main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

When did "Star Wars" become Episode IV?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Achtung, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Achtung

Darth_Achtung Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    I searched the FAQs for this, but couldn't find an answer. From what I understand, Fox made GL release ANH as "Star Wars" first, and a few months later, he got to add the "Ep IV - A New Hope" in the crawl. Is this correct? When did the "official" title of the movie change to "Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope"?

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  2. Nyiestra

Nyiestra Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    Yes, that's correct. I'm not sure when it changed, though. But on the box (can't find mine at the moment, dammit) isn't "Star Wars" in larger letters and "A New Hope" in smaller letters?

3. renegadesith

renegadesith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I thought it had changed after TPM came out.

4. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    I have ANH recorded from tv in the mid 80's and the crawl said episode IV.

5. cronus8

cronus8 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    I think it became A New Hope when Lucas found out he would be able to make a sequel. Up until then he thought it would be a stand alone movie.

6. IH2

IH2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2005
    Lucas talks about it a couple of times on the DVD commentary..it was orginally going to always be Episode IV, Lucas got his way when the money rolled in at 20th Century Fox

7. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001

8. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    It was probably added at one of the re-releases in cinemas.

9. Nyiestra

Nyiestra Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it was added when he decided to make ESB... just don't know exactly when.

10. LordStraxus

LordStraxus Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2005
    I found this on the Official Site:
    Soon after the unexpected huge success of Star Wars, George Lucas announced that it was only one part in a multi-chapter saga, and almost immediately started production on the next part, The Empire Strikes Back. But there was also a pre-story that might get made someday, he said. The first movie really started "in the middle" of the story.
    Star Wars was still playing in numerous theaters a year after its opening on May 25, 1977. It was re-released in 1979, 1981 and 1982. But when was the change made? For the indisputable answer, we went to Lucasfilm's film archivist, Sterling Hedgpeth. Here's what he says:
    "I found a box with all the positive elements for the 'revised' opening crawl, and the assorted trim boxes are dated from October through December 1980. This, then, is consistent with the view that Episode IV: A New Hope was added for the first time to the opening crawl for the April 10, 1981 re-release."

11. macevspalpy113

macevspalpy113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    He added it to be consistant with ESB.

12. ArtfulDetour

ArtfulDetour Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    I remember when Time magazine did a 1980 cover story on the release of "Empire," they had a sidebar stating that "Star Wars" would now be subtitled "Episode IV: A New Hope." That was the first I'd heard of it.

13. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    This was added to the film on the last re-release before ESB's release. Back in the old days Lucas always re-release the Star Wars movies. I wish he would have done that this time. Re-release TPM before AOTC, etc.
    If you want a added date, I believe the last re-release before ESB was August 13th 1979 (with ESB coming out that following May 1980. A Teaser (or trailer) for ESB was attached to the re-release)

14. CDR_Praji

CDR_Praji Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    I see I chose well for my first post.

I think I can clear up the question. Being somewhat of an old fart, I saw Star Wars twice in 1977 in its initial release. At that time it was only titled 'Star Wars' and nothing else.

I saw the film twice more on rerelease in late summer 1978. At that time, I noticed the title change to the subtitle 'Episode IV: A New Hope'.

Remember, by 1978, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back began production after the fantastic success of the first film.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.