main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did C-3PO work on Binary Loadlifters?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Leialong, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leialong

Leialong Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    So, when did c3p0 work on those binary loadlifters he talks to owen about? If we are to assume he had his memory erased, does this mean he worked on binary loadlifters right after that happened or was this portion of his memory from before kept intact? If that is the case, was it Anakin's binary loadlifter he worked on or the Lars'? Perhaps he worked on a binary loadlifter on the Lars farm because that was an older version of the 'new fangled' moisture evaporator Owen wants him to understand. Hmmmmm. It's all very puzzling.

And, I'm sure it's been discussed before, but what is the general opinion about R2's memory? Are we to assume he truly doesnt remember Obiwan and viceversa? Easy to skeedaddle the memory of a droid, I'm sure, but not so w/ the master jedi. Was Obi just 'joshin' when he says: 'I don't recall ever owning a droid' all the while truly recognizing the little blue guy of yore?

2. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I wonder: when exactly do these characters say they don't remember each other?

3. Leialong

Apr 26, 2005
    PTHTHTHST (annoyed sound made with lips)

That's too easy. Of course he didnt OWN the droid but are we to just figure that he is being purposely vague to 'fool' young feathered hair or he truly isnt remembering him?

4. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    oops. sorry, I edited my post so your reply doesn't make much sense now.

are we to just figure that he is being purposely vague to 'fool' young feathered hair or he truly isnt remembering him?

Since it is never explained: whatever suits you best.

5. Wewbacca_the_chookie

Wewbacca_the_chookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    EV Edit: Diolouge from the movie = spoiler. See ya in a bit good sir.

6. Leialong

Apr 26, 2005
    Dang, I hate it when they release the dialogue before I see the movie, don't you?

Oh well, it sounds like they really worked to please the fans, god bless them.

7. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I think C3PO was reprogrammed to believe he worked on load lifters after his memory wipe . I think the droids stay with Captain antilles on the Tantive. until ANH?

8. Railinalduhs

Railinalduhs Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2005
    Actually you need to break it down. Load and Lifter. What was 3PO saying? He was saying, he used to load things, and lift things. Certainly he had done that many times before. Healso worked on one farm, with one cobra. When it stung his eye. He needed to go to one hospital. But the point really is, do the evaporaters have those? If so, he could life them as ususal.

Now as far as Old Ben. he and Obi Wan were two different people. One was Allec Guiness and one is Euen McGregor. So it is easy to assume Allec doies not remember the droids becasue he was not in the first movies.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't know what a binary loadlifter is, but it is probably what he was doing on the Tantive IV up until it is captured by Vader in ANH. This is the only explanation that makes any sense to me. Maybe a binary loadlifter is something the Tantive IV uses to load and unload supplies.

10. Leialong

Apr 26, 2005
    that makes perfect sense, Railin. Ewen was the one he knew R2, not Alec. That clears up that part for sure.

11. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    I've always argued that R2's memory is intact throughout the saga. I believe 3PO, on the other hand, is reprogrammed or has his memory wiped. As far as loadlifters go, perhaps 3PO works on them or is programmed to think he has.

12. Plo_Koen

May 23, 2001
    I agree, R2 should not get a memory wipe.

13. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>It was a pickup shot in Sydney they did last month. Hopefully included on the DVD of ROTS.<<
    It is.
    I got the DVDrip with added commentaries and deleted scenes. D/l'd it yesterday.

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    We may never know, because it's unimportant and uninteresting. Seriously, it's programming binary load lifters. You wouldn't want watching somebody programming their VCR in the middle of the biggest action sequence ever, do you?

If we do learn, all the better, but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything.

Labyrinth of Evil had a line where a protocol droid tells 3PO to accept a memory wipe if he's ever offered one :D

EDIT: Oh, and, don't post in all-caps. Ever.

15. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    He worked on them "as his first job". Between the trilogies I guess.

A beter question is why would anyone buy a Protocol droid just to have it program forklifts?

16. conaywitchaizze

conaywitchaizze Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    The better question is, how could a protocol do a load lift for sector 12? All of here are aware that sector 12 was prohibited for any droid and yet, Elmer and Owen did not care. Take that, and you will have the true identity of Vaders plan. Why wipe, when you can? The point is, so I guess.

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Twas probably his first job after getting a memory wipe, as far as he knew, he was a brand new droid then.

18. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I used to think that his first job was always probramming binary load lifters , since Anakin says that he built him to help out shimi. Now if shimi worked with machinery watto had, the droid would be useful.

But after the ep3 visual dictionary says that 3PO recieves his memory wipe, his first job is programming binary load lifters.

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    TJ is more right than anyone. C-3PO probably did it sometime between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

20. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I think programming as well as interpereting would be a skill c3po could/would have after the memory wipe. If he does stay on the Tantive he would likely have other duties such as " Programming binary loadlifters, They have to put cargo on the ship somehow. why do it yourself when you can get the droid to. makes sense also?

21. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    What is "Sector 12"?

22. conaywitchaizze

Apr 28, 2005
    Sector 12 is prohibited for droids. It is the one sector they were not allowed to go near on Taintowing.

23. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Taintowing.

I'm sorry, what?

24. conaywitchaizze

Apr 28, 2005
    No need to apologize. This is where Luke grew up. Also the home of Jabba. The home of Obi Wan after ROTS.

25. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Luke grew up on Tatooine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.