main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did Obi-Wan graduate from Knight to Master to Council Member?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Richard-Drahcir, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    Has it been confirmed when Obi-Wan made the transition from Knight to Master and then to Council Member?

In the Clone Wars cartoon Obi-Wan is already a Master on the Council when Anakin is promoted from Padawan. As he sits in his chair he says "May I suggest we promote my Padawan to full Knight status."

But to be a Master a Knight must successfuly train his Padawan to Knight status. Later he'd be on the council.

So was Obi-Wan given a double promotion when still Anakin's Master because it seems as if Obi-Wan should have become a Master when Anakin became a Knight but based on the cartoon that didn't happen.

Does anyone know what happened?

2. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    That is confusing I never thought of that.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

3. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    Where does it say that a Jedi must train his padawan to knight status to become a Master? What about Qui-Gon? He was a Master while Obi-Wan was a padawan.

Remember that the clone wars cartoon and novels are EU. The movies dont have to coincide with anything but themselves. (and sometimes don't even manage that.)

4. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes but Qui-Gon was twice Obi-Wan's age at his death so he probably had another apprentice.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    It was wartime. Obi-wan might have been promoted early to fill the spot of a killed master.

6. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    For the same sort of reason that Anakin was promoted. Obi-Wan and the rest of the council were delinquent a few council members since AotC. Obi-Wan being a good knight was promoted.

7. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Obviously, Obi-Wan became a master during the Clone Wars between Eps 2 and 3. and HE EARNED IT!

8. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

There was probably much more turnover on the Council because of the war. They looked at who would be the next in line, and voted Obi-Wan on.

Carnage

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Training an apprenctice to knighthood is one of several ways to becoming a Master. Maybe Obi Wan was given Master status when he was put on the council.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The cartoons are considered canon. After Anakin had qualified for becoming a Knight, Obi-wan was bumped up to being a Master. Qui-gon was a Jedi Master from previously.

11. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Padawans may become Jedi Knights once they have completed the trials - physical and mental tests. They can also jump to this status after performing an extrordinary act such as when Obi-Wan Kenobi, whom was close to completeing his training and was ready for the trials, defeated Darth Maul.

A Jedi Knight may become a Master, upon appointment and approval of the Jedi Council, after showing great understanding of the Force. A Jedi Knight may also become a Master after successfully training a Padawan learner to Knight status. The rank can also be achieved through the performance of extraordinary acts, much like the possible step from Padawan to Knight.

Kenobi became a Knight in TPM after defeating Darth Maul. He became a Master before ROTS due to his experience, knowledge of the Force and successful training of Anakin Skywalker.

Although, should his ascension be due to the latter, one might think that Yoda would rescind that stauts after ROTS!

:)

12. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    And I suppose after Count Dooku turned, Yoda should have lost his status, too, by that reasoning. (At least it's been said that Yoda trained Count Dooku. May not be true. EU?)

13. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    In the EU(which I Know not canon) Obiwan got promoted after Depa Bilaba(sp), the indian-looking female council member from AOTC) went mental on Haruun Kal, and ended up in a coma. Also remeber you do not have to be a Master to be on the council, Ki-Adi Mundi was a Knight in TPm and a temporary council member at the same time according to his databank entry on the Official site. Obiwan could well have been a temporay council member while still a knight during the early part of the clone wars,(I'm sure a few seats were open after Genosis) and then after Anakin was promoted to Knight they promoted Obiwan to master and give him a permanent seat(while Yoda and Mace were the wisest and most powerful on the council obiwan was the most accomplished knight in the order)

14. Mace_Windolene

Mace_Windolene Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    But that negates Anakin's statement in RotS:

"What kind of nonsense is this, put me on the Council and not make me a Master!?? That's never been done in the history of the Jedi."

15. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004

YES which means that all Council Members, upon appointment to the Council, must have all been Jedi Masters at the time of promotion.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan wasn't on the Council until after he came back from a mission that he went on, just before Anakin was sent to Prestylin. Before Anakin got back, Obi-wan had arrived home and was informed of his Padawan's status. He was given a seat on the Council. Anakin returned to Courscant and was promoted as seen in Chapter 21 of the Clone Wars cartoon series.

Yoda kept his Master status, same as Obi-wan, after the Jedi Purge.

17. ObiWan-Ben

ObiWan-Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2005
    That is an interesting point. Obi-Wan was strong with the force, a war hero, and a well-known general. If that did not earn him his seat on Jedi Council I do not know what did. George Lucas decided that it was time for Obi-Wan to take his seat on the Jedi Council. :)

18. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    No I'm just wondering if Obi-Wan advanced to Master at the same time as Anakin became a Knight and then later got onto the Council.

I wasn;t sure if Obi-Wan was upped from Knight to Council Member in one go or if he was given time as a Master for a while before taking his chance on the Council.

19. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    The movies don't say how it happened, we have only EU and that conflicts because of different writers making their own stories as to how it happened. I guess we'll never know if he was made a master a little while before joining the council, or if it happened all at once. Being as the Jedi were so busy with the Clone Wars and all, it probably more than likely happened at the same time. Anakin being made a Knight, Obi-Wan being made a Master and appointed to the council. These events probably happened rather quickly and not much time in between. IMO

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nothing's conflicted. In the comics and novels leading up to "Jedi Trial", Obi-wan's a Jedi Knight with Master privlages as it relates to training Anakin. Anakin's still a Padawan. At the start of "Jedi Trial", Obi-wan is sent off on a separate mission, leaving Anakin to pair up with Neeja Halcyon to rescue the hostages on Prestalyin. At the end of the book, Mace and Yoda agree that it's time for Anakin to become a Knight. At the start of Chapter 21 of the Clone Wars cartoon, we jump ahead after the battle against Grievous. Now, Obi-wan is being made a Knight and Obi-wan's already been promoted to the Council and a full Master.

Where was it said that Obi-wan was promoted right after Mace returned from Harruan Kal?

21. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I smell the eeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

22. mustardlyman

mustardlyman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    February 17 1:15 pm

23. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    The Council could have done alot worse than promote Obi-Wan.

Whilst not the most powerful Jedi, Kenobi was a survivor - somehow, someway he got by.

Wasnt that retard that got shot off the balcony by Jango Fett (in front of Dooku) in AOTC a Jedi master?

If he was a Master then Kenobi should be a triple master!

LOL

24. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Above everything else, it was Kenobi's dedication for me that granted him the rank of master.

Even when the council asked him to do things he disagreed with he followed the orders.

just look at what he does in ROTS - he is willing to fight his brother and then spend the rest of his life watching over Luke.

Thats dedication for you. [face_hypnotized]

25. Hypernova

Hypernova Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Not only that but the only reson he agreed to train Anakin in the first place is because Qui-Gon asked him to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.