the Jedi. In making the decision he chose, Yoda is able to overthrow Palpatine in the very end. He always knows that waiting will improve his chances.
    Also, keep in mind that Mace's companions get slaughtered within seconds, despite them being Jedi masters. Yoda must feel that numbers alone won't be a deciding factor in a fight with the emperor.

12. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    In reply to DS's comment: Jedi should be capable of programming a new signal into the machine in case it had only pre-formatted messages.

You would think the jedi had a secret meeting place, not to mention code to get them there to assemble for such emergencies The order is being wiped out would maybe be a good time to use it...lol

Knowing Obi Wan and how he drinks Im a bit surprised he didnt change the code to say, "KEGGER AT OWEN LARS PLACE ON TATOOINE"

This would have not only assembled all the jedi together as fast as possible but would explain why Owen hates him so much later.

13. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    It was probably more importantly used so Jedi could appear in the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series set inbetween ROTS and ANH starring minor characters and probably completely new characters.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A live action series is still eu, no matter how you slice it. That said, there was no proof that there was any Jedi alive. Yoda and Obi-wan wanted to make sure that if there's any survivors, they're protected until they've destroyed the Sith. If they could. After that, they had no choice but to take the twins into hiding and wait. Bail was going to organize a resistance to fight the Empire. The Jedi were going to wait and trust the Force to give them the signal. It came in the form of Leia's attempt to pick up Obi-wan, which failed, but she was able to get the droids involved. Which in turn got Luke involved and brought them all together.

15. mjp

mjp Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    You would think the jedi had a secret meeting place, not to mention code to get them there to assemble for such emergencies The order is being wiped out would maybe be a good time to use it...lol

Considering Obi Wan's line in ANH "For over a thousand generations..." I wonder if the Jedi ever even thought of the possibility of being declared enemies of the Republic. Or, to quote Yoda, "The Dark Side clouds everything"...

16. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Actually it remains to be seen if the Live Action TV Series is going to be G-Level Canon since there has never been a Star Wars Live Action TV Series but it will probably be considered C-level Canon. I don't think GL would have put that scene in if he did not want to include Jedi in the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series. Also if to many Jedi gathered in one place the Sith could sense them easier and find and kill them. In KOTOR 2 multiple Jedi gathered on Visas Marr's planet which was called Marluka I think and they along with everyone on the planet were killed by the Sith except Visas Marr.

17. Fanskar

Fanskar Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2003
    "Feel the corillian ale flow through you"

Force keg-stand FTW [face_dancing]

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's also likely that they didn't want to do anything rash until they better understood what was going on. Plus, they wanted to take out the SIth right there and then, not wait.

19. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Well Anakin is/was a Jedi. It's a safe bet that he's aware of most, if not all, of the secret codes, network of secret supporters, and emergency meeting places in case everything goes to hell. So about the only thing Obi-Wan could do is tell everyone to cut and run; plan it around the idea that it might take them longer to meet and develop a plan, but at least they'd be alive.

20. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    It would make more sense if it's just a general coding system
    when you either set an SOS for Jedi to come to help or a danger
    signal to stay away. I doubt it could get any more specific.

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I suppose that Sidious and new Vader assumed Obi-Wan died on Utapau and thus they would have not suspected not only did he return to Coruscant, but he reversed the signal such that Jedi would stay away.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As short as that was, it's pretty accurate. Neither Sith Lord forsaw the possibility of Jedi survivors getting past the Clonetroopers outside of the Temple, killing those inside who were organizing the bodies for identifcation and make the necessary changes, to try and save any survivors out there.

23. n00bian

n00bian Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2005
    :oops: Where can one go to find more info on these "canon levels" of which you speak?

24. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999

Wikipedia: Star Wars Canon

25. Iter

Iter Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2005
    And Yoda says on his deathbed in Return of the Jedi: "Luke... When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."

As much as I like the EU, Yoda stamps it down pretty good right there. Of course you might say he wouldn't know being on dagobah all those years, but in ESB he said he had watched Luke a long time, so I feel like in 20 years he would've been able to reach out in the Force and find any remaining Jedi. Or maybe there were some that survived Order 66, but died for other reasons before RotJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.