main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did Obi-Wan find out Vader survived Mustafar?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arutha2321, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arutha2321

Arutha2321 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    I remember that in Last of the Jedi series, he already knew but it was never revealed how he found out.

What was his reaction?

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    He was sitting in a cantina and heard a spacer talking about it. He was shocked. (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader)

3. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    dark lord: the rise of darth vader. obi nearly fainted in the mos eisley cantina.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, it's the last scene in Dark Lord. He's sitting in a cantina on Tatooine, relaxing, chilling out, having a drink... then on the news is this man in black armour, stepping out of a shuttle... and they announce that it is Lord Vader. Obi-Wan freaks. He cranks the volume up IIRC, then freaks completely when they say "Lord Vader" again and he realises that, nope, he didn't die. Oh kark, oh kark, oh kark.

5. Arutha2321

Apr 26, 2009
    Sounds good. I need to get that book. :)

6. Arutha2321

Apr 26, 2009
    And BTW, how many people know that Vader is Anakin by the beginning of ANH? There is Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine and Vader himself. Maybe R2. What about Tarkin? Did he know? Or Owen and Beru?

7. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tarkin and some of Palpatine's closest advisors that survived from the Clone Wars knew. Owen and Beru are iffy. They might know which is why Owen doesn't want Luke off of Tatooine, the galaxy has no need for two people who go around destroying stuff like Vader does. Or they could've just been fed the line that Anakin died during his duties as a Jedi, and they care for him enough to protect him away from even having that chance. R2 knows, but doesn't say anything to anyone about his knowledge of past events until after the DNT.

8. BabyGreedo38

BabyGreedo38 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2007
    I don't remember the actual dialog, but I think it's clear during ANH that Tarkin knows Vader has major history with Obi-Wan and a score to settle.

9. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    It's said in The New Essential Chronology that Owen and Beru knew that Anakin is Vader. Bail Organa is also one of the few prior to the OT who knew about Vader's identity.

I don't recall Tarkin knowing about it.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Vader and Tarkin have a few scenes together in Dark Lord. If I recall correctly, Tarkin isn't aware who Vader actually is, but he is at least very interested in Vader, which goes toward the ANH scene that the pair simply were old acquaintances who'd worked together for years. Tarkin needn't necessarily know his identity, however.

11. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    If I'm remembering right Deathstar makes it clear Tarkin doesn't know for sure but suspects he might be Anakin Skywalker.

12. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    That's it...sometime around 18 BBY if you need a year, so not long after Mustafar.

13. wawa00s

wawa00s Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2010
    He found out and almost went nuts at the Cantina on Tatooine.I think it was the Rise of Darth Vader..He had just placed Luke in the care of Owen and his Aunt..I can't remember how to spell her name...And Owen was related to Anakin how exactly..I thought Anakin was an only child..Maybe Anakins mothers..brother and if so how in the galaxy could Owen sit by and allow his sister to by enslaved by a flying ant-eater looking slug..and then to be violated by all those sand people before she finally get rescued by Anakin just before she gives up on life...?
    WOW...A lil' off the topic sorry....
    Anyway ObiWan went a bit crazy and the operator of the Cantina had to basically tell him that if he doesn't want to draw more attention then he needs to take it down a whole lot of notches...
    Good book just wish that they would give us more looks at Vader's early years....

14. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    To answer the questions in the above post:

1. Her name's spelled 'Beru'. As in, 'Beru Whitesun Lars'. ;)

2. Owen's father Cliegg Lars married Shmi Skywalker, Anakin's mother, making the two of them stepbrothers. ;)

15. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Courtesy of Episode II. Which over-wrote the previous explanation in the novelization of Episode VI, where the spirit of Obi-Wan explains to Luke that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother.

That was later retconned so that Obi-Wan did in fact have a brother named Owen (courtesy of a Jedi Apprentice book I believe).

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep. The Hidden Past. Obi-wan remembers that he had a brother named Owen while the local government is trying to mindwipe him.

Weird that I remember that, since I haven't read the book in 9 or 10 years.

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The question reminds of the merging of Father Skywalker and Darth Vader...
    When did Sir Alec find out? lol

18. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    Our old buddy Ferus also learns about Vader's identity. Jax Pavan knows Anakin is alive, but I'm not sure if he finishes making the connection in Patterns of Force. Typho almost figures it out, as well, but he doesn't get to tell anyone about it... I think Xizor figured it out too. Anyone else I'm missing?

19. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Don't forget, Tag & Bink also know :p Well, at least they know Anakin went all Sithy.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Tag and Bink!!

How could I forget Yoda's all-time-favorite learners.

21. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Let me settle this for you- Pavan does indeed make the connection. Got all three Coruscant Nights books out from the local library. ;)

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The 501st knew...

He was unsuited Lord Vader as they marched on the Temple.
    And they served under suited Lord Vader shortly thereafter.

23. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Xizor knows, having been present at the Emperor's end for that talk about the 'Son of Skywalker' we see in ESB- or has he already been listed?

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I believe so... on him being mentioned already.
    And how *convenient* that Xizor was there to hear, or was it... *appropriate*?
    :p

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Tarkin knew by A New Hope.

"Obi Wan Kenobi?"
    "I felt a tremor in the force. The last time I felt it, it was in the presence of my old master."
    "So, you were a student with Anakin Skywalker huh? Man, I remember that kid. What a whiner."
    "..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.