main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did it Happen?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Nagle, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Nagle

Darth_Nagle Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Ok I've seen so many sites saying the movies take place 32 YBBE (Years Before Battle of Endor) or in the book series 5 ABE (After Battle of Endor). But now you guys gotta tell me something:

When does this take place? Does it take place in the past or future? (I said past because the line does say 'Long Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away). In other words....What year is it!?

2. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    i think of it as a fairy tale. it never really happened. so there is no year.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    Therefore it is clear that it is in another galaxy in our past.

A futuristic society, a civilization that is very technologically advanced which existed long ago in another region of the universe.

Most of all, as it has been said, this is a fairy tale. We aren't meant to over analyze where and when it took place. Just accept and enjoy.

-Seldon

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" doesnt literally refer to any timeline. Its a rephrasing of "once upon a time". Its whatever you want it to be--past, future, present.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    zombie, it isn't that open.
    A lot can be assumed, but it did take place long ago.

-Seldon

6. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

Exerts from the Journal of the Whills, on which the saga is based was found in a comet by George Lucas in the early 1970s.

Scientists date the comet as being over 1700 years old and from an unknown planet, probably from outide our galaxy.

Draw your own conclusions.

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Actually, it is completely open. "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away"= "Once upon a time". That is obvious. The fact that it is presented as a fairy tale like that leaves it open--the language is symbolic, not literal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.